Different teleportation mechanic

Reaction score
    I've seen a couple of teleportation posts in the suggestion section, and all of them were designed after the teleporters of Star Trek and used complicated mechanics and weren't very versatile.

Now I am suggesting an easy to use simple teleportation system that is more similar to old alien abduction movies:

The beam can teleport players down to planets, and back up without the need of building a platform.
    To teleport down, they just stand on the modules and activate the computer.
    To get back up, they just have to step in the beam.

Their gravity will be set to the object they are teleporting to. (more on this later)

It would mean undiscovered planets can still be accessible without the need to land.
    And 1 player ships are able to stay in orbit while the player is on the planet and he can easily get back in his ship.

Ship to ship teleportation could also work.
    Either by dropping down and having their gravity set to the ship to board it.
    Or if both ships have a teleport system and both activate it at the same time, it is possible to teleport to the other ships teleport platform. (also the player gravity in changed to the other ship, but this is not 100% necessary)
    The mechanics would be the same as the docking beam in order to select the other ship.

Now of course there would need to be some limits. What I propose is:

Ship must be completely still in order to use the beam. Moving it again will cancel the beam.
    This is so it is pretty hard to abduct unwilling players, but not impossible.
    Ship can not be cloaked.
    Even harder to abduct.
    Option to make it faction teleport only in server config.
    For the servers who want to completely disable abductions
    Option to make it faction teleport only on teleport computer.
    So ships can not be invaded by other factions
    Size limit of something like 7x7 and only 1 per ship!
    So this can not happen:

So tell me what you think.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    How do they "stand" on the modules? Do you mean the back-side of the module? Or on the front, where the beam exits?
    The back-side. The other side from where the beam exits.
    Either by actually touching the modules, or by being in a "docking-style" area.

It would also mean players have to build teleport rooms, giving a bit more usefulness to interiors.

*edit*
    I think I know why you asked that.
    This system isn't supposed to be like an one sided slow elevator like in the movies.
    It is actually a teleporter.
    If you jump in the beam, it teleports you directly in the ship, through blocks and all that.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Size limit of something like 7x7 and only 1 per ship!
    If you say only 1 per ship, I would dock one and use that teleporter :)
    • no need for such a not-limit.
    Why not a size limit by a softcap?
    • power-cost = x*y*z
      • y=height = x+z?
    • +5% extra per installed teleporter on the same ship (except the first, as it would produce stats confusing people comparing their first tp with them).
    How do they "stand" on the modules? Do you mean the back-side of the module? Or on the front, where the beam exits?
    On top of it (depending on player gravity, player may «activate / interact with» the block he steps on)

It would also mean players have to build teleport rooms, giving a bit more usefulness to interiors.
    Yes+1
    Except you use many docked ships as rooms which are connected to each other just by teleporters.