In Developement Crew teleporter

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I really do like the idea, but I think there needs to be more to astronaut mode before this is implemented. Depending on what features are added to astronaut mode, the discussion on teleport-boarding may be different.

For example, right now a boarding party can't sabotage shields, shield regen, engines, or turret controls (these would be great places for a teleport-beam to target). There aren't any AI crew members/alien creatures, which would really add dynamics to this (a mess hall, dorm, zoo, med lab, etc. as potential landing zones). There aren't ways to give astronauts buffs, shields, or armor. There aren't any traps for astronauts aside from turrets, nor is there a jet-pack or personal grav pack (image a ship with one block way away by itself to artificially extend the ship's box dimensions so astronauts are less likely to teleport to within the ship).

If any one of these things were implemented, then the approach to how teleport boarding works, and its usefulness, will change.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I really do like the idea, but I think there needs to be more to astronaut mode before this is implemented. Depending on what features are added to astronaut mode, the discussion on teleport-boarding may be different.

For example, right now a boarding party can't sabotage shields, shield regen, engines, or turret controls (these would be great places for a teleport-beam to target). There aren't any AI crew members/alien creatures, which would really add dynamics to this (a mess hall, dorm, zoo, med lab, etc. as potential landing zones). There aren't ways to give astronauts buffs, shields, or armor. There aren't any traps for astronauts aside from turrets, nor is there a jet-pack or personal grav pack (image a ship with one block way away by itself to artificially extend the ship's box dimensions so astronauts are less likely to teleport to within the ship).

If any one of these things were implemented, then the approach to how teleport boarding works, and its usefulness, will change.
    OBJECTION! :mad: Boarding parties can sabotage shields, shield regen, engines, and turret controls with the Torch Beam, they can ignore the shields infact! And waddaya mean no AI crew? The current NPC purchasable crew should work pretty well as guards.
    You may now resume your normal discussion, thank you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    OVER RULED

The torch can bypass shields, yes. But it takes several seconds (if not minutes) to destroy a single block. That's pretty useless as far as 'sabatage' goes. Destroying a single Shield-Recharger block isn't going to even smudge the paint on a Titan. If you can get to a connector block, you might be able to disable a docked unit.

The current purchasable AI crew can't even stay on the ship if you move it. They are placeholders and bobby is smarter. I don't even think they have weapons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I can take out a weapon if I Torch Beam the weapon computer. An entire system goes down with one block destroyed. I can't do anything remotely similar with shields/engines/shield regen/turning capacity/turrets/docks/rail systems.

If each system on a ship had a computer that acted as control then boarding parties would be able to do much, much more. It would probably also result in ships being built with redundant systems (you don't want one massive gun because that's only one weapon comp. Better make it 2 or 3 smaller guns. Same with shield systems and engines.). It would also make sense to have a turret control computer, a docking control computer, a door control computer, etc.

Think of it this way: boarding party teleports in, fights to the control room, breaks the shield regen computer, then hops out. That is a major hit to the ship, and now the cannons and missiles will do the rest.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I can take out a weapon if I Torch Beam the weapon computer. An entire system goes down with one block destroyed. I can't do anything remotely similar with shields/engines/shield regen/turning capacity/turrets/docks/rail systems.

If each system on a ship had a computer that acted as control then boarding parties would be able to do much, much more. It would probably also result in ships being built with redundant systems (you don't want one massive gun because that's only one weapon comp. Better make it 2 or 3 smaller guns. Same with shield systems and engines.). It would also make sense to have a turret control computer, a docking control computer, a door control computer, etc.

Think of it this way: boarding party teleports in, fights to the control room, breaks the shield regen computer, then hops out. That is a major hit to the ship, and now the cannons and missiles will do the rest.
    This actualy seems like a good idea, maybe Sheilds/thrusters etc can still operate if the computer goes down but at a reduced efficiency (50%?)

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    This actualy seems like a good idea, maybe Sheilds/thrusters etc can still operate if the computer goes down but at a reduced efficiency (50%?)
    who puts real computers in rp space if you teleported onto my smallest actual ship which is 35x35x103 you would have to torch your way through 1 hull block and about 12 system blocks in any direction to get to a "real computer" if people could sabotage computers on ships via teleporting all that would do is cause people to put the actual computers out of reach which would by proxy completely kill any real possibility of having fully crewed ships because honestly while it would be cool to have a reason to have 3 of my friends on my titan i'd kick them all off if the alternative was someone could randomly teleport onto my ship and take out all my shield regeneration cause they got a "lucky teleport"

or what about ships with no rp space? are those not allowed anymore? if a ship doesn't have rp space do you automatically teleport into the only enclosed space on the ship aka the core room cause idk that seems broken to me I don't think you should be punished for not having rp space.

so many things wrong with being able to teleport onto an enemy ship I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it if the shields were down but at that point you've pretty much already won and it would take a boarding party much longer to disable the ship than it would take you to do it by shooting your weapons at it a few more times.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    At this current point in time, offensive boarding is kinda pointless.... if you can board, then you could also bust open the hull.
    You can still core ships btw, all you gotta do is destroy the faction block and youve disabled the ENTIRE ship :)
    Star made would need a lot of reworking to make it a viable tactic.

That being said, passive teleporting between allied vessels and stations would be very cool.
    Say you can only teleport between allied stations, to another teleported that has been linked.
    Each teleport computer can be linked to up to (x) other teleporter computers using the target bemas used for warp computers 9or could have a passcode system??)
    Once linked they store the infomation, then IF both teleporters are within (x) distance from each other, the player can select the destination, and pressing a button linked to the computer will teleport all entities within the area (created with invisible blocks (like triggerblocks) which are linked to the computer) to within the trigger area of the selected, linked teleporter.

Alternativly, ive seen suggestions that the player has to go into the computer, which comes up with a separate hotbar which can be used to teleport the player

This would mean that if you Hijack a ship which is linked to a teleporter on another ship you could use it to teleport onto their ship (unless they remove that teleporter from their teleporter computer)

I would suggest a maximum of 1 computer PER ship/station, and each can store connections to (x) other teleporters.
    All the trigger blocks must be touching each other.

What do you guys think:?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Destroying the faction block doesn't do anything other than make the ship or station fair game. You can blast people out of their cores though if you can get direct damage on it by a torch or other means.

Reaction score
    At this current point in time, offensive boarding is kinda pointless.... if you can board, then you could also bust open the hull.
    You can still core ships btw, all you gotta do is destroy the faction block and youve disabled the ENTIRE ship :)
    Star made would need a lot of reworking to make it a viable tactic.

That being said, passive teleporting between allied vessels and stations would be very cool.
    Say you can only teleport between allied stations, to another teleported that has been linked.
    Each teleport computer can be linked to up to (x) other teleporter computers using the target bemas used for warp computers 9or could have a passcode system??)
    ~snip~?
    I have absolutely no problem with teleporters I just don't want people who are not my friends to be able to teleport onto my ship i think teleporters would be incredibly convenient especially when you start to get above the 500m build range even for use on the same ship/entity i just don't believe teleportation should be a viable attack approach. I also think boarding / breaching needs another pass There probably should be a way to viably board / breach a target ship thats not a torch that takes 2 minutes to destroy a single advanced armor block, it just should not be the ability to willy nilly teleport onto an enemy ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have absolutely no problem with teleporters I just don't want people who are not my friends to be able to teleport onto my ship i think teleporters would be incredibly convenient especially when you start to get above the 500m build range even for use on the same ship/entity i just don't believe teleportation should be a viable attack approach. I also think boarding / breaching needs another pass There probably should be a way to viably board / breach a target ship thats not a torch that takes 2 minutes to destroy a single advanced armor block, it just should not be the ability to willy nilly teleport onto an enemy ship.
    I agree, there needs to be a lot of balancing work etc done before breaching becomes viable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    There are several ways to effectively "teleport" into a hostiles ship as the game is now, but it requires a bit of planning and finesse. The method I suggested earlier for teleporting into a ship required a boarding party member to torch or warhead into the hostile ship first then use a teleport beacon.
    *Standing in a dark alley, gesturing for you to approach.*
    "Rumor has it, you're looking for a... teleporter" *Shifty eyed glance left and right.*
    Teleportation

Intention:
    Sending players or entities between teleport areas.

Items:
    teleport computer(block)/teleport module(block)

Set up:

1. Place teleport computer and define the teleport area using teleport modules, standard linking using C and V.

2. A name can be given to the teleport by clicking the "set teleport name" button (generic names will be entity name followed by a number).

3. Select permission setting for receiving entities (similar to the shop; faction only, allies, no enemies, anyone).

Establish connection:

1. Fly within range of ship, asteroid, station, or planet with a teleporter on it (range being the 27 sector volume cube dimensions 3x3x3 with player in the center).

2. a.If piloting ship, press teleport hotkey or go into build mode and press r on teleport computer (hotkey as in similar to the shop hotkey).
    b.If astronaut, go to teleport computer and press r.

3. Teleport menu pops up, click on "scan teleports" button.

4. It brings up a list of all teleports in range with columns labeled; target, teleport name, faction, status, distance.

Teleport name: name in the receiving teleport computer

Faction: name of the faction that owns the entity the receiving teleport computer is placed on

Distance: distance between receiving entities marker and the sending entities marker

Status: if teleport possible a green "ok " is displayed else
    red text displaying:

-"permission" Displayed when denied, based on permission setting.

-"power" Displayed if the receiving teleporter lacks enough maintenance power yet it still has a
    proper computer connected to teleport area modules.

-"cooldown" Displayed if the receiving computer has successfully received a teleport and is cooling
    down before being ready for the next.

-"blocked" Displayed if a player or entity is in the receiving area.

Target: this column is to have exclusive tick boxes to select which receiving computer will be sent to (only one may be selected per sending computer).

5. After selecting a valid target tick box in the target column click "link" button to establish connection.

6. The receiving teleport then transmits its available teleport volume to the sending teleporter which projects that area within its own teleport area via highlight box. The box is yellow if receiving entity cannot accept entire sending entity teleport area.

-If the receiving area is equal or exceeds the sending area, in that the entire sending area could be sent, then the sending area is given a green highlight box encompassing its entirety.

Sending:

1. Assuming all has gone well with connecting, stand whatever entities you want to send in the highlighted area, if an entity is half in and out of that area it won't be sent.

2. Initiate transport with either logic true signal to computer, or "send" button within the sending computers r menu .

-Power required based on range and number/mass to transport.

-Power only required on the sending end, receiving end only needs maintenance power based on number of teleport area modules.

3. Cool-down period occurs after a successful send, after which the next entity/entities may be placed in the highlighted area and sent.

Combat teleport/personal transport

Items: teleport beacon (meta item)

Setup:

1. Acquire a teleport beacon from a shopkeep.

2. Equip the teleport beacon in the hotbar and select it.

3. Point the equipped teleport beacon at the desired teleport computer and hold right click to assign that computer to the beacon.

Use:

1. Receiving:

-Left click on a block with a clearance of (2X)x(2Y) to bring entity waiting in transport area or hold left click and entity will spawn in space nearest you if there is room.

-Only one entity per cool down.

2. Sending:

- Pointing beacon at faction/ally entity(not to exceed 4 block volume) and right click will return them to the beacon linked teleporter (one per cool-down period) if it's still in range.

- Holding right click without pointing at a faction/ally entity will return the holder to the linked teleporter area.

Sending and receiving should have a cool-down period.

TL/DR:

1. Designated teleport areas that can be accessed through teleport computer that can send whatever you fit inside the teleport area (think crew and cargo blocks).
    2. A personal teleporter item that would allow combat teleporting into another ship but you have to get a guy inside through normal torch usage/warhead hole poking to do so.

"Pleasure doing business with ya." *Drunkenly stumbles off into the dark*

Also for intra-ship teleportation you can just use a "ship" that has 1 core docked to it so you're guaranteed to go to only the other core on up arrow, and dock several of those in your ship.