Votes: 17 58.6%
    • No, I´m sporty

Votes: 10 34.5%
    • I don´t care, big ships are too big for me

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Hey Guys,

I´ve build a really big ship on my own ingame but I need like 5 minutes just for walking from the Hangar to the Bridge...

How about an in-ship teleporting System?

It shouldn´t be exactly like the warpgates because with them you don´t spawn at the same point every time but the idea behind the warpgates is not false.
    If you have a "pointer" (P) in teleporter A that points to an other block like the trigger area controller (C) in teleporter B, you could beam players from an activated block to an area connected to the area controller.
    So that players are able to built teleport-rooms in their ships.
    For the math and the right beam position you could also take the ship-chunks so that the P knows in which chunk the C has to be.
    If that is too difficult you could tell the P to which coordinates he should beam, depending on the coordinates with the ship core on 0.0.0

Hope you like my idea, walking in an sandbox universe sucks :D

Edit from 09.02.15 for interested readers, after reading the edit continue by post #15:
    Nope, disagree.

would remove the need for corridors. we're getting rails soon, make a lift
    Lifts in ships will work, too, but thats not why I want in-Ship-Teleporters. My Ship has 740x520metres and I build every Room reachable with corridors but Teleporters would make scenarios possible like "Hey, there are Problems in machine room and the teleporters are off, run to the machine room and look what the problem is..."

or use gravity in your corridor just place it in the way that you fall all the way down to where you gotte go
    Not the same, for me just not an option to go with.

#
    or walk
    or park closer to the core
    or use the arrows to switch from docked ship to the main ship
    or literally any other way of getting around :p

I'm all for inter-structure transporters, but against beaming around the ship itself.
    parking closer to the core is not the same feeling and not possible for every ship.

transporters would be fine, as long as they are power-expensive, and scale both with the mass being transported AND the distance. then there's no need to put artificial prohibitions on teleportation between stations or from a ship to a station or planet (star trek style) - just make sure the power curve is geometric >:-D

then teleporting anything bigger than an astronaut or anything at all more than a few hundred meters would require a million-block power core.
    Planet to Ship teleporters are not the same thing and maybe an option with special devices and really heavy energy costs.

Any teleporters should be either astronaut-only, or have a hard size limit of 7x7x7. No power limit is needed for size, but there should be a max transport range and it should require maybe 10,000 energy per person or per 1-2 mass. Also, there should definitely be a (non-reduce-able) cooldown.
    Yep, totally agree with your opinion!

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Nope, disagree.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    or use gravity in your corridor just place it in the way that you fall all the way down to where you gotte go

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    #
    or walk
    or literally any other way of getting around :P

I'm all for inter-structure transporters, but against beaming around the ship itself.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Nope, disagree.

Nope, disagree.

Having teleporters will be expensive (and probably cost a lot of power) so hall ways wont go. Could also be limited by a certain ammo or cooldown. They could be made in a way that would make them only worth having if having to teleport large distances.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Astronauts can use warpgates without a ship, although typically arrival point isn't very precise. I haven't tried it over such a short distance but it might be worth testing tiny intra-station warp doorways - may be more precise over short distances. I don't know.

Or just go with the classic gravity shaft.
    Or build a core tube between the far ends of your station with un-enhanced docks at each end holding some cores to zip across, re-dock and hop out. Basically a horizontal, high-speed elevator.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423152570,1423152092][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, the warpgate doesn't work. Going between a pair of doors 10 blocks apart still throws you about 80 meters away.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the OP suggestion. It would add a lot of options. It should probably be super-expensive both in terms of block price and stand-by energy usage. Most people will probably not use it. With that said, if it were developed, it might be implemented very late in this game's development cycle, in case there aren't enough Block IDs to support it.

I had an idea of using this as a shortcut version of an elevator, preferably with the option to select one of several possible destinations. After all, I don't need to stand in a tiny room (elevator car) for a minute, when in reality, I just need to get to a destination.

Typically, in SciFi media, you only "ride along" with characters in an elevator if there is an important plot point to be discussed. Otherwise, characters just "appear" at their level when the elevator door opens and the character does their thing. That's why I could use this for quick-travel in-ship, without needing to actually ride the elevator.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i would like this BUT i like having corridors what i think it should work like is that if you are near a ship that has a teleporter you can use the teleporter to go to that ship from your ship so the only way it would work would be if you are allowed to via permissions one thing this could work with is small ships that can not fit shuttle bays i think it would be a good idea but it would have to have a range like say 100 meters so that you can not effectively use them in a fight. Also it should have a cool down as well (another reason i would love this is so i can use the transporter room in one or two of my ships

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah... I really want INTER-SHIP transporters, but an intra-ship transporter just seems kind of lame. If you really have corridors that take too long to walk through, do what I did and build a grav tube. Falling is really fast. Besides, we'll be able to make lifts soon, which should help too.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    transporters would be fine, as long as they are power-expensive, and scale both with the mass being transported AND the distance. then there's no need to put artificial prohibitions on teleportation between stations or from a ship to a station or planet (star trek style) - just make sure the power curve is geometric >:-D

then teleporting anything bigger than an astronaut or anything at all more than a few hundred meters would require a million-block power core.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Any teleporters should be either astronaut-only, or have a hard size limit of 7x7x7. No power limit is needed for size, but there should be a max transport range and it should require maybe 10,000 energy per person or per 1-2 mass. Also, there should definitely be a (non-reduce-able) cooldown.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    there should be a max transport range
    Why?

Players build 10-million block titans, why not 10-million block reactors to hop around from planet to planet within a sector or two range? Tele-titan fun isn't allowed, only missile titan? Seems random, like saying there should be a cap on missile damage or number of beams a single core can support. I'm pretty sure a 10-million block titan hits servers performance AT least as much as a 10-million block power would.

Accurate teleportation wouldn't be OP if users had to basically choose between very restricted mass or very restricted range when they build it due to insane energy demands. The RP players would benefit a lot from it.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Why?

Players build 10-million block titans, why not 10-million block reactors to hop around from planet to planet within a sector or two range? Tele-titan fun isn't allowed, only missile titan? Seems random, like saying there should be a cap on missile damage or number of beams a single core can support. I'm pretty sure a 10-million block titan hits servers performance AT least as much as a 10-million block power would.

Accurate teleportation wouldn't be OP if users had to basically choose between very restricted mass or very restricted range when they build it due to insane energy demands. The RP players would benefit a lot from it.
    We have jumpdrives and Warp gates for ships to travel long distances. If you want to go planet to planet, then get a small ship to jump. If we do get something like tele-pads, it would probably be better to just leave it as player-only for jumping short distances, cause we already have ways for planet to station or such.

Reaction score
    Nope, disagree.

Lifts in ships will work, too, but thats not why I want in-Ship-Teleporters. My Ship has 740x520metres and I build every Room reachable with corridors but Teleporters would make scenarios possible like "Hey, there are Problems in machine room and the teleporters are off, run to the machine room and look what the problem is..."

Not the same, for me just not an option to go with.

#
    or walk
    or literally any other way of getting around :p

parking closer to the core is not the same feeling and not possible for every ship.

Planet to Ship teleporters are not the same thing and maybe an option with special devices and really heavy energy costs.

Yep, totally agree with your opinion!

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So you want us to have transporters so that they can not work and you need to walk anyway o_O

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I had a suggestion for transporters a while back. I'm sure i could find it for you if i wasn't in my phone.

Drybreeze

Simply complicated.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You already have an ingame in ship teleport system. Create a teleporter unit of some sort and dock it wherever in your ship you want to teleport to. Get as creative as you like or just have a simple single ship core.

Enter one core and just use arrow keys to get about and un enter at your desired destination.

No need for any game additions whatsoever.

Reaction score
    This is something we have discussed internally before. There is an obvious intrigue in it, but as some have pointed out, we will have to be careful to not spoil other game mechanics.

Reaction score
    This is something we have discussed internally before. There is an obvious intrigue in it, but as some have pointed out, we will have to be careful to not spoil other game mechanics.
    I don`t think you would spoil other game mechanics while implementing this. You could implement an invisible block "teleport area" and a visible block "teleport controller". If you link the area to the controller and "use" the controller ingame you could simply spawn in the area. It would be like a temporarily new spawn but after using the teleporter you should restore the real spawn. In this case if you really use the spawn idea, you should make sure, that you don´t lose credits and/or items while teleporting.

In the picture you may can see better what i mean.
    example.jpg
    If you are "using" the blue contoller block (located in the red teleporter room) you will spawn in the blue teleporter room and if you use the red controller you spawn in the red teleporter room.
    energy costs and other permitions should be depending on the mass of the player and the distance between controller and area.

Attachments