Weapons Demonstration: News and Discussion

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Did they spread or did they focus on one ship?
    they split pretty evenly between the two ships i tested them with. looks like the AI will try to evenly distribute the damage between targets. they also still target any stations within the area so that needs to be looked at.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    schema is it a thing that beams, missiles and pulses will be tinted the light that is connected to the computer the same way as amcs or is that just a myth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Um, why the hell don't kinetics work through shields? You've just ruined everyone's dreams of tractor beams, since there's no way to voluntarily lower your shields. (Also, they seem to throw things with a bit too much force to make for decent tractor beams.)

EDIT: Waaait one second. Why not make lowering shields a thing? It shouldn't be too hard, and you could have to have your shields down to activate a warp drive. You could have nebulas and things that force your shields to drop too...

Reaction score
    schema is it a thing that beams, missiles and pulses will be tinted the light that is connected to the computer the same way as amcs or is that just a myth?
    It already works with Missiles and Beams (havent tested pulses yet), you can even use the new ice cristalls as source (lila missiles yay)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    actually just noticed that, but how would I have known that if there are already kb and bb missiles...
    I was joking. However... They DID announce the change a long time ago...

Reaction score
    Um, why the hell don't kinetics work through shields? You've just ruined everyone's dreams of tractor beams, since there's no way to voluntarily lower your shields. (Also, they seem to throw things with a bit too much force to make for decent tractor beams.)

EDIT: Waaait one second. Why not make lowering shields a thing? It shouldn't be too hard, and you could have to have your shields down to activate a warp drive. You could have nebulas and things that force your shields to drop too...
    The former is a possible mechanic that we have discussed adding in, but since the momentum effects can be changed and adapted (Improved) without impacting damage balance, we have opted to hold off on adding more mechanics until after the current patch (it could be added in as a content patch in the near future if the current setup proves too cumbersome to use.)

To the latter, an option to turn off shields is also something we've discussed and I imagine would be something we could add in with a sort of power management system allowing similar control of many ship functions.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The former is a possible mechanic that we have discussed adding in, but since the momentum effects can be changed and adapted (Improved) without impacting damage balance, we have opted to hold off on adding more mechanics until after the current patch (it could be added in as a content patch in the near future if the current setup proves too cumbersome to use.)

To the latter, an option to turn off shields is also something we've discussed and I imagine would be something we could add in with a sort of power management system allowing similar control of many ship functions.
    Yes please Calbiri, because when my shields are under 100% massive amounts of power go to recharging shields, so I can't shoot my weapons. This happens with small craft.

Reaction score
    Hi, sorry to pester you again with this question: Will the powerdrain beam be able to hit docked entities? I really like to know if i just should scrap those modular reactors or wait...

Edit: Forget the powerdrain beams, i just scrap them, need the place anyway to build in the new stuff.... :D

The dev build gets better and better... i love the direction starmade is going

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Ok, something is really screwed up with the last dev build update. By screwed i mean the damage ratios are f**ed up (sorry for my language).

Ok, simple math:

My ship has main guns - 7 amc arrays, in the current dev build they have around 200 000 dps. I decided to make them into artillery hard-hitting canons. And then i found something interesting.

No slave system (damage pulse or DP) connected - around 600k damage in a single volley, 3 sec reload, total 200 000 DPS - not bad, let's see what the slave system will do.

Slave system - DP 50% power - 40000 amc blocks and 20000 DP blocks. Result - around 1 400 000 damage in a single volley, 10 sec reload time, total 140 000 dps... um, what? That's strange. It should go up, right? right?...

Slave system - 100% power - 1-1 ratio, 40k blocks each. Result - around 3 000 000 damage in a single volley, 30 seconds reload time, total dps - 100 000... ... ... 100k... WHAT?!!!! WHAT?!!!!

WARNING! RANT AHEAD!

Are you kidding me?! I wasted 40k blocks of space, power and weight, not to mention the cost on slave system - for what? For a useless 30 sec reload gun that's two times weaker than unmodified amc array?! That's a joke. That's a niiiice funny joke.

As far as i remember, the devs said that linked weapon will have the added power of both systems with additional effect. And linking pulse with other weapons is supposed to make them a lot more hard-hitting, but with more reload time. Well, technically it IS stronger... But that's just noob trap it seems. That really breaks my faith in the new weapon systems (i had my doubths earlier). Because as far as my testing went it seems to be the case with all slave system - adding slave system doesn't raise damage. It actually lowers it, which is stupid because you use a perfectly good weapon, turn it into slave system to get significant drop in damage output for the master weapon with additional eye-candy effects like rapid fire. I can understand the drop in damage for shotguns - not all shots hit and it is expected to be lower. And sniper arrays should retain the damage, but get a boost in range. But what's the point of heavy pulse-based weapons dropping your dps? Their advantage should be IMPROVED damage output, not vice versa. Especially when you can only fire ever-so-often and with ridiciously slow amc speed it can be dodged easilly. That weapon is garbage if you ask me. It has no benefits, only downfalls and huge risks.

Can someone explain me - what's the point? Or is it some kind of "balance" change in the recent dev build (because it wasn't THIS retarded before). Because right now it's just a waste of space and resourses. And with the ridiculous buff on shields i don't even know what to think about future SM combat (it will take hours to take down capital ship with several hundred million shields... ugh...)

I fully understand that this is a dev build and is subjected to change, it's just my WTF meter went too high.

Just a note - i used the most recent dev build (20140604_180106) and installed it properly - i deleted everything exept blueprints folder and admin txt file and copied the dev build there. So that can't be screw-up on my part.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Ok, something is really screwed up with the last dev build update. By screwed i mean the damage ratios are f**ed up (sorry for my language).

Ok, simple math:

My ship has main guns - 7 amc arrays, in the current dev build they have around 200 000 dps. I decided to make them into artillery hard-hitting canons. And then i found something interesting.

No slave system (damage pulse or DP) connected - around 600k damage in a single volley, 3 sec reload, total 200 000 DPS - not bad, let's see what the slave system will do.

Slave system - DP 50% power - 40000 amc blocks and 20000 DP blocks. Result - around 1 400 000 damage in a single volley, 10 sec reload time, total 140 000 dps... um, what? That's strange. It should go up, right? right?...

Slave system - 100% power - 1-1 ratio, 40k blocks each. Result - around 3 000 000 damage in a single volley, 30 seconds reload time, total dps - 100 000... ... ... 100k... WHAT?!!!! WHAT?!!!!

WARNING! RANT AHEAD!

Are you kidding me?! I wasted 40k blocks of space, power and weight, not to mention the cost on slave system - for what? For a useless 30 sec reload gun that's two times weaker than unmodified amc array?! That's a joke. That's a niiiice funny joke.

As far as i remember, the devs said that linked weapon will have the added power of both systems with additional effect. And linking pulse with other weapons is supposed to make them a lot more hard-hitting, but with more reload time. Well, technically it IS stronger... But that's just noob trap it seems. That really breaks my faith in the new weapon systems (i had my doubths earlier). Because as far as my testing went it seems to be the case with all slave system - adding slave system doesn't raise damage. It actually lowers it, which is stupid because you use a perfectly good weapon, turn it into slave system to get significant drop in damage output for the master weapon with additional eye-candy effects like rapid fire. I can understand the drop in damage for shotguns - not all shots hit and it is expected to be lower. And sniper arrays should retain the damage, but get a boost in range. But what's the point of heavy pulse-based weapons dropping your dps? Their advantage should be IMPROVED damage output, not vice versa. Especially when you can only fire ever-so-often and with ridiciously slow amc speed it can be dodged easilly. That weapon is garbage if you ask me. It has no benefits, only downfalls and huge risks.

Can someone explain me - what's the point? Or is it some kind of "balance" change in the recent dev build (because it wasn't THIS retarded before). Because right now it's just a waste of space and resourses. And with the ridiculous buff on shields i don't even know what to think about future SM combat (it will take hours to take down capital ship with several hundred million shields... ugh...)

I fully understand that this is a dev build and is subjected to change, it's just my WTF meter went too high.

Just a note - i used the most recent dev build (20140604_180106) and installed it properly - i deleted everything exept blueprints folder and admin txt file and copied the dev build there. So that can't be screw-up on my part.
    hmm, just chill, this is a dev build, if it is in the official release then can you rant even more?:D

Reaction score
    hmm, just chill, this is a dev build, if it is in the official release then can you rant even more?:D
    Oh yeah, I will :D You can expect that.

I just want devs to clarify the situation. It was bothering me quite a lot - linking weapons doesn't always make them more effective.

*edit*
    Well, i tested the rapid fire amc - and they ACTUALLY have the combined power of both systems. 1000 amc array has 15 000 damage per shot and has 5k dps. I link it with 1000 amc and get 1000 damage per shot with 10 shots per second. And thats actually 10k dps - both systems combined with additional effect.

So.... I guess it was the screw-up on the dev team side :D I guess they seriously wanted to troll me. And they succeeded in it >_<