Votes: 19 63.3%
    • No

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Have a cool beaming control center to beam to and back from planets and ships. But make it that you need to one to beam to another one. So it can be balanced. Also make it that you can lock it so people won't beam to your ship. And make it if you are in a little away from your ship you can have a friend beam you up.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We do need transporters, but they should be something unique rather than ripping off other franchises

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Maybe the startrek kiddies would like this but it doesn't belong in starmade.

No.

If its going to be done it should use current warpgate type stuff.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would prefer micro-gates as well.

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Could lead to interesting boarding situations, but I want to say no.
    Defeats the point of USD.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yea, I don't like teleporters because they are used as a crutch for the plot of shows instead of finding creative solutions to how people get around. Similarly, in starmade they would be used as a way to get around creative design for boarding, as one can simply put down a teleporter on whatever ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Most discussions I've seen before lean more towards using a stargate system. I don't think the devs have chimed in, but they haven't rejected the suggestions either. The only thing I can say for certain is that warp gates will be receiving more functionality at some point.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm this does give me an idea though, what if the teleporters were special destroyable blocks? Without some kind of logic based security anyone could use one teleporter to get to another providing it was in range. Say the range in half a sector or so at max and each use either direction of a teleporter block or group of blocks would have a cooldown so it couldn't be abused too badly. Also restricting teleporters to astronauts is a very good idea so we don't have ships appearing out of nowhere. Larger teleporters shouldn't be able to move a larger amount of mass to a teleporter that has a smaller mass limit. Less blocks for a teleporter = less mass limit, more blocks = higher mass limit, try to send a larger mass to a lower mass limit and only what in under that mass gets through everything else either doesn't get sent or dies. :)

You can see where this goes and if done right it wouldn't be that OP and is good for those that don't want to land a few million tons of ship on a planet only to have the server admin instakill their ship for ever. XD Since in this setup it takes 2 teleporters to work and without using logic to lock it anyone could teleport to another teleporter from one. :) As long as the range doesn't exceed half a sector I got no issues with it. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    hmm this does give me an idea though, what if the teleporters were special destroyable blocks? Without some kind of logic based security anyone could use one teleporter to get to another providing it was in range. Say the range in half a sector or so at max and each use either direction of a teleporter block or group of blocks would have a cooldown so it couldn't be abused too badly. Also restricting teleporters to astronauts is a very good idea so we don't have ships appearing out of nowhere. Larger teleporters shouldn't be able to move a larger amount of mass to a teleporter that has a smaller mass limit. Less blocks for a teleporter = less mass limit, more blocks = higher mass limit, try to send a larger mass to a lower mass limit and only what in under that mass gets through everything else either doesn't get sent or dies. :)

You can see where this goes and if done right it wouldn't be that OP and is good for those that don't want to land a few million tons of ship on a planet only to have the server admin instakill their ship for ever. XD Since in this setup it takes 2 teleporters to work and without using logic to lock it anyone could teleport to another teleporter from one. :) As long as the range doesn't exceed half a sector I got no issues with it. :)
    Thats what I mean something like that.

Reaction score
    I think a teleporter system that you can link like the wireless systems so you can teleport between say turrets or other parts of the ship would be awesome. Just keep it for players only.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Why would I ever make shuttles when I could just beam someone over? Completely removes the need for one of the few variations in ship sizes we have right now. No thanks.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't care if it's like Star Trek. Short disaffect point-to-point personal teleportation would be a nice feature. I don't know why people are so agains the idea. It doesn't outmode anything else. It's just another option. Shuttles are needed to access a new planet's surface and build a teleport station on the surface. Docking is still necessary to keep ships from getting bumped around by klutzy pilots and to take advantage of home base invulnerability.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with
    I don't care if it's like Star Trek. Short disaffect point-to-point personal teleportation would be a nice feature. I don't know why people are so agains the idea. It doesn't outmode anything else. It's just another option. Shuttles are needed to access a new planet's surface and build a teleport station on the surface. Docking is still necessary to keep ships from getting bumped around by klutzy pilots and to take advantage of home base invulnerability.
    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Valiant70, I know there are allot of good reasons not to have it, but I want it anyway. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd prefer to have dropships, shuttles and boarding pods myself not just as an alternative but a mainstay of planetside/station travel and boarding endeavors. Teleportation is kind of simple but also rather cheap and killing potential for the above to have much point.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd prefer to have dropships, shuttles and boarding pods myself not just as an alternative but a mainstay of planetside/station travel and boarding endeavors. Teleportation is kind of simple but also rather cheap and killing potential for the above to have much point.
    How the heck are you going to board someone with a teleporter if they have it locked down? Dropships and boarding pods would still be needed if the target has no teleporter or if they lock it down during battle like sensible people.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd rather have warp gates have you actually come out of the other gate instead of just dumping you somewhere in that sector.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd rather have warp gates have you actually come out of the other gate instead of just dumping you somewhere in that sector.
    Gonna go ahead and wholeheartedly agree with you on that one.

A new type of teleporter block is unnecessary once the warp gates act as point-to-point gates.
    Anybody wanting to make a wide range of warp locations will just have to make a gate room with a dozen gates or something.