VFW Ship Design Contest! A winner is YOU!

Reaction score
    ****THIS CONTEST IS OVER. WINNERS WERE DECIDED. CAKE SERVED. ORPHANS MOCKED. WOO HOO****

Vecordean Fleetworks, in a deperate and transparent attempt at continued cultural relevency, would like to announce our first-ever shipwright competition!

We're busy getting our product line updated and our Anthem-class heavy cruiser's gonna eat up several thousand man-lifetimes before it sees completion. That means there's room for YOU, aspiring shipwright, to make a splash and help US help YOU.

Here's how it works: We're looking for a proper Corvette design to add to our line of ships. While we can do so ourselves, we figure it'll be a fun project for our beloved customers and competitors to tackle. Take a look at our catalog, get a feel for our design aethetic, and put together your idea for a corvette hull that looks at home among our fleet. Two weeks from today, if a suitable design is submitted, it will become an official VFW "product" that I will lovingly look after and keep updated to be viable on whatever version of the game is current. You get full credit, of course, along with a bump for your own ship-building thread and gushing praise frome me; a dishonest and morally bankrupt marketing ai. Feel free to download and scavange any of our existant ships for turret designs or even a basic hull to modify.

Here are the design specs:

1) Must be between 50-75 meters long.
    2) Must use the yellow-on-black color scheme we employ
    3) Does not need a fancy paint job. I'll add that if I like it.
    4) Must have a fantail drive. These are pretty easy to make. We recommend a height of 11-13 meters for a corvette class hull.
    5) Use wedge blocks to smooth out them edges.
    6) Bonus points for interior detailing.
    7) Doesn't need to look like I built it, by the way. Feel free to experiment with different hull shapes and weapons arrangements.
    8) Multiple entries allowed! Feel free to try a few different basic designs and ask for feedback.

Once you've got a ship you'd like to show off, upload it with the name "VFW_CONTEST_SHIP", provide a link, a run-down of the design's strong points, and, helpfully, some pics in this thread. I'll downlaod them, try them out, and do my best to answer your design questions if you have any. Otherwise, have fun!

If this turns out to be a huge flop, that's ok! I'll just do it myself after my mandatory three hour stint in the VFW Employee Kiosk of Weeping.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    But i thought you said the forte gunship was also a corvette, making it a gunship/corvette?

You\'ve seen enough of the Octet, we think, so we\'ll talk a bit about our new Corvette/Gunship, the Vecordean Fleetworks Forte-class!

Reaction score
    Plus, if someone makes a proper corvette, then it\' just be a gunship! Consider this entry as a \"heavy corvette\" if you\'d like.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Wish i could enter, all i make are ships made out of greytanium :\'(

but then a few are made out of redtainium, but i doubt that would matter.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This gives me an idea for a ship.

But I\'m here at work and thus cannot do anything with the idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hmm, despite very limited ship design experience I may try to come up with an entry for this.

Reaction score
    That includes the fantail drive, which usually takes up about 1/3 rd the length of any of my ships.

Now, note that the Fantail Drive doesn\'t need to be veritcally oriented or even point straight back. As long as the foreward hull protects the drive when the ship is pointed head-on towards a foe, I consider it a win.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You\'re going to give away my strategy! Now I\'m going to have to come up with a gimmick above and beyond the \'beavertail\'.

Reaction score
    This looks like it could be good.

I\'ll give it a shot, but no guarantees on it being too functional...

I\'m gonna try a boomerang-style hull with the Tails in the middle. NO ONE CAN TAKE THE IDEA, I HAVE SAID IT! THEREFORE IT\'S MINE DUE TO THE LAW OF THE INTERNET! IF ANYONE TAKES IT I\'LL PROBABLY HIT THEM WITH SOMETHING.

-_- Watchin\'

Reaction score
    I might give this a go; the only thing I need is some inspiration. Perhaps I\'ll draw from popular or radical designs.

...You can\'t patent a shape, can you? Apple certainly lost those lawsuits against other phones using their patented \"rectangular shape,\" so I don\'t believe I should have issues with going with popular designs or radical ones, like boomerangs with tails in the middle.

Anyhow, expect greatness from my designs. Eventually.

Regards,

AxNinjaX

Reaction score
    Didn\'t Apple win the lawsuit involving Samsung and the touchscreens (that Samsung made)?

And no, I didn\'t patent the shape. I was just vaguely implying that it\'s good for people to have original ideas and not copy the ideas of someone else. Namely me.

But, by all means, go ahead.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The United Colonial Systems (UCS) Shipyard in conjunction with the United Colonial Corps (UCC) Shipyards in compliance with their contract to the VFW is pleased to present their completed Corvette design

This Corvette features 8 linear AMC cannons dealing 175 damage a piece and 8 standard torpedo tubes with a damage of 190. It also sports one medium dual-cannon turret and four short-range, rapid-fire point defense turrets. Also features redundant forward viewports, just in case one gets shot off. Potential crew will also be unhappy to hear the ship utilizes standard UCC style cots... Of course UCC Corvettes do not even come equipped with sleep accommodations so they should consider themselves lucky.

Mass: 451.2
    Length: 66m
    Height: 22m
    Width: 20m
    Thrust: 1426.6
    Power: Standard
    E/Sec: 514132
    Shields: 67483
    S/Sec: 2355

Download: http://star-made.org/node/9773#comment-45731

(The interior may need some tweaking as the design doctrine of the ship is a bit different then I am used to working with. I also think this this far outclasses my corvette in terms of firepower and probably my gunboat as well, well my frigate only has 6 linear cannons VS the 8 this ship sports.)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Modified? Nope, Completely built from scratch from the ground up

It is however basically a small Dirge... but what else would you get if you built in an nearly identical style?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    since i can basically only build huge battlecruisers and death diamonds,im going go download the forte gunship/light corvette and turn it into something completely new.

wish me luck, fellow starmadians!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Triple Diamond Industrial Shipyards might very well submit an entry for this contest. We\'ll see how things go.

Reaction score
    This is a great way to start off the contest! It\'s been downloaded and will be examined and harshly judged by our panel of fun-hating reptiloids!

Thank you for your time. :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    My entry:

http://imgur.com/a/ntRQY

since the Forte_Gunship was a light corvette, i turned it into a heavy corvette.

additions:

• turrets (2 AMC\'s, 1 D1000)
    • heatseeking missiles
    • removed tracking missile system with D1000 (since they now do double damage)
    • added AMC\'s
    • more shielding and power

I technically tried to jam alot of shit in. Ill PM you the DL vec.

also in the album is what it can do to a forte gunship in a few seconds.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    A success and a failure!

after a bit, i finally managed to take down all the nocturnes turrets, but the nocturne itself seems too powerfull to destroy in this ship. But, in the end of the day, i still got to blow stuff up. which means its still a win!