Criss' Thread

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    At this point we are pretty much done! The Outcast Small Factory is complete. It does not have a proper name, but seeing as how this is the small factory I am thinking something along the lines of the "Forge Class Factory Station"
    Would you consider uploading the blueprints to the dock so we can play with them? I kind of want one for my home base.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Would you consider uploading the blueprints to the dock so we can play with them? I kind of want one for my home base.
    As likely as that is to happen anyway, I'd rather we wait until they are in game. At that point they are as complete as they can be with the current mechanics and blocks.

Reactions: nightrune

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    you dont have to wait till criss uploads it to the CC. you can get it yourself by unzipping the "blueprints" file in StarMade>data>npcFactions>Outcasts folder. thats how i got all the blueprints to create the wiki page for each faction.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    you dont have to wait till criss uploads it to the CC. you can get it yourself by unzipping the "blueprints" file in StarMade>data>npcFactions>Outcasts folder. thats how i got all the blueprints to create the wiki page for each faction.
    That does not include new ones not yet added to the game files.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Hello. It's me! I've gotten past the neco-post warning that SMD threw at me so that I could provide another build update. Today we're taking a look at the Small Outcast Shop!

Where to start? At this point we have a very strong aesthetic to work towards when making our Outcast shops. The Forge class factory station from the last post is probably going to remain a solid basis for future Outcast builds. With this in mind, we created a few models. Not sure how many we made, but Saber and I mocked up some models and determined a general idea for the station.

As a shop we wanted it to accommodate a large number of ships. We came to the conclusion that the station should be larger and more sprawled out than the factory. I won't walk you through the process for designing it like last time. It was much more straight forward and we had little trouble arriving at the end product. A large portion of our time was spent tweaking the details to ensure everything meshed well.

Bare in mind that this is an unfinished station. There are plenty of details to add, adjust, and check. The turrets for example will be remade completely to fit more in line with Outcast designs.

I havent yet decided what to name this station. Seeing as how this is a small shop, and likely to appear on the fringes of Outcast space, I am thinking something along the lines of Arcadian Class. It's definition generally describes what I just laid out...

... Hmm, Arcadian class it is. To hell what Saber has to say about it. I like it, and it's staying. (I did literally just name it as I was typing this)

Moving inside, we can see the primary function of this station is to serve as a local hub for trade. The central market features various stalls lining the walls selling goods or equipment. A massive window lets in light from nearby stars. There are a few recreational activities to occupy oneself with here as well.

The same deck also features access to a primary engineering room, storage rooms, and airlocks to the landing pads outside. The deck below contains more storage, access to the docking tubes, and the Five Fore lounge. This particular location is just as much a hotbed of activity as the trade floor above.

As always the housing modules are tucked into the station. Many of these housing units will have a great view of the incoming traffic of the station.

The landing pads themselves are littered with cargo and equipment. Up to ten ships can land on the pads, and docking tubes underneath can connect another twelve ships to the station. I've included a teaser of something "new" in the image below, can you guess what it is?

Each side of the station features a control deck that faces the bustling docking ports. On the same level one can find the administrative offices. With this station we have finally come forth with a logo for the Outcasts. This comes after a couple dozen attempts between Saber and I. The Trading Guild logo is located on the upper half of that platform but I am unsure if we have released it yet. The Outcast logo is displayed prominently in the offices in the tower of the station.

With that, I bring this entry to a close. Since the last post we have completed a a whole Scavenger station, are about halfway done with another Outcast station, and have even concepted some new stuff for the Trade Guild. There will be quite a few things to show off in the coming months! Thanks for reading and thanks for playing Starmade!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As a shop we wanted it to accommodate a large number of ships.
    It looks lovely but please be aware that it also has to work on servers and computers that may not have the strongest possible CPU.

Since these are the default stations for the game. "users can offcourse always change them but a lot are unaware of this" I would suggest that you remove four docks. This will add a little more space to the four that remain. Ships parked are then not crammed together causing possible collision bugs. Total entity count might get very large if multiple ships with lots of turrets are parked on the station.

outstation4pad.jpg

Reaction score
    Hello. It's me! I've gotten past the neco-post warning that SMD threw at me so that I could provide another build update. Today we're taking a look at the Small Outcast Shop!

Where to start? At this point we have a very strong aesthetic to work towards when making our Outcast shops. The Forge class factory station from the last post is probably going to remain a solid basis for future Outcast builds. With this in mind, we created a few models. Not sure how many we made, but Saber and I mocked up some models and determined a general idea for the station.

As a shop we wanted it to accommodate a large number of ships. We came to the conclusion that the station should be larger and more sprawled out than the factory. I won't walk you through the process for designing it like last time. It was much more straight forward and we had little trouble arriving at the end product. A large portion of our time was spent tweaking the details to ensure everything meshed well.

Bare in mind that this is an unfinished station. There are plenty of details to add, adjust, and check. The turrets for example will be remade completely to fit more in line with Outcast designs.

I havent yet decided what to name this station. Seeing as how this is a small shop, and likely to appear on the fringes of Outcast space, I am thinking something along the lines of Arcadian Class. It's definition generally describes what I just laid out...

... Hmm, Arcadian class it is. To hell what Saber has to say about it. I like it, and it's staying. (I did literally just name it as I was typing this)

Moving inside, we can see the primary function of this station is to serve as a local hub for trade. The central market features various stalls lining the walls selling goods or equipment. A massive window lets in light from nearby stars. There are a few recreational activities to occupy oneself with here as well.

The same deck also features access to a primary engineering room, storage rooms, and airlocks to the landing pads outside. The deck below contains more storage, access to the docking tubes, and the Five Fore lounge. This particular location is just as much a hotbed of activity as the trade floor above.

As always the housing modules are tucked into the station. Many of these housing units will have a great view of the incoming traffic of the station.

The landing pads themselves are littered with cargo and equipment. Up to ten ships can land on the pads, and docking tubes underneath can connect another twelve ships to the station. I've included a teaser of something "new" in the image below, can you guess what it is?

Each side of the station features a control deck that faces the bustling docking ports. On the same level one can find the administrative offices. With this station we have finally come forth with a logo for the Outcasts. This comes after a couple dozen attempts between Saber and I. The Trading Guild logo is located on the upper half of that platform but I am unsure if we have released it yet. The Outcast logo is displayed prominently in the offices in the tower of the station.

With that, I bring this entry to a close. Since the last post we have completed a a whole Scavenger station, are about halfway done with another Outcast station, and have even concepted some new stuff for the Trade Guild. There will be quite a few things to show off in the coming months! Thanks for reading and thanks for playing Starmade!
    I really like it. It's nice, that the station is relatively small compared to other build scales that players are used to in SM. I would even make some smaller stations just to get a nice mix.

For future stations I suggest to add in some minigames. Even tick-tack-toe for example. Or nine men's morris ("Mühle" in german), or even chess. Or some mini-laser tag area. Or a maze. Or some memory game. The point is to inspire regular players just by exploring your stations. I know it might not fit the style, but maybe you like to consider it.

Reaction score
    In my opinion stuff like this, as nice as it may be, wouldn't really fit in the setting
    Yeah ofcourse, you are right. It can be put into a station nonetheless, just like some sort of easter egg. ;)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    causing possible collision bugs.
    You can't dock a ship if it doesn't fit. If players bring their large ships to land on those pads and they can't even fit them all then I'm not too worried about it.

add in some minigames
    To some degree this would be possible. I believe we sort of included a maze like structure on the TG homebase. If we put them in it has to make sense and fit. It would best work with abandoned stations where players need to resolve a mystery perhaps. I don't want to delve too deep into logic based stuff though. Something like chess would be too space-consuming.

This isnt something to be happy about
    I could post more regularly, but that comes with the possibility that I will run out of things to post about and you'll all be waiting again anyway. That's what happened with the ships. We had two dozen ships to post about and discuss here, then suddenly we switched to stations, which take much longer, and I couldn't show anything new off.

We are better at realizing our stations now, so they should come faster. There are also minor tweaks to various ships and I am sure I will be discussing chamber systems for our fleets once the updates start coming out.

Reactions: Macharius

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I could post more regularly, but that comes with the possibility that I will run out of things to post about and you'll all be waiting again anyway. That's what happened with the ships. We had two dozen ships to post about and discuss here, then suddenly we switched to stations, which take much longer, and I couldn't show anything new off.
    You could make a post about the progress on the stations every two weeks or so, it doesn't need to be a finished station in my opinion. This would be nice for people who don't watch the streams so they can see that there is stuff being worked on and what it is.
    Months of silence on threads like this just don't help your public image.

G

GDPR 302420

We are better at realizing our stations now, so they should come faster. There are also minor tweaks to various ships and I am sure I will be discussing chamber systems for our fleets once the updates start coming out.
    ANYTHING is better then nothing.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Three hour streams are news enough for me, however, I can see why watching or re-watching a stream isn't preferable for some, be it because of time, spread-out information, or both. So maybe station progress screenshots every couple weeks would suffice?

Station looks great, btw. ^-^

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Oh hey, it's this shit again.

Not all of us have the time to or want to watch the streams. Post regular updates. The fact that your own thread has necroed IS DISGRACEFUL. Update your fucking thread Criss. You can stream regularly but you can't take a couple screencaps from that stream and throw them in here after you're done?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Oh hey, it's this shit again.

Not all of us have the time to or want to watch the streams. Post regular updates. The fact that your own thread has necroed IS DISGRACEFUL. Update your fucking thread Criss. You can stream regularly but you can't take a couple screencaps from that stream and throw them in here after you're done?
    You realize that it's a privileged that the Devs share in game resources right? There is zero obligation for them to share anything at all that is still in development stages.

Stop being entitled.