What happened to Starmade?

Reaction score
    none of these things add anything to any gameplay
    yeah Minecraft did it right imo. we had mobs and npcs that gave life to the world, and the pvp was actually blunt but it was worthwhile.

I don't know why Schema never tried to fix the balance between beams cannons and missiles. - But right now it would be even better if we only had cannons, and a thrust that is slow enough so we can hit each other.

I see talent from a development perspective, but from a gameplay adding perspective I see that he really needs to learn something.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    the game died because schine pushed p2 and w3 even with all the obvious problems with them, and then when those updates turned out to be complete garbage and made building and fighting a complete pain people just left. now the only people left are a few fanboys who refuse to accept that the base game is broken and will screech if you dare contradict them.
    Yeah everyone who likes a different part of the game than you is obviously a screeching fanboy. So please show me a space game with better building so I can move on. Oh you can't? Well I also can't find one.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yeah everyone who likes a different part of the game than you is obviously a screeching fanboy. So please show me a space game with better building so I can move on. Oh you can't? Well I also can't find one.
    good roast, for once I agree with something you say lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    you're mostly right in that starmade still has some of the best building of any space lego game, issue is that it used to have good building and good systems so you could take good looking ships and go have fights with them. so the game isnt as horrible for you if you happen to only like building shells and dont care about pvp. supposedly avorion has good building if you want to go check that out

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Man coming back here brings back memories, and seeing the game so dormant makes me kinda sad. I tried to get back into this game but the new power system was a little to confusing. So I just quit, hopefully the universe update brings the game to relevancy again.

Ciggofwar

Home of Titan Guard
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Can we actually get the 2013 version still? The reason is that's what I really enjoyed ~ because it had sound and adjustable sliders for your turrets, it was simple to interface with.

Chckn Wildstyle

Design Head of Cabal Weapons/Technologies (CWT)
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Games like these require servers that can attract fans at the beginning. Minecraft had these, Rust had these, Ark had these, etc., but this game has never been easy, or at least decent, for server owners. Too many features that could have went well were never fully implemented. Pirate waves, for one, would allow customization in the menu for server owners, but there was never actually any code in the backend to make it work. It would pick 1, and only 1, of the 10 waves you could customize and only spawn that. It made the enemies (even ones created by players) stale or overpowered or both.

There was no way to limit player movement either in game. In a game like this, having people piss off to 1 million sectors in some direction and essentially play single player on a server is also no way to breed engagement among the players. Resource scarcity was then never a thing as when one system was stripped dry, there was always another star system.

Many features also got ripped out for no reason that were actually quite nice. I remember the Cubatom system where you could synthesize blocks out of other blocks. Not necessary, yes, but cool and still at least a little functional. <-- Scrapped. I also remember when ores had levels from 1 to 5 so that some ore would be more valuable than others and people would use them to barter at different rates. <-- Scrapped.

Then there comes the feedback from players. The devs never seemed to listen to the players in any meaningful way other than keeping yes-men around them. PvPers had plenty of balancing ideas for power and weapons that would have fixed things without needing to rip out and remake a system several times. PvPers wanted to help, but when being ignored at every turn they couldn't, I couldn't, help but be jaded at the devs. It was patently obvious that the devs didn't really understand the balancing of their own game because they didn't play it enough to possibly be able to.

On top of this is a toxic forum. And not in a toxic way that you might think. Nothing can be negative. At all. Ever. Notice that the only thing you can do is like a post. Not dislike, just like. Also refer to how useless the ratings are in the CC. I can go on about this, but I don't want this post to get deleted by a salty boy.

This game had a myriad of problems, has a myriad of problems. Perhaps with one or two it could have survived, but the overall bombardment of issues from all sides led this game down the path that it is on today. If I had to pick one specifically that ruined it, I would say the issue of servers. Minecraft, Rust, Ark, etc. lives and dies on servers. Should the game have been a little more friendly to server owners (given that they have for a long time asked for simple fixes/improvements that could go a long way) then we would probably have a much larger active player base because people would have something to invest in.

Right now, I am waiting. I don't expect this game to ever take off or end up being playable, but in the small chance it does, I will come back to play. We had the Yogswave and that was the peak, if we can ever have something like that again it will be a miracle.

Reaction score
    I've been a long term follower and player of this game ever since one of my best friends introduced it to me. Eventually, I befriended a couple of admins throughout my history and even joined factions of them on a few servers, even some Youtubers dedicated to this game.

For a pretty long period of time, I've been away from here since the power system was changed. (To this day I still don't understand why such a change was deemed necessary when the community itself was already content with what we had before) I have a lot of fond memories here, lots of in-game moments on servers that I could only dream of reliving, and made some great friends.

I've thought about coming back recently, and I have mixed feelings about doing so. I looked at the official StarMade server list and noticed something quite ominous: There's little to no people online on any of them as if the population of the player base is gone. A part of me hopes this is just the result of me only looking at the lists on weekdays when people are less likely to be on.

So my question is, did our beloved game die? And did the Power Update cause it from people having to rebuild and gut their own ships/stations? If not, what's happened to the community here and why are most gone? It makes me feel worried about this game's future.

I give my word I'm not trying to sound like a whiner here, it's just that I haven't been able to reach out to anyone I used to play with or get a straight answer from on what's been going on with StarMade. I really hope this is just me being paranoid. If anyone can provide me with an honest answer, it'd be appreciated.
    Some of us like me and a few others just played the game to much. And others have gotten tired of fixing broken ships. Personally I call that wineing because we all knew what we where getting into when we started playing starmade. Starmade is a early access game this means it's gonna change a lot and there will be lots and lots of bugs wile the game is in its infant stage.

Reaction score
    This is what happens when a game that should be about surviving in space losses its PVE+PVP+exploring focus, and becomes a spaceship beauty pageant.

Blueprints ruin survival games. Same as Empyrion. People just spend more time offline creating ships as if it was a f*cking lego game, rather than spending time building online, in the wilderness and exposed to dangers, which is what it all should be about. Not spending 90% of time offline then 10% of time online gathering resources taking 0 risks to spawn your blueprints. Nonsense.

Reaction score
    Some of us like me and a few others just played the game to much. And others have gotten tired of fixing broken ships. Personally I call that wineing because we all knew what we where getting into when we started playing starmade. Starmade is a early access game this means it's gonna change a lot and there will be lots and lots of bugs wile the game is in its infant stage.
    Thing is, Starmade has been in early access for, I think, 5 or 6 years now. You, as someone that has been registered here since 2013, should know how long it's been in Early Access. Games that stay in near perpetual EA either die before full release, or release to such a small playerbase that it might as well be dead.

General consensus from earlier this year was that the Universe Update (which is/was suppose to drop before this year's end) is going to be Starmade's last chance to show it will survive. If that update fails, then every other revamp or rework of core systems up to this point would be for nothing.

My own hope for this game has been dwindling for a while now, And, quite honestly, every day there is radio silence from Schine makes the allure of a game called "Starbase" much more appealing.

Reaction score
    Thing is, Starmade has been in early access for, I think, 5 or 6 years now. You, as someone that has been registered here since 2013, should know how long it's been in Early Access. Games that stay in near perpetual EA either die before full release, or release to such a small playerbase that it might as well be dead.

General consensus from earlier this year was that the Universe Update (which is/was suppose to drop before this year's end) is going to be Starmade's last chance to show it will survive. If that update fails, then every other revamp or rework of core systems up to this point would be for nothing.

My own hope for this game has been dwindling for a while now, And, quite honestly, every day there is radio silence from Schine makes the allure of a game called "Starbase" much more appealing.
    The appeal of Starmade comes from the 1 block = 1 meter block scale. We have competitors but none with this small block scale. It allows for alot of creativity. Empyrion doesn't inspire me alot for comparission. As long as there is no functional Space blockbuilding game out there with rail functions as in Starmade and this small block scale, heck with self built turrets, then I have to stick to SM.

It's not that I want to, I just have to, there is no real alternative thats currently in this far progressed state as SM. ;) I can imagine playing Starbase though, it looks great man.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    every day there is radio silence from Schine
    He's talking quite a lot on the official Discord. He made a "Universe Update dev news dump" thread, where he basically say every step he's doing...

He said he plans to finish the memory optimization and code rework to make a pre-release this year iirc, with new planets, for us to explore the new content. This will have some more bugs, but at least we'll be able to play it and discover the new planets.

Reaction score
    The appeal of Starmade comes from the 1 block = 1 meter block scale. We have competitors but none with this small block scale. It allows for alot of creativity. Empyrion doesn't inspire me alot for comparission. As long as there is no functional Space blockbuilding game out there with rail functions as in Starmade and this small block scale, heck with self built turrets, then I have to stick to SM.

It's not that I want to, I just have to, there is no real alternative thats currently in this far progressed state as SM. ;) I can imagine playing Starbase though, it looks great man.
    Small bloc scale for building is simultaneously an advantage and an inconvenient.
    It is an advantage because you have more precision on what you make but it is an inconvenient in that it is more performance hungry when you want a ship of the same size.
    Not everybody wants to spend hours optimizing bloc displaying and so devs deciding "let us make each ship be made out of a dozen of predefined parts that are 3d models" are the majority.

Reactions: RabidBat

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I wake from my sleep to give my few cents. Funny, I did had a dream weeks ago where I was typing stuff in here.

The game did not become full derelict because of a single thing, but rather a series of misjudgements and lack of luck that slowly put us on this situation. I'll enumerate it.

1) Releasing on steam too early

This is the most obvious, yet debatable mistake from the dev. I always insisted on the people who got exposed to a very incomplete game will most likely, never come back, no matter how shiny it may look in 2030. However, we will never know if this was made due to funding urgency, because regardless, some people out there did buy, and this could had helped in a local crisis in the dev's life.

They say it wasn't the case, but that doesn't mean I believe it.

2) BP update

A feature that got cheered up by many at the time, but I was against ever since the first day it got announced. Most people just weren't able to foresee just how bad this could go.

Forcing the players to move away from the arcade setting that marked the 2013's hottest days from the more survival and grindy approach would have to happen anyway, someday. But it should never had happened on this cursed day on 2014.

The players who were used to a relaxed game where you could make your own ship on SP (or a build server) to quickly deploy on a real server for action, suddenly found themselves having to deal with a incomplete and archaic crafting system. And to make things worse, the asteroid spawning rating were problematic as a goth depressed girl could be, making shield blocks a real pain to make. You would have to spend hours and hours grinding to spawn this 400k ship you built... to get involved in 1 minute of combat. A unbalance between effort and fun was made.

And guess what was the quickest and easiest solution the players found? Planet mining. Time would pass and Planet mining would still be a thing for years to come, with players positioning their giant AFK miners to alt-tab, while screwing with the server and everyone's ping. Some servers did make up some rules to combat this, but it was useless, everyone did, few got caught. I can tell, because I did it as well.

There was also one final ill that this update brought to the game: since there was no credit purchases anymore, that meant the credit cap was gone too. Even though one or two servers removed the cap via scripts (I think it was rebel alliance who later became redshit) most still had it. With no caps, we saw the births of growing 1mil, 2mil, 7mil mass bricks who would only serve to piss people off, especially those who played on low-end PC's.

3) Council

The intentions behind the construction of the council were noble, but how they handled it, and the drama that it generated, just created a rift between the more prominent players from the staff.

4) The power update

Even though it's one of the most blamed villain for the game's current derelict state for most, if not all veterans, who were always jaded af from the last events. I don't really think it deserves all this credit for it. The community and the servers were already in bad shape and this was just a couple of the nails in the coffin.

klawxx

Product Manager - Roden Shipyards
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Likeable
    Hi.

I view Starmade basically as a form of (a very complex) 3D pixel art where my only limitation is my imagination (and the lack of "inner corner block"s, dammit!). Logic and rails are my all time favorites!

I DO NOT Think Starmade is or will ever be a competitive MOBA. Trying to turn it on a PvP arena is what I believe started all this shit...

As I stated some time ago: The noisy PvPers would complain and demand that every desire of them where promptly answered and after they got bored and forced Shine to modify and limit the game they would quit for something else...
    Seems I was right, after all...

Lets not forget that the purple reactor thing and a lot of other hated limitations inserted on the game where Schine trying to please the PvPers... If that time was devoted to improve the engine and etc we would have new planets and features, universe update, by now!

I NEVER SAW PEOPLE TRYING TO TURN EMPYRION OR SPACE ENGINEERS IN A PVP ARENA EITHER!

Ok, sorry for rage mode but remembering about those idiot trolls and their shitty meta spaghetti's makes me mad. Not happy to just ruin the game engine they would also taunt the devs and other people that where just trying to have fun with the game.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hi.

I view Starmade basically as a form of (a very complex) 3D pixel art where I my only limitation is my imagination (and the lack of "inner corner block"s, dammit!). Logic and rails are my all time favorites!

I DO NOT Think Starmade is or will ever be a competitive MOBA. Trying to turn it on a PvP arena is what I believe started all this shit...

As I stated some time ago: The noisy PvPers would complain and demand that every desire of them where promptly answered and after they got bored and forced Shine to modify and limit the game they would quit for something else...

Lets not forget that the purple reactor thing and a lot of other hated limitations inserted on the game where Schine trying to please the PvPers... If that time was devoted to improve the engine and etc we would have new planets and features, universe update, by now!

I NEVER SAW PEOPLE TRYING TO TURN EMPYRION OR SPACE ENGINEERS IN A PVP ARENA EITHER!

Ok, sorry for rage mode but remembering about those idiot trolls and their shitty meta spaghetti's makes me mad. Not happy to just ruin the game engine they would also taunt the devs and other people that where just trying to have fun with the game.
    I didn't knew that people was trying to turn starmade into a PvP arena (since i haven't been on the forums for long, actually this is my 3th or 4th post i make), but yeah you are true, starmade is NOT a PvP based game, the game goes about building and exploration, and bit of battle won't be bad either, but you are true, those shity people trying to make this beautiful game into a all-out war game have not chosen the right game. If you want to fight other people, okay, but don't try to manipulate Shine to make your wishes true. Now, let's build some cool stuff...
    -- Transmission end --

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    If our sole existence was the game's main problem, then why two years after our departure is the game still dead?

The power update was something that almost nobody asked for. What are you trying to say?

I never saw a Empyrion or a SE server populated with more than 60 players online at the same time to make this imaginable. Also, last time I checked SE's current multiplayer modes are FUBAR so people are even avoiding to play online.

I didn't knew that people was trying to turn starmade into a PvP arena (since i haven't been on the forums for long, actually this is my 3th or 4th post i make), but yeah you are true, starmade is NOT a PvP based game, the game goes about building and exploration, and bit of battle won't be bad either, but you are true, those shity people trying to make this beautiful game into a all-out war game have not chosen the right game. If you want to fight other people, okay, but don't try to manipulate Shine to make your wishes true. Now, let's build some cool stuff...
    -- Transmission end --
    You are kinda new here, so I'll just tell you that people were not ´"trying to turn", the game was this way since it's early days, and was like that on its golden period of servers flourishing with people, fights, and salt. PvP gives the game purpose, especially in this state when there is NOTHING to explore.

Reactions: DrTarDIS
    Reaction score
    I am just reading this thread with the thought of "what happend to Starmade so I, as gamer, know, what I will do or expect in the future." Not sure if bringing up too much past is helpful. The OP is obviously implying to talk about the past but keep in mind that we only look backwards to better go forward.

Power 2 was neither pvper or roleplayers benefit, it happend because the old system didn't allow scalability and other mechanics. The narrative of pleasing pvpers, or the narrative of SM being for roleplayers, booth are not really helpful to follow.

So what happend, if you guys really want an answer: An old game mechanic, the power 1.0 system needed a rework, the main reason were bad mechanics that didn't allow effective implementation of new systems (e.g. chambers or ship effects).

Additionally (and this can be seen as mistake by Shine) it got promoted for trying to please pvpers and roleplayers alike. But booth parties got upset about it though, and the forum moderation staff didn't shut down hurtful and downright insulting discussions for over 6 months. This bad atmosphere further spiralled the bad reputation of power 2.0 out of control, because no one was reading anything beneficial anymore and everyone used the forums to vent its steam.

The most important piece of history here though, that people don't see as they focus too much on power 2.0 shaming: Starmade got more and more complex, which additionally lead to bigger delays in new updates. This big delays between updates, and having unstable release versions for roughly 1.5 years, in addition to having most of the important game mechanics being broken (pvp: weapons/turrets, trade, factions: access level management, mining ressources/market: feeling of progression and scale, shipyards: buggy - all named features are broken) since then, actualy did scare away alot of players. Around 95% of the playerbase walked away, which comes very close to being dead.

But its not dead jet. And as long as there is no equal competitor out there ready to play (equal competitor explained by me 4 posts further up), some people still stay further for the next few one, two or three years.

Last edited:
    Reactions: klawxx and Alphajim