In Developement Crew teleporter

Reaction score
    Astronaut weapons and tools were added but they were hard to make use of due to how hard it is to get into an enemy ship unless they left holes in their ship. Also pulse weapon was basicly useless so this will give it a good use as an anti astronaut weapon or even encourage turrets inside ships.

My suggestion on how to implement:

First you have to make a teleporter in the shape of a box with one side open so crew can get inside the teleporter, to teleport more crew in one go make a bigger teleporter that can fit more crew in.
    Then to teleport the crew, the person controlling the ship or the person using the teleporter computer will lock on to the targeted ship like the lock on missles.
    Once locked on the controller will charge then activate the module and all crew inside the teleporter will be teleported to a random location inside the targeted ship that can fit them. (Can make it targeted but not sure how that can be implemented).
    To teleport all crew back, the module should be reactivated. OR Crew will be teleported back after an amount of time that is proportionate to how long the module was charged.

Counters/Balance:
    Tweak Lock on time/Charge Time/Recharge time/Energy cost/Lock on Range.
    Charge/Recharge Time/Energy Cost can scale based on amount of crew teleported.
    Make so that enemy shields have to be below a certain threshold before you can teleport into them.
    Damaging modules can disable ability to recall teleported crew essentially trapping them with the enemy.
    Closed empty spaces can be placed in ship to improve chances of teleportation missing key areas

Effects:
    Using effect systems in addition to the teleporter can grant perks to the crew being teleported
    For example:
    EMP can disable systems which the crew shot
    Explosive can cause fires on systems which the crew shot
    Ion could grant the crew some shields
    Overdrive could grant crew extra max hp
    Piercing/Punch-Through does the same as ship weapons for the crew weapons
    Pull grants the crew gravity relative to the ship since they cant use enemy gravity unit
    Push can increase crew move speed
    Stop can freeze/slow enemy crew which the crew shot

Hope my ideas on how to implement helps!

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Reminds me a bit of FTL boarding, and doesn't sound overpowered considering that astronauts are at the mercy of traps and turrets (not to mention lock-on and charge time). Above all, it sounds fun, especially with an eventual astronaut update in mind. I like the way you tackled the problem.

Just one thing (or five):

http://starmadedock.net/threads/teleporters-like-in-star-trek.20093/

http://starmadedock.net/threads/different-teleportation-mechanic.6947/

http://starmadedock.net/threads/in-ship-teleporter.5711/

http://starmadedock.net/threads/transporters-ship-to-ship-teleportation.4278/

http://starmadedock.net/threads/teleportation-mechanic-suggestions.3431/

You may want to use the search button first next time :p . I guess it's fine since your suggestion appears to be different, but it's still worth a look to see if you're repeating any material.

Either way, nice suggestion. First one involving teleportation that doesn't sound OP as hell. +1

Reaction score
    You may want to use the search button first next time :p . I guess it's fine since your suggestion appears to be different, but it's still worth a look to see if you're repeating any material.
    When i was typing the title the auto search that came out didnt have it so my bad i guess

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    When i was typing the title the auto search that came out didnt have it so my bad i guess
    Ah yea, the search function can be derpy at times (or maybe you didn't tick the right boxes). Don't worry about it :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This willneed some more work, but I love the idea.
    Also itd be great to be able to beam aboard your ship, or to your base.
    It would need to be balanced though....... limited range, large power usage, long recharge time

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not sure about random teleport though. Seen lots of ships with big empty voids in the hull your boarding party could get teleported into. Some method of anchoring the location inside the ship would be better IMO.

Reaction score
    Not sure about random teleport though. Seen lots of ships with big empty voids in the hull your boarding party could get teleported into. Some method of anchoring the location inside the ship would be better IMO.
    It can always be targeted in an area if the devs can find a algorithm to do it

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would prefer a means to grapple a boarding ship onto another ships hull, then one could cut trough with a torch (or some clever logic-activated cutting beams) into the enemy ship. Seems more interesting than just zapping over too the enemy ship, and some cool designs for boarding ships could arise, where with teleporters you just set one up on any ship.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If I might suggest a slightly simpler approach? I like the idea above, but let's build toward it and see how the game develops. Here's a relatively light weight (development wise) method, just to get us started.

Creating a (transport/teleport/transmat) pad:
    • C select Salvage beam: (We already have a device that transports materials on-board ship. let's use it.)
    • V select an un-deathinator (Since we now have un-deathinators on ships, let's use them.)
    • V select a Camera (determines the view angle of the transport beam)
    • V select a salvage beam array (determines the range of the transport beam)
    • V select a gravity block (optional, will auto-activate gravity on arrival)
    Transporting:
    1. R select the salvage beam computer.
    2. Perspective shifts to the camera with only the salvage beam available in the menu.
    3. Left click to transport, escape to cancel.
    • If the beam strikes nothing, you are transported to the range of the teleporter
    • If the beam strikes an object, you are transported to where the beam strikes.
    • If the beam strikes an object that has a functioning transporter, AND (is friendly OR has no shields), you respawn at the transporter pad of that object.

Transporting someone else:
    1. R select the salvage beam computer.
    2. Perspective shifts to the camera with only the salvage beam available in the menu.
    3. Target another player and right click.
    • The player so struck will respawn at the connected undeathinator.

Recall:
    1. hit "R" when not looking at an R selectable block.
    • If your last used transporter is in range you will re-spawn there.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I like this idea a lot! You could actually be able to say "Beam me up Scotty!" :p May I suggest a pad you can make on stations that can teleport you to another ship in your faction?

EDIT: Destination marked possibly via the Marker Beam, adding a second use to it!

Reactions: Parameter

Jh

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe not the shield idea however. It would make getting into larger ships useless as with some ships (e.g. titans) they have more revharge then most ships have attack. Maybe have it take more power to use the stronger the shields are? Although even that might be hard.
    But other thsn that I like the idea.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would prefer a means to grapple a boarding ship onto another ships hull, then one could cut trough with a torch (or some clever logic-activated cutting beams) into the enemy ship. Seems more interesting than just zapping over too the enemy ship, and some cool designs for boarding ships could arise, where with teleporters you just set one up on any ship.
    Grappling could be used for ships where the shields are still up. Shields wont stop you from docking, grappling or torching.

If I might suggest a slightly simpler approach? I like the idea above, but let's build toward it and see how the game develops. Here's a relatively light weight (development wise) method, just to get us started....
    While it sounds like it may be easier to do it this way, it comes across as overly complicated for regular users to build. I do like the idea of being able to aim the transporter beam :)

I like this idea a lot! You could actually be able to say "Beam me up Scotty!" :p May I suggest a pad you can make on stations that can teleport you to another ship in your faction?

EDIT: Destination marked possibly via the Marker Beam, adding a second use to it!
    I like being able to transport with ease between friendly ships without aiming a beam, but having to mark a transporter pad with a beam, make it harder to transport to a new ship. We need transporter coordinates:)

Reaction score
    I like the idea of building a "security risk" to your ship:

What about getting the option to teleport to on teleportert choosen from a list of teleporters in range - including enemies?

Just like: I can get out, they can get in.

If the other one has no teleporter do es suggested: random places. If its a wide open space inside the ship, why not?

You could add a counter massurement: A Teleport Jammer, deaktivating all teleporterts in range (including own ones).

The problem i see with the connect-by-beam version is, this could be used to get out, to your base, getting stuff you need and be back in a second without travelling the 2 million kilometers it could be between you and your ship.

Oh and GaeasSon, i'm still with the round thingi which should be on top of the long thingi... i think its a little bit complicated for the user ;)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    What about getting the option to teleport to on teleportert choosen from a list of teleporters in range - including enemies?

Just like: I can get out, they can get in.
    This would be kinda annoying, it would almost be the equivalent of enemies spawning on a ship you just stole, not the most fun thing to deal with.

Reaction score
    kiddan, stolen in "now its mine"?

Deaktivate the teleportert by deconstruction or activate the jammer (if existing).

As an addition:
    They know you could come in via teleporter, i wouldn't let this thing to be ungarded ... and now my nonungarded barly to get teleporter is yours: use it against me.

Edit:
    Hm... as i read my own post:

There should always be an option to just teleport in, whether there is or isn't a teleporter

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Basically this eliminates the need for any type of boarding craft. I'm against any sort of ship to ship teleport. Fixed point teleport ( aka stargates) are one thing, but this hurts the game, imo. If we could get internal sensors to go with it, then maybe I wouldn't fight it.

Reaction score
    I'm not quite shure how internal sensors would fight the base problem of boarding crafts getting washed away, maybe you could explain this further.

I would agree with you: I wouldn't recomend the system without an apropriat counter. Thats why i would recommend an anti-teleport-block.
    So a ship with this block has to get borded like every other ship old days (now).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    My problem is that you wouldn't even have a chance to see them coming. With internal sensors you would get a warning that you'd been boarded and know where to send your security crew.

An anti-teleport would work as well, but it just seems like a hack. If your going to have it, why have teleporters?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Maybe an anti-teleporter reduces the accuracy of the teleportation? Your teleporting assault team ends up spread throughout the ship, maybe even with a couple members outside, but still aligned to the ship.

Alternately, maybe the anti-teleporter is a teleport redirecter. Your teleporting assault team ends up teleporting directly into the brig instead of the bridge.

Maybe you have to use sensors to see the inside of the other ship so you know where to teleport the crew? Then an anti-teleport defense is better sensors or scramblers to keep your opponent from seeing your ship's innards.

Ultimately, I think internal ship defenses are probably the best anti-teleport defense.