Recognized Turrets system with Pictures - [ Poll]

This?

• Yes, this

• No, not this

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    I do feel that completely disallowing clipping means turrets have to proporitonalty larger than before to get the same number of blocks (simply due to how the geometry of a circle versus a square. Anyway, what does not allowing clipping give to the game?
    Allowing clipping means that you can build a turret base with a gun inside the base that shoots through the base.
    And then you can fill the same space the gun is occupying with more blocks because why not.
    So essentially with 30 blocks of space you can fit 60 blocks.
    No clipping. D:<

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not to mention pirate base turrets shooting you when you should be out of it's turning area. I think clipping should only be allowed partially. Plus we would have to wait for the movement blocks before this actually gets implemented.

Reaction score
    So in order to keep this idea alive, I'm going to make some more schematics out of this over the next few days. Please post your ideas so a) I can make them into pictures and b) people can see that this allows much, much more creativity than the current system.
    :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Allowing clipping means that you can build a turret base with a gun inside the base that shoots through the base.
    And then you can fill the same space the gun is occupying with more blocks because why not.
    So essentially with 30 blocks of space you can fit 60 blocks.
    No clipping. D:<
    Right... I totally knew what you were talking about the entire time. "Resting clipping" let's call that. That's not what I want either. My idea is you take your turret, put the hing blocks in, and then link all the blocks in the barrels to it. The physics system assumes it's a different ship, but when calculating stats it's one ship. In this way you only get 60 blocks worth of stats for 60 blocks, so that way pivot points and shapes aren't limited at all.

Reaction score
    Right... I totally knew what you were talking about the entire time. "Resting clipping" let's call that. That's not what I want either. My idea is you take your turret, put the hing blocks in, and then link all the blocks in the barrels to it. The physics system assumes it's a different ship, but when calculating stats it's one ship. In this way you only get 60 blocks worth of stats for 60 blocks, so that way pivot points and shapes aren't limited at all.
    "the physics system assumes it's a different ship"
    so it collides? because if it doesn't collide, theoretically you can make the turret rotate so that there are 2 blocks inside 1 block of space (1 block is from the turret, one is from the gun)
    people can then exploit that system

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Er, how is that an exploit? It's not like you could make your turrets more compact, since the resting position would still be full scale. The shields are shared, so it's not like you can make a stronger base that covers the barrels. I'm honestly confused as to why assume that ANY form of clipping is an exploit.

Reaction score
    Er, how is that an exploit? It's not like you could make your turrets more compact, since the resting position would still be full scale. The shields are shared, so it's not like you can make a stronger base that covers the barrels. I'm honestly confused as to why assume that ANY form of clipping is an exploit.
    Is 2 shield blocks when you only have the space of 1 not an exploit? The gun shares shields yes but so does the base and when you have 1 block on the gun and 1 block on the base and they are in the SAME SPOT is that not an exploit?
    Why do you want to limit rotation anyway, it limits nothing but creativity.

Here you go.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Except the gun blocks have to have a corresponding empty spot. You select blocks on the turret to be the barrels. There can be overlap, but only when the barrels are pointing at something. That image isn't accurate, because if that's the barrel's resting position, then there aren't any "base blocks" there because you selected them for the barrels. And before you accuse me of moving the goalposts,
    put the hing blocks in, and then link all the blocks in the barrels to it

Last edited:
    Reactions: WaffulMann
    Reaction score
    Except the gun blocks have to have a corresponding empty spot. You select blocks on the turret to be the barrels. There can be overlap, but only when the barrels are pointing at something. That image isn't accurate, because if that's the barrel's resting position, then there aren't any "base blocks" there because you selected them for the barrels. And before you accuse me of moving the goalposts,
    -reserved while I think over this
    *Okay. That is an idea, and that is a good idea. I will spend some time over this while I try to put this into pictures and add it to OP, unless you want to make another suggestion thread. Help is appreciated if you can.
    Plus, jesus christ cut the red will you it's hard on the eye
    EDIT: Okay, select blocks to be barrels. Okay. But I'm still against limiting rotation (see bottom right of my drawing couple of posts earlier)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Another update!
    -Added poll
    -Added hopes for devs to see and at least give a yes/no

Thanks for all your support :3

Reaction score
    I would say to allow *partial* clipping, as in the hinges can clip rather than the whole gun. That way, there is no need for the hinges to be placed on the outside, and the guns don't go through the turret.
    More info and a pic:

Basically, the gun pivot (And gun blocks within a 3x3x3 cube centered on the pivot) can clip the blocks adjacent to it on the YZ axis, allowing rotation, but the gun blocks can't, requiring a space to move. The turret pivot can clip through blocks on the XZ axis, allowing for embedded turrets and *may* reduce any lag from the collision detection of it. This also allows for turrets to have a bit of protection for the gun hinge, since blocks can be there on the turret itself, which makes it less of a glaringly obvious weak spot. The turret pivot should act as a manual control for the turret rotation and gun control, and the gun pivot should function similarly but only for firing. That, or there can be a "Turret Computer," for ease of use. [EDIT: The top view has an error, the guns should be outward by 1 more block, allowing 90 degree elevation.]

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I would say to allow *partial* clipping, as in the hinges can clip rather than the whole gun. That way, there is no need for the hinges to be placed on the outside, and the guns don't go through the turret. Pics coming in a bit.
    Isn't that what I said earlier? Always good to see that someone else agrees with me, though.

Reaction score
    Isn't that what I said earlier? Always good to see that someone else agrees with me, though.
    It's similar, but in mine, the turret hinge also gets clipping, and the guns within a block of the hinge gain clipping so as to work better with irregular shapes. It can also create turrets with an armored hinge. Great minds think alike, eh?

Reaction score
    So, is there a way to put that into my pictures? :3 I might need to re-do some of them?
    By armored hinges, do you mean things like "gun mantlets"?