Recognized Turrets system with Pictures - [ Poll]

This?

• Yes, this

• No, not this

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    So, is there a way to put that into my pictures? :3 I might need to re-do some of them?
    By armored hinges, do you mean things like "gun mantlets"?
    That's what I was looking for, yeah. I think that just solves most, if not all, of the problems. It's up to you if you want to go about changing the OP, it is your idea. :)

Reaction score
    So much this. Please. I want this. I hate how huge and chunky turrets need to be to look any good.

EDIT: That might have been in the thread, I didn't read every page and only had to skim over the OP to love it, but I'm guessing turret docking areas would be replaced by the game simply checking if the "pole" (The part sunken into the hull) the turret is mounted on fits into the ship and that the gunhouse of the turret fits ontop, too?

It would be awesome if size restrictions via docking enhancers and stuff are gone then, or would we still need enhancers? How would they work then? In crease the total dimension the turret can have? That would work. But then we should be able to arrange the enhancers in a simple box shape and perhaps rename them to "turret module enhancers" or something like that.

Should turrets also share the ship's shielding? I'm for that, because otherwise turrets are extremely quickly blown off when two big ships fight against eachother, even if you can put a lot of shield blocks in the afformentioned pole. Since the turret will at best, without being EXTREMELY LARGE compared to the host ship, have the shield of a heavy fighter or small corvette.
    So if two big ships would fire missiles at eachother, the turrets would just start exploding as if the big ships were actually destroying some smaller ships out of the way before tackling the equally sized opponent.

What happens if the docking zone of the turret is blown up though? Wouldn't the turret then collide with the ship and perhaps cause lag or something?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This is a wonderful idea, truly, though I am sure there is a practical reason turrets are not thusly handled, or they'd surely have done it like this!

It's always hard to visualise what goes on under the hood and why some things might not work. Nevertheless, whether it works or not is not relevant to such a great idea, at least not from where we are sitting. It remains a brilliant idea full of win.

Reaction score
    This has be possible and considering that the game is in the early stages perhaps schema just didn't want to focus on a complex turret systems while there are more important matters at hand.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that the game should only allow clipping to a certain extent. But this seems a bit much for now.

Reaction score
    I think that the game should only allow clipping to a certain extent. But this seems a bit much for now.
    So, when do you think is a good time? Much later in development when everyone already finished their ships?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe never. I just think that the clipping issue should be solved, but not like necessarily like this.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Clipping through the topmost layer is not necessarily bad. Clipping through 2 is.

I think a turret should have a pre-calculated minimum pitch for each yaw-segment.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem with the turrets now just is that they don't know when to stop clipping. They even clip through completely sometimes. Just think of that time when a pirate station turret went completely through the station and killed you (happened to me). The clipping system is simple and effective. It just needs to know how far it may clip on the vertical axis (up and down).

Reaction score
    Well the barrel should have a maximum upwards angle of 90°. And below itself.. hmm.. Not sure. 45°? Or something like that. Sideways clipping is no issue, since it only needs to clip sideays since everything in the game fills out a box.

Reaction score
    This has to be one of the best or the best ways to explain something ever done here, congrats

I know want spike turrets that ram into stuff or if they are on ships to pivot into other ships!

I will be a viking!

Reaction score
    Also, why is c lipping an issue again? Because the cannons could fire through its own turret and hostship and thus hit everything everywhere? Well just limit their up- and downwards angle as stated.

The other issue is that we have two blocks in one isn't true since the barrel blocks are selected from the turret itself and whatnot.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Also, why is c lipping an issue again? Because the cannons could fire through its own turret and hostship and thus hit everything everywhere? Well just limit their up- and downwards angle as stated.

The other issue is that we have two blocks in one isn't true since the barrel blocks are selected from the turret itself and whatnot.
    You basically nailed it. There should just be one addition: they are sometimes literally able to fire backward. I can assure you that it is not fun when you are trying to take over a pirate station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Firing arcs for all weapons (even onboard) needa to be limited. I don't want to accidentally hit a docked ship in my field of view.
    Anyway, I still don't see why a turret clipping through itself is a huge problem in terms of balance. Clipping through the mothership, I see that (you use the mothership to shield everything except the tips of the barrels) but I don't see any balance issue that could result from clipping between two parts that share shields and effects.

Reaction score
    Okay, I'll make some changes during Sunday if I have the time. Someone could help if they want to. I really don't have the time to remake my stuff
    For those worried that a turret half buried inside a ship would be impossible to destroy because core shenanigans, don't forget a HP system is planned. Shoot dead the turret with few HP, it takes part of a ship with it.

Reaction score
    But turrets will be shielded yes? Please have them be shielded by the mothership's shield.
    Because of this issue:
    "Since the turret will at best, without being EXTREMELY LARGE compared to the host ship, have the shield of a heavy fighter or small corvette.
    So if two big ships would fire missiles at eachother, the turrets would just start exploding as if the big ships were actually destroying some smaller ships out of the way before tackling the equally sized opponent."

I know there are people that say "but it we will lose the ability to destroy the turrets before destroying the main ship, since if the shields aer down you might as well take down the whole ship instead of picking off turrets. So disarming is not a viable tactic anymore."
    Well, how about when a ship drops below 50% shield everything that is docked to it isn't shielded anymore, except it got its own shields. So you have to blow away 50% of a ship's shield, then you can destroy the turrets.

Also, I wouldn't know what there is to change about your suggestion except that we need a up and down angle restriction on the barrel.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, how about when a ship drops below 50% shield everything that is docked to it isn't shielded anymore, except it got its own shields. So you have to blow away 50% of a ship's shield, then you can destroy the turrets.
    What if the ratio at which a turret loses mothership shield coverage is determined by the mass ratios? A ship based around a giant turret would quickly lose the mothership protection, while smaller turret would last longer. There also might need to be a penalty for having many, many small turrets.

A proposed formula: sharing applies if shields >= totalshields * turretmass * (1 + turrets/100)/shipmass

And add a balancing factor in there.

Reactions: Hanspeter Schnitzel
    Reaction score
    The problem with that is that we want to be able to sink most of the turrets body into the hull, in order to make it big and give it strong weapons to actually matter in fight. So the formula would have to take that into account, as in, it shouldn't be toooo harsh. But it is a good idea to penalize way too big (compared to the mothership's mass) turrets I think!
    The OP's suggestion mostly tries to make turrets more effecient, while keeping them look good, because the huge chunky turrets ontop of the hull that we have right now are frikkin ugly. :D