VFW Ship Design Contest! A winner is YOU!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you\'re referring to me, I apologize. I just wanted some recognition for ships that I inspired the design of, even a little footnote like \"(design inspired by some dude on the design contest thread)\" would be enough.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Cargo podders unite! Bury our enemies in a sea of sturdy, hollow steel construction!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The Scorpion is a prototype trans-sector patrol/defense corvette made by Omega Laboratories in the Vecordean construction style. Featuring a dual rapid-fire antimatter cannon array and two d-1000 missile launchers as well as four turret mounts, it is reasonably well armed. The Fantail-type drive is a bulkier design, five wide instead of three in the thurst manifold. The ship features a Class-II vessel docking bay for storing craft better suited to atmospheric entry and/or high speed dogfighting type combat. Accomodations are minimal but adequate, with tables aplenty. Can house four crewmembers comfortably, but is capable of housing up to ten when required.

MORE PICS:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vl3dkefxuxy6u6r/Nl973fK-lm

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxwgjyzzl2cr1l4/VFW_CONTEST_SHIP.sment

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well I\'ve refined my entry. Redone the shape of the main hull because I really wasnt happy with how it looked. I\'ve done the ice crystal part properly now as it was an afterthought to include it before to fill some flat yellow space. Turrets are only one or two block away from where they where before, and the interior is largly unchanged, but slightly improved.

Firepower is pretty much the same as before. Slightly more shielding as the hull is fatter than before after i reworked it.

http://star-made.org/node/10374

Reaction score
    Following an in-depth study of existing VFW ships, this contractor opted to design a corvette-class ship more suited to the aesthetics of the ships designed by VFW. The result is a larger hull than that of the original \'Tyrion\' prototype, however due to the costs of designing the original ship and recent budget cutbacks, the yellowtanium hull has instead been replaced with a hardened form of cotton wool. Though visually the materials are identical, the woolen hull has been described as \'airy\' and has the propensity to absorb atmospheric moisture.

Unlike the Tyrion design, the Heretic is much more suited to isolated operations, with the assorted armaments and relative survivability making it serve the role of a patrol ship admirably. It is also able to serve the role of a fast assault craft, should the need arise, due to its high acceleration.

Like all ships designed by this contractor, the interior is modest and utalitarian in order to make room for ship modules. The cup holder, toilet, emergency stasis system, cushioned core and basic life support systems do not come as standard.

Download

Reaction score
    I\'ll upload it in a tick. I\'ve not checked, but do turrets upload with the ship, or do they need to be separate? In any case the turret fits into a docking module without enhancers, and its based on the design that I\'ve seen on a couple of ships, so it shouldn\'t be too hard to replace should anyone want to use it.

Reaction score
    The Hornet stats are:

Mass 721.6
    thrust 767.4
    length 69m height 15m width 18m
    power 24,029
    shields 38,992
    2 x AMCs 287.3 each
    4 turrets (room for more turrets optional) also the bobby ai moduals are located under the red lights on the turrets

2 fantail drives (which also double as the antenna for the kick ass radio)

headlights, tail lights, very streamlined (like the word corvett makes me think it should be)

2 small living quarters containing 4 beds (also knowen as sardine cans), 2 weapons rooms and bridge

Ship Download

PICTURES

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Greetings Fellow Wanderer!

We here at Andvari\'s Forge Industries couldn\'t help but notice the open contract that you have offered, so we are jumping at the chance to be considered!

We understand the need for more types of a \"Heavy Corvette or Gunboat\", and thus we are here to help. After all, you are the makers of the Legendary Dirge, and we would love to see one of our ships help in any way.

Allow us to reveal to you our first, and only, Gulltoppr Class (A Modified Version of the [Experimental] Heimdal Class Corvette [Still In Progress]) Repair and Salvage Corvette.

Ah! The Icon of \"True Reliability™\", Our Icon, We should note that this is NOT a gun boat. This is a ship designed and build for Salvage and repair operations, from the original Heimdal Class Missile Corvette [Coming Soon!]. That being said, we stripped out the original \"Dwarven Energy Core®\" and replaced it with the [Slightly] Modified \"Fantail©\" Drive Engine and Core. We however have beefed it up, incase of Gunboat conversion.

Allow us to talk a bit about specs, shall we?

As you can see, the design of the Gulltoppr fits well within the design parameters, and will even make sure that when push comes to shove: You will be able to repair, or take, whatever is left on the battlefield! Now, the ship is outfitted with a \"Dwarven Ton®\" of energy, and a regeneration rate worthy of Song!

Why you may ask? Why, we also understand that sometimes a ship can get left behind, that is why the Gulltoppr Class is outfitted with, not one, not three, but TWO Turret docking ports. With a Energy reserve like that, you will be able to power most weapon systems through your turrets with out Issue!* [Shipyard note: This has not been tested, and thus is not covered in the warranty]

WOW! Look at that Salvage rate! That could clean a ship of parts faster then a Garm Brood through red meat! While this ship may not have the firepower on her own to stop a ship, it is universally compatible with ALL Andvari\'s Forge Industries Turret Designs**! Even some of our Competators! As an added bonus, all Andvari\'s Forge Industries ships (with turret bays) come equipped with the \"Anti-Boarding Blast Shield™\"

As seen here! These are GUARANTEED*** to not let in anyone without the right clearance! These will also open up into the Upper or Lower Storage areas in the ship to allow for Easy Access to the Bobby A.I., Ship Core, or other Vital Systems of your Turrets.

WOW! With all that I am sure that the core MUST be exposed and easily destroyed huh? Absolultely not! the Gulltoppr Core is located in the center of ship with a small Command Information Center around it!

And just beyond those two doors is the main observation center, as well as the computers needed for other crew men to repair and salvage your foes.

And to protect your valuable crew, and to give them a better view there are Three Cockpits on this vessel to make sure that each computer is connected to the correct attachment!

As you can see all of the systems are ALSO protected by our Patented**** \"Ion Projection Shield System®\" the IPSS also runs along the sides of the ship in order to maintain the highest level of protection that we can offer! Legally.

We are proud to introduce the First of the Gulltoppr Line of repair and Salvage Corvettes.

The Virtual Tour Can be found here: Virtual Tour

Our Entire Catalog can be found here: Catalog

Purchase (Download) Here: Purchase!

We hope to see you out there Wandering the Stars, in one of our Ships!

*[This has not been tested, and thus is not covered in the warranty]

**[Please Check with our Catalog for Available Turrets and make sure they are compatible with the size class of your vessel. Wrong size Turrets can damage your vessel and are not covered in the warranty.]

[***No Guarantee is offered, nor should it be inferred.]

[****Generally Stolen]

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    the contest is about making something that can actually fight.

but i must say, it looks great!

Reaction score
    This contest is about making a ship that merges VFW aesthetics with original design and producing an overall excellent design.

Reaction score
    added two powerful salvage cannons new ship download here this is my new favorite small ship i really like it a lot I hope you do also :)

oh yeah and as for faction moduals for the turrets i would recommend removing one power modual beside the core and placing them there i left them out cause of you mentioning that it was messing up some ships :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As part of my current (3rd) stab at an entry for this contest, I have modified a standard Tremelo fighter to be shorter and narrower, so that I could fit 2 of them into my creation.

Views of modified fighter: Front angle, Side

Download fighter here.

Pilots need not worry about how close* the cockpit is to the fantail drive, your life expectancy is not long enough to worry about that glowy blue stuff killing you first.

*close = inside

View of the ship I modified them for, hanger closed.

View of the ship I modified them for, hanger open, showing modified fighters inside.

As an aside, it\'s strange the way the docking system works - for example this fighter fits inside an 11W x 11H x 13L docking area (docking block plus 3 enhancers inline)....

But it actually requires a space 11x11x19 in size, to make room for the fantail drive hanging out one side of the docking area:

As seen here.

Edit: To compare, if memory serves I believe a standard Tremelo requires 11x11x26, or perhaps 11x13x26

Edit 2: View of my ship showing the multiple fantail drives - also you will note the docking area testbed above and to the left of it - it is skewed at an odd angle due to someone* crashing one of the modified tremelos into it while undocking.

*me

Edit 3: Multiple images of the ship\'s partially completed interior

Main engineering, showing main reactor and twin shield generators: View 1, View 2

Underneath Main Engineering, we have the captains cabin and officers quarters: ramp down, officer country, captains cabin, captains restroom, officer quarters 1, officer quarters 2.

Forward of officer quarters, we have regular crew quarters, which are somewhat cramped, but still provide bed, storage locker, sink, and toilet: Crew quarters hallway, example crew quarters.

Note: The apparent lack of hull under the crew quarters sink is a graphical glitch - I have hull there, but for some reason when a wedge-block is point down towards it (or perhaps only blue hull wedge block?), it becomes see-through...

Returning through Main engineering, we move up to the Bridge/control area: Ramp to bridge, bridge - consoles will be for AMC cannon and SD-BB/D1000 missile launchers, hanger observation window, conference room - plans to install a holo-projector* in the ceiling mount.

*probably a red or blue plexlight

Edit 3: Finished up the interior by installing 2 more cabins and some crew quarters above the hanger (previously displayed crew quarters were below the hanger). Also, I finished up the weapons install - a couple of the D1000 launchers are slightly different (due to apparently a block of launcher getting lost somewhere behind a bulkhead), but in general the ship has:

12x AMC cannon with stats:

8x SD-BB Launchers with stats:

8x d1000 launchers with stats:

And the ship\'s overall stats are:

Additionally, I mounted 8 of Vec\'s standard 3-AMC small turrets, and 2 larger turrets of my own design...

Download links if for some reason they don\'t load with the ship:

Large Turret

3-AMC VFW turret

Then I tested the weapons on a handy ship I spawned previously to steal the small turret blueprint off of...

The completed ship:

Side view

WELL

Been working on this one for a bit now, and I think It\'s finially done...

Download link

Edit (larger number than the previous edit): You could actually mount MUCH larger turrets on this thing - perhaps even the turrets from VFW\'s under-construction cruiser, with a bit of modification.

Also, I forgot to mention that there are hatchways (consisting of plexdoors) between the interior of the ship and the main turrets, to allow for AI access when turrets are docked. They were kind of an after-thought, since I hadn\'t realized I would be unable to access the turrets from outside for AI activation purposes.

Reaction score
    a lot of very cool ships in this thread

just remember no matter what everyone who made a ship and got thier creative juices flowing and learnt something new is a winner every ship posted here I like a lot :)

Reaction score
    I did not like the salvage cannons being spread apart so far as a result here are the new stats. I also did some minor cosmetic changes :)

The Hornet stats are:

Mass 753.5
    thrust 767.4
    power 24,029
    shields 38,992
    2 x AMCs 288.4 each
    4 turrets (room for more turrets optional) also the bobby ai moduals are located under the red lights on the turrets

headlights, tail lights, very streamlined (like the word corvett makes me think it should be)

2 small living quarters containing 4 beds (also knowen as sardine cans), 2 weapons rooms and bridge

Download Ship

Pictures (Same pics as before since the changes were important but minor ones)

Reaction score
    ok ok I swear this is FINAL update I post I still did not like the 2 salavage beams too hard to aim it.....

as a result here are the FINAL stats of it sorry for this....

The Hornet stats are:

Mass 735.0
    thrust 767.4
    power 24,029
    shields 38,992
    4 x Antimatter Cannons 233.2 each
    1 x Salvage Beam 0.02689346
    4 x Turrets (room for more and or different turrets) also the bobby ai moduals are located under the red lights on the turrets

Download Ship

Pictures (Same pics as before since the changes were minor ones)

Reaction score
    this will be my last entry this ship is the best of my capabilites untill I learn more and I am happy with the looks and abilities of this ship good luck everyone who entered ships :)