VFW Ship Design Contest! A winner is YOU!

Reaction score
    I would like to take this opportunity to say that the naming of it was under no circumstances a result of me staring blankly at my screen trying to think of a name, only to then glance at my avatar.

Works, though. Is little, after all.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This one doesn\'t really fit the parameters (it has no fantail drive) for the contest, but since I was inspired by this contest in part, what the hell:

It\'s a cylindrical ship that is inside it\'s own engine, and has a hanger bay.

Partially because of this, it has far too much power and engine thrust.

Mass:Thrust ratio is about 1:5

Currently it has no turrets, and was supposed to have 8 (2 sets of 4) high-powered AMC cannons - however, I apparently I screwed up the construction somewhere, because instead it has a weird collection of AMC 16 cannons that vary widely in power (and since I am not at all sure where I put all the AMC cannon bits, I don\'t think I\'ll be equalizing them any time soon)

It also has 5 identical SD-BB missile launchers, under the hanger bay.

Oh yeah, the hanger bay....umm...

Has 3 basic-sized (as in, only the docking block, no extenders) docking bays in the forward hanger, which is protected by a 2-thick plexdoor (in case shields die for some reason.

Then two more basic-size docks in the rear hanger, for a total capacity of 5 small ships/fighters/etc.

It\'s finished interior consists of an engine room (which is the most detailed part of the ship, somewhat fitting for an engine-ship) and a long corridor above the hanger that terminates in a bridge/cockpit area.

A gravity unit is accessible from the rear hanger bay:

As I don\'t want to clutter up the place, I won\'t post more than a couple pictures, plus the links to it\'s album (of pictures I uploaded) and the ship download link, if someone wants to screw around with it.

Download here

Ship stats:

Album here

Image of ship with hanger open:

Engine room:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well heres my entry.

http://star-made.org/node/10216#comment-47542

I\'m not too happy with the shape of the main hull near the front, but it would be too much work to change it now.

I tried to make it look at home amongst other Vecordean Fleetworks ships, and stuck with the face you enemy style approach, by putting most of the firepower at the front. Theres also some basic crew quarters.

Reaction score
    Youv\'e done a great job mirroring the VFW design aesthetic while still doing something new. Well don!

Reaction score
    VFW_Contest_Corvett_Infiltrator

This ship consists of :

3 fantail drives in the tail, 4 fan(tail)? power houses containg shields,batteries and power moduals 2 AMC turrets one long range single cannon in the front and one short range with 13 cannons on the rear (can be changed)

the haul has 2 floors with lots of room

The front and rear of the ship have extra armor

Length 72m, height 19m, width 28m
    mass 1553.6, Blocks 15536
    thrust 2,112.2
    power 33,249.5 (117,055.9 e/sec)
    shields 91,206.0 (2,926 s/sec) blocks 1,1202 Recovery 2.0
    4 long range, rapid-fire antimatter cannons : Damage 432.3 for each cannon
    9 cockpits

yes it has alot of redunant systems making it a very hard to disable ship

i covered the 4 side drives with glass so it is easy to see what is where so a person or alien can swap out moduals to suit different situations, one cane replace glass for haul plating

download ship

Reaction score
    ummm I noticed a proble flying and firing weapons was a power problem and I messed up the lights a bit too so now I fixed it here are the new stats and download link

Length 72m, height 19m, width 28m
    mass 1,503.8, Blocks 15,038
    thrust 1,784.9
    power 35,648.8 (117,055.9 e/sec)
    shields 80,355.0 (2,671 s/sec) blocks 994 Recovery 1.0
    4 long range, rapid-fire antimatter cannons : Damage 364.9 for each cannon
    9 cockpits

Download ship : VFW_Contest_Corvett_Infiltrator_Tweak

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it\'s not always bad to have an energy-problem. It\'s quite cool to have a fast attack craft for short ranges, which has to wait for energy sometimes. But for most corvettes, it shouldn\'t be a problem.

Reaction score
    I agree my problem is i always think of corvetts as the cars streamlined, fast and powerful and then I try to put that into a fairly heavy armored haul and the result is a unbalanced combo... it\'s like in real life i highly doubt you would take a corvett engine and place it into a tank haul lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thats what I mean! Well, we can\'t imagine how the future will be, perhaps they will build ships with massive shields and energy, dunno. But at the moment, I don\'t think something like that is possible. And I\'m not talking about you, I\'m talking about most of the ships to download on star-made.org. Just take a look at the daedalus.. -.-

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey guys, I\'m building one more ship at the moment, and I\'d like to see if you want me to finish it. I\'m only asking, because it will be a lot of work to do the interieur. Especially cause I wanna use this mod for it, so the interieur would be quite detailed with wires and computers and stuff.

If no one wants to see it, I\'d not invest the time :)

Reaction score
    download: http://star-made.org/node/10281

pics: http://imgur.com/a/iW8Vs

has 4 amcs 3 rockets (sd-bb) 3 point defense turrets ( it used to have five but the turrets somehow glitched through the wall), a quad cannon turret, an underslung double cannon, a spare turret dock and a docking bay with a tremelo and 1 omnidrone. it also has a compact double fan drive!!

Reaction score
    While there is still more than a week left to go (winners will be decided next Monday and announced that evening), I have the time to catch up on all of my entries so far!

I honestly appreciate all the hard work and enthusiasm displayed so far, so I am preparing a special surprise as a thank you to all who have participated. :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Which is WIP atm.

On a related side note, f**k curves.

Will update this post when I finish it. Nevermind - too much awesome between here and there, I\'ll make a new post.

Reaction score
    While there\'s plenty of time left for folks to submit their designs, I figured I\'d mention a few that I found to be interesting, either in terms of external aesthetics, internal detailing, or simply by making me double-check to see if that\'s one own designs.

Notable Submissions Heretofore:

Vandread\'s VFW_Contest_Entry: It\'s a good blending of divergent aesthetics.
    Drs93\'s three entries all have interesting and very different exterior designs. I liked them all.
    Alexander Prime\'s SPK_BusinessEnd: I loved the detail put into the outside of this ship.
    Zoogoo40\'s Falcor: A wonderful, flowing design.
    SithRazer\'s VFW_CONTEST_SHIP: A great interior that was fun to explore.
    Cybertooth\'s VFW_CONTEST SHIP_Cybertooth: Great interior with neat details. Definitely feels like a VFW ship, both inside and out.
    Sven_the_Slayer\'s UCS Gunboat: Another ship I occasionally confuse for one of my own.
    Elmairin\'s VFW_ENTRY_SHIP: While a bit too large for a corvette, this is actually a really good design that would make a great general purpose explorer.

As for the rest of you, you\'re doing great! Wade and Trollerbobman both showed some marked improvement between their first and second submission and that\'s definitely worth noting. Keep it up! You\'ve got the rest of this weekend, next week, and the weekend after to improve on your designs. Hopefully the ships I\'ve pointed out will act as guide posts for future efforts.

If you\'d like more detailed feedback on your design feel free to PM me. I took notes, I did.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have an idea i\'ve been working on, but i\'m horrible at building ships like this. It is a Bee/Wasp/Hornet ship, with a disintegrator stinger, thruster wings, and AMC legs, cockpit eyes, and etc everything else. If anyone makes a ship based off this description I hearby claim partial ownership of it, in the name of the Sheawashla Miflargla.

Reaction score
    Nope! Patent trolls are a big enough block on creativity in real life. No need to go around paying them any attention here, too.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    \"Sven_the_Slayer\'s UCS Gunboat: Another ship I occasionally confuse for one of my own.\"

That was kind of my goal, even if it\'s not very unique, most of the other entries are amazing so I probably wouldn\'t even be able to come up with anything new or interesting for a second entry.

Reaction score
    thanks alot for the encouagement :) I am learning alot because of this contest it\'s a wicked challenge for me cause all my ships before this looked like shoe boxes and now they are starting to look less like one. Being so new to starmade I really do not expect to win but love a good challenge and I am seeing alot of uses for the fantail drive very smart invention :) awesome ships ppl are pumping out thanks for starting the contest :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The Assault class corvette \"Night\'s end\"

Designed by our engineers to be, powerfull yet agile, was the birth of the \"Night\'s end\", It\'s sleek hulls and menacing look can scare even the largest of ships, it\'s sole purpose is to bite at the heart of the enemy. It does not require a large crew, only around 16-20. The \"Night\'s end\" comes with 4 Light turrets that can provide cover attack. It\'s FrostTek Fantail drive is what makes the ship so agile, It can outrun most ships. It\'s front hull is designed to take a beating if the shields falter and crumble (FrostTek is not responsible for any deaths or injuries caused due to this ship). The ship has two dorms, each with 4 beds. It has two locker rooms for all the crew to use. It\'s weapon system is a medium sized rapid-fire Anti-matter cannon which is decently powerful. It does not sadly come equiped with missiles. Or for that matter, toilets.

The Blueprint\'s

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kk5adtctfrk02ik/FA_Light_Corvette_.zip

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I hope it\'s not annoying for you, but I got another blueprint for you. I guess it won\'t be the last.

So this Zeus-Class patrol corvette has everything it needs. First of all, the engine. Four smaller, modified faintail drives are used, so even if one or two get destroyed, your commander can still maneuver around. The armament consists of 3 quite strong AMC cannons and 2 SD-BB missile launchers. The crew won\'t be able to shoot and fly without reloading the guns tho, energy is no problem, it just needs a moment. The Zeus also features 3 light AMC turrets, one on each side and one to defend the rear. As a patrol ship, it has to be prepared for almost every situation you can imagine. So it got 2 missile turrets, either for larger ships or for ground targets. As our colony often uses this kind of ship for small cargo missions, it can carry a container or a small shuttle/fighter. The interieur isn\'t shown in the screenshots, but I promise you, the crew has everything for surviving a long amount of time. Communication terminals are installed, so you will always know what\'s going on.

If you order now, you get one container for free (choose between fluids or normal load)!

ps: remember to use this mod before downloading the ship.