What do you guys think about a legacy server?

Do You Want a Pre-Power 2.0 PvP Server?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    UPDATE 1: We're looking at the latest 2017 version - v0.199.654 - for the server's version, though are waiting on more feedback before confirming

UPDATE 2: The server is being actively worked on, the version above is now the confirmed version that will be used. ETA still unknown, but it is coming

UPDATE 3: We now have a public discord and official server thread with the server info

Hi.

So, as someone who's been with this game for years, the tragedies of power 2.0 has left me a bit dissapointed.

I've been looking back on the memories of old and decided that there is an opportunity for us here, especially for those who would be interested in giving Starmade one more chance, for the good old days.

I want to know what the interest in a server set up in an older version of the game there is. The server would be purely PvP survival, with altered faction point rules based on what the community would ultimately prefer. At the moment I'm only in the planning stage but a big part of that is the community as a whole:

• If any of you would genuinely be interested, what version(s) of the game would you be interested in, and what FP rules would you be considering?
    • What mass limits would you be wanting? (atm I'm thinking of 150k mass limit but I want more opinions first)
    • What region do you think would best suit the server? (I've been looking at either Canada/Sydney, both of which have direct connections to USA)
      • Sydney would be preferable as I am Australian but if there's enough demand for Canada/USA then it'll be there
    Like I said I'm only in the planning stages and part of that is gauging whether this would be worth pursuing or not.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think this is a brilliant idea. I may have not been active on Starmade, but I hear a lot of fun times and drama where had. Seems like a great faction warfare game.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This could be interesting. Would the server be a whitelisted server or not?

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This could be interesting. Would the server be a whitelisted server or not?
    I was intending for it to be open to everyone, no white-listing necessary as it'd be a server meant for everyone to enjoy and relive the "good old days".

Reactions: Agame3

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was intending for it to be open to everyone, no white-listing necessary as it'd be a server meant for everyone to enjoy and relive the "good old days".
    yeah that would be fun. I'd definitly play on it from time to time. The latest version before power 2.0 would be good.

Reactions: Blaza612
    Reaction score
    0.19228. The first version with rail docking, the last without torch ship stealing.
    If this is not possible, then any version with named inventories and without cargo bays.
    Any FP rule that allow a single-player faction to claim and keep one sistem and one home-base is good.

Edit: My favorite play-style: Use starting resources to make a mining ship. No JD, no shields, no hull, no inventory. Sell everything else to the spawn shop, buy more modules, enlarge the miner. Mine the roids closest to spawn, sell to spawn shop all I mined. As soon as the miner is big enough, keep on mining and selling until I can buy a station.

Look for a sistem without planets, preferably with a red star. Add a JD to the miner. Go make the home base in that sistem, claim the sistem, mine again until I can make a fighter just large enough to be able to survive a pirate wave just long enough to kill one pirate and collect it's loot, then jump out of the fight. (Demolish and sell the ugly miner because from now on I will NEVER mine again no matter what.) The pirate hunter ship must have a 12 named inventories, my own sistem, to handle the loot. Sell to any shop all the loot I don't need, buy what I need for a ship I can fight pirates comfortably in. Also, my own design. Hulled, capable of jumping, everything.

Once I have that, turn the 3 blocks thing I claimed the sistem with into something that may look like a small base, then keep on building whatever I feel like (ships) forever, always being careful about my own lag and server rules. All blocks come from looting the pirates that come whenever I kill a pirate turret until all pirate bases in my sistem are completely deturreted. I love killing small ships with retarded AI. I find it funny and relaxing.

Of course that will mean that before I get the last 10k power generators I need for God knows what, my ship's inventory sistem will probably already have hundreds of k of useless burned dirt of each color. But unless this occupy hundreds of precious space for each color inside my ship, I have no reason to care.

If you want me to have a cargo bay that can keep tens of k of each type of useless block one gets from the random generated pirate loot, part of my first light fighter, then you don't want me on your server. No problem, I'm a big boy, I won't cry. ;)

Last edited:

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    0.19228. The first version with rail docking, the last without torch ship stealing.
    If this is not possible, then any version with named inventories and without cargo bays.
    Any FP rule that allow a single-player faction to claim and keep one sistem and one home-base is good.
    why such an old version? I personnaly would prefer the newest version without power 2.o.
    [doublepost=1526212535,1526212502][/doublepost]Yeah if i were to play on this server, I'd have to refit my ships to old power

Reaction score
    Use a version where shipyards are working and there are no crazy missile tracking bugs.

I think how cargo is working is not important for the gameplay, even if it allows cheating.

Ship size limit: 500k or 200k. 500k because anything above 500k lags. 200k for pvp with a sensefull common denominator.

I personally would use a 50k limit for ships but that's my personal pvp-playstyle and not the majority ones. So for your server I suggest 500k or 200k.

edit: Oh, region. Use USA. Starmades playerbase is too small. FP rules don't matter they can't be adjusted in a way that promotes player interaction or more pvp. You can only artificially encourage online time and that's a bullshit way no matter how you make FP rules.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Do you have a specific version/time-frame to look at?
    No, sorry.

Hm...Well, when I try to wildy guess: I would look for the version from end of 2016. There was a chunk change early 2017 that lead to a buggy version, and those bugs got fixed around...mid 2017 I guess. And the versions that came after mid 2017 allready had missile tracking bugs? If they didn't had missile tracking bug I would use any version between mid 2017 and end of 2017.

I would ask Benevolent27 What's the most stable version from end 2016 up to end 2017 you can remember?

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It would have been nice if Schine had taken more feedback from the community instead of just giving us this new system. I just liked old power more. The player could be much more creative with it. So i would definitly play on this server if it were ever set up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, the absolute latest before power 2.0 had a number of deep seated legacy issues with shipyards and missiles were very unreliable, but still good under the right circumstances. It was by far the most optimized version before power 2.0 disrupted solid play.

I had some pretty good memories of Spring and Summer of 2017, so those versions might be worth looking at too.

Reaction score
    I think the best classic version was right before the announcement where they said they optimized missiles... that said, I've had issues reverting my game to pre-power 2.0 so I'm not sure if I would play on such a server.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the best classic version was right before the announcement where they said they optimized missiles... that said, I've had issues reverting my game to pre-power 2.0 so I'm not sure if I would play on such a server.
    Depends on what version you try to switch to. I've found that getting to pre-2015 versions isn't going to work without some extra work, but the latest 2017 version (the one I've been looking at, just before power 2.0) works perfectly, especially with the old launcher.

Reactions: Agame3

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well in a video from early 2017 Jacemachine had problems with a shipyard. they've always been buggy

Reaction score
    Did you allready try to download the non-steam launcher from the homepage and put the installation into a seperate new folder?
    I think I was just trying the steam launcher, but I can try that latter when I have time. Thanks.

Reaction score
    At this time I think rebuilding 'the good ol day' is a massive waste of time and resources.

They should finish all the 2.0, release a finished Star Made, and let the community build Mods that regress the game. Far more efficient that way, especially as I doubt people will even agree what exactly is included in 'the good old day'. Best to let the community to make 5 or 10 versions of it.
    This is assuming that they allow Java MC levels of modification to the game.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    At this time I think rebuilding 'the good ol day' is a massive waste of time and resources.

They should finish all the 2.0, release a finished Star Made, and let the community build Mods that regress the game. Far more efficient that way, especially as I doubt people will even agree what exactly is included in 'the good old day'. Best to let the community to make 5 or 10 versions of it.
    This is assuming that they allow Java MC levels of modification to the game.
    A lot of people wouldn’t mind the latest optimizations to the game combined with a:

beefed up, logarithmically limited old power.

New power’s thrust mechanics.

Old power’s docking possibilities combined with a no undock feature to keep lag under control.

Old power’s systems and effects but with jamming’s/scanning’s effectiveness based on reverse mass rather than mass.

New power’s chambers.

Barring that happening I’d happily play on a server running the last version just before 2.0.
    If enough people supported such a server it could encourage Schine to find a way to creatively integrate legacy systems as a true, equal parallel with each having unique strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited: