Thoughts about the recent trailers and equalty between shipbuilders.

Do you agree?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Off-topic:
    Captain_Stripes:
    The issue isn't "boo hoo, why didn't They want to use MY ship?", It's that the devs seem to always go to the same small group of people for every issue, from promotional material, QnA, game play feedback, everything. A lot of us are concerned that the player base as a whole is going to be ignored in favor of this one, small, group.

On-topic:

PICARD THREAD IS A GO

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Off-topic:
    Captain_Stripes:
    The issue isn't "boo hoo, why didn't They want to use MY ship?", It's that the devs seem to always go to the same small group of people for every issue, from promotional material, QnA, game play feedback, everything. A lot of us are concerned that the player base as a whole is going to be ignored in favor of this one, small, group.

On-topic:

PICARD THREAD IS A GO
    Ah that is one point I didn't really elaborate on or cover, like I said my post was a blur of earlier today and the new more recent conversation. In the 'ranty' section of my post I covered the idea that mushroom fleet wont even count for 1% of the SM community, obviously a prediction, cant really be proven. I would assume once a specific group within a community no longer becomes the active majority that there will be a shift in what is used for community content. But that's the predicted future.

But for the right now.
    This is the 2014 Eve online trailer:

Before you say this isn't eve. Notice how they built a trailer completely covered with players, playing. This is what a community is, its not competition of bigger, prettier ships, or who has the biggest or most important faction to make it on a trailer,(well actually I think that's what a good chunk of eve is about) its about game play. I'd be more stoked to see my ship get torn to shreds in an actionful trailer than see it in some slow motion stills. But i'd be even more hyped to actually have the trailer feature me and many more players from all over the community talking and flying and playing. I haven't played eve, after see that trailer I kinda want to. But from what I heard about it is that their dev team members actively play with many people, not just one specific group. These guys actually get to meet and start to really know their players from a multitude of communities too. I don't hear too often of SM dev guys going out and playing with other communities, the majority of them stay with MF (I guess they're just too busy for their own community, or maybe they're under some NDA voodoo) If they want to handle their community better and actually commit to their work, then maybe mixing it up and playing and getting to know some of the others. Instead of expecting the community to meet you on one server or on the forums. This is just a minor suggestion based off my opinion of coarse, no one individual is the arbiter of how this should be done.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot my Picard

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    if you make a party and don't send out invitations, you got a pretty darn small party.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ya see... The thing with MF is, it's a vicious cycle. They're popular, so they get attention, so the devs notice them and tend to go to them for anything building-related that they need, so they get more attention, so they become more popular, and so on. People like that are why monopolies are artificially prevented in economies... Someone always emerges victorious, and eventually they rule the entire system. My actual opinions on MF are irrelevant here; that's a discussion for another day and another topic, but... yeah.

As for Picard...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Since apparently I'm not allowed to call MF out on bullshit unless I run a stream, I hereby announce the Arstotzkan News Network stream.

As someone who is a member of Starfeed, I participate in a stream, so I can call MF out on their bullshit.

I wasn't personally there for the episode where we hosted them, but I hear it was pretty bad.

Whole lotta Yhole.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    As someone who is a member of Starfeed, I participate in a stream, so I can call MF out on their bullshit.

I wasn't personally there for the episode where we hosted them, but I hear it was pretty bad.

Whole lotta Yhole.
    what? i was there watching it and it was the best episode of all..
    Great discussions,always someone talking,interesting conversations,few fun jokes here and there for laughs,it was the most fun starfeed yet.
    this is now getting out of hand,dont spread lies

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Great discussions,always someone talking,interesting conversations,few fun jokes here and there for laughs,it was the most fun starfeed yet.
    Which episode are you referring to? Because I'm not sure if we even uploaded the bad one. Ep 6, with both MF and EE guys, was good, if that's the one you mean.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    As in terms of what is good and bad, its an opinion. You might think its the best episode, but someone might have thought it to be bad. So an opinion cannot be a lie. It would only be a lie if he lied about his opinion and actually thought it was a good episode. Which I don't see why anyone would lie to degrade something they enjoyed.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh my god tenk11kamikaza

There's more to it then vids!!! Youtube isn't the only fraking way to contribute to the game!!! So please, PLEASE, stop considering youtube as the one and only platform to "contribute" to this game. I know that's probably not what you meant but that's what it came out as.

I could argue that you should "compete with me on the forums, m8". "Get more positive ratings than me"! "Why don't you contribute to this game on the forums more instead of making videos?" " I can help you become big on the forum, get to 1k ratings in no time!"

See how absolutely laughable it would be for me to say that? Same thing goes with youtube.

Ps: I'm in no way saying that you're doing a bad job at contributing with this game (I regularly watch your vids, tenk). I just want you MF guys to realize that there's other platforms then YT.
    Being popular at youtube is far superior, or at least in the dev's eyes than being popular in the forums. This is not something I am making up and is a fact.

Youtube is one of the biggest forms of social media out there, and is really interactive unlike threads, where you communicate with video and sound. By being popular there one is heavily advertising for the game if a channel becomes popular. To be popular in the forums gets little to no advertisement. The benefit of being popular on the forums is that it makes the different players who play the game get a better connection with the others who play the game and the game itself. If we look at this in the devs eyes then being popular at youtube is the far better option to get this "special treatment".

To conclude my thoughts about this discussion:
    The only thing that bugged me was the MushroomFleet got lots of news from Calbiri early, which could just as well have been in the news update as a dev build update. But then I came to realize that you must do this if you have some people dedicated to releasing news about these dev builds. I myself wouldn't really consider myself "MushroomFleet", but I am still a member there to get all the news and sometimes meet new people. I don't think that this stuff to do with the trailers was wrong, since they were made by mushroomfleet members, which is why there were mushroomfleet ships. The reason schema specifically asked them was because they are a lot more experienced when it comes to youtube than others.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The main defence of MF is that we lack solid evidence and we are not active enough. I have a plan.

I'm going to create a ship building thread, in which we challenge MF "top" builders (you know who I'm talking about) to show that it's not just them who can build awesome ships. What we do, is we take any ship built by MF and build another one. Stronger, faster, more powerful and efficient, better looking with the same mass. You can also contribute a video, even a short Vlog is helping.

What do y'all say? Is it time to show these elitists who's the boss?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Funny, I never realized that Mushroom Fleet was popular or famous. I certainly didn't expect to learn that they were producing official content. My experience with Mushroom Fleet centers around looking for tutorials on Starmade and accidently clicking on a link to one of their videos, because they often label them as a tutorial on something. What you get is a number of players running around on screen and trying to figure out how to make something work while they talk over one another and regularly devolve into other conversations. I come away wondering why anybody bothered to put a cut from their livestream up on youtube.

Mind you, I'm not trying to be insulting, that's really just the way the videos are. The main people involved in the video seem like good peeps, but there is no rhyme or reason to their videos. There are a lot of good videos out there, like Bench's that are actually helpful. You watch a MF video if you are looking for distraction and chaos. As to their ship building skills, again I don't recall seeing anything particularly amazing. Maybe I've seen a good looking ship and didn't realize the individual was part of MF.

So, if the reason that MF is being used for content generation is because there are a lot of players on their server to generate content, I have to say, "quality over quantity." This last trailer regarding Steam left me scratching my head. Knowing that MF was behind it answers a lot of questions. I didn't see much of anything in the video to highlight the cool features of this growing game. A guy sitting in the cockpit of his ship, and then a bunch of other ships show up to join him? I never understood what the point of it was.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Funny, I never realized that Mushroom Fleet was popular or famous. I certainly didn't expect to learn that they were producing official content. My experience with Mushroom Fleet centers around looking for tutorials on Starmade and accidently clicking on a link to one of their videos, because they often label them as a tutorial on something. What you get is a number of players running around on screen and trying to figure out how to make something work while they talk over one another and regularly devolve into other conversations. I come away wondering why anybody bothered to put a cut from their livestream up on youtube.

Mind you, I'm not trying to be insulting, that's really just the way the videos are. The main people involved in the video seem like good peeps, but there is no rhyme or reason to their videos. There are a lot of good videos out there, like Bench's that are actually helpful. You watch a MF video if you are looking for distraction and chaos. As to their ship building skills, again I don't recall seeing anything particularly amazing. Maybe I've seen a good looking ship and didn't realize the individual was part of MF.

So, if the reason that MF is being used for content generation is because there are a lot of players on their server to generate content, I have to say, "quality over quantity." This last trailer regarding Steam left me scratching my head. Knowing that MF was behind it answers a lot of questions. I didn't see much of anything in the video to highlight the cool features of this growing game. A guy sitting in the cockpit of his ship, and then a bunch of other ships show up to join him? I never understood what the point of it was.
    I very much agree. That's why I'll be starting a thread that might prove that there are just as good, and maybe even better builders in the Starmade community.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The main defence of MF is that we lack solid evidence and we are not active enough. I have a plan.

I'm going to create a ship building thread, in which we challenge MF "top" builders (you know who I'm talking about) to show that it's not just them who can build awesome ships. What we do, is we take any ship built by MF and build another one. Stronger, faster, more powerful and efficient, better looking with the same mass. You can also contribute a video, even a short Vlog is helping.

What do y'all say? Is it time to show these elitists who's the boss?
    Hey I can post my pimp my ship ships and other ships I built there :D

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I very much agree. That's why I'll be starting a thread that might prove that there are just as good, and maybe even better builders in the Starmade community.
    I understand the rationale behind using MF. It saves them time and money if someone in the community can produce it for them. While MF clearly has the ability to produce video's, I've never seen them produce anything of quality (personal opinion here.) The official video for Steam did very little to show off Starmade. A ship sits in space. A man stands on a planet. A bunch of other ships join the first ship to sit in space. Had they put some effort into it, perhaps we could've seen a sunrise through the atmosphere on the planet. The ship could have been shown actually moving, maybe engaged in combat or mining - anything. The video had no depth, as most of the MF material I've so far seen.

Your contest idea is welcome, but I think misses the point. Schine reached out to MF because they were available and willing. A contest to prove someone is as good or better than MF? That puts MF on a pedestal by default. Besides, anyone can upload their ship blueprints to the site for voting as it is. As I understand it, the developers would be happy to work with anyone that showed a readiness to provide good video content. The fact that they accepted it from MF shows how few in the community have been able to present video content of this nature for them to choose from.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I understand the rationale behind using MF. It saves them time and money if someone in the community can produce it for them. While MF clearly has the ability to produce video's, I've never seen them produce anything of quality (personal opinion here.) The official video for Steam did very little to show off Starmade. A ship sits in space. A man stands on a planet. A bunch of other ships join the first ship to sit in space. Had they put some effort into it, perhaps we could've seen a sunrise through the atmosphere on the planet. The ship could have been shown actually moving, maybe engaged in combat or mining - anything. The video had no depth, as most of the MF material I've so far seen.

Your contest idea is welcome, but I think misses the point. Schine reached out to MF because they were available and willing. A contest to prove someone is as good or better than MF? That puts MF on a pedestal by default. Besides, anyone can upload their ship blueprints to the site for voting as it is. As I understand it, the developers would be happy to work with anyone that showed a readiness to provide good video content. The fact that they accepted it from MF shows how few in the community have been able to present video content of this nature for them to choose from.
    I think it's still worth a try. It's still unfair that MF ships get to participate exclusively on official videos, even if they're shot by the same MF. An official video needs to show the whole community, not just a small piece of it.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The official video for Steam did very little to show off Starmade.
    It wasn't produced by Schine. It's not a trailer, it's a teaser.

The official trailer is currently being worked on by Bench and some other wonderful people.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, there are a good number of people in MF that can build well. What bothers me more is certain leaders who can not build well, yet kind of haven't gotten the news yet. It is fine if you are a better server admin than you are a builder, but don't claim to be the latter then or worse yet, lecture other people who don't have to resort to putting build-helper smoothed bricks on doomsticks, even though the players obviously have better design skills (not personally experienced, but heard multiple times). Server admins do represent their server to some extend, and if the server in turn is made to represent the community... yeah. The video quality was not of such a top-notch quality that there are no alternatives at all in terms of outsourcing.

That aside, I do not think there is an excuse for using only one server's ships: Community Content is an excellent source of ships, even pre-rated by users - nothing would better represent the creations players make in starmade. Who actually flies these ships in a trailer is irrelevant. The ships are there, downloadable and importable within minutes. Just select 1-3 ships out of every size class from 5-star CC, and you would have an excellent sample of people's creations.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It wasn't produced by Schine. It's not a trailer, it's a teaser.

The official trailer is currently being worked on by Bench and some other wonderful people.
    Thanks DukeofRealms. I'm not sure what the difference is between a trailer and a teaser, but didn't intend to misrepresent anything. I'm looking forward to the official trailer, as I'm sure we all are.

Status
    Not open for further replies.