The turret thread

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm currently working on an explosive sniper missile destroyer, and want to use big turrets for defense. I have a few questions.

1. To make the turret faster, do I just keep on adding mass enhancers to the turret bases? I've also noticed that you can't do the thing where you select the turret base with C and select the mass enhancer with V. Is there a reason for this? Will the enhancers still work?

2. What are the best main defense turrets to use? I've seen lots of ships use cannon turrets, and if that's the best one, what effect?

Reactions: drewreid

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'm currently working on an explosive sniper missile destroyer, and want to use big turrets for defense. I have a few questions.

1. To make the turret faster, do I just keep on adding mass enhancers to the turret bases? I've also noticed that you can't do the thing where you select the turret base with C and select the mass enhancer with V. Is there a reason for this? Will the enhancers still work?

2. What are the best main defense turrets to use? I've seen lots of ships use cannon turrets, and if that's the best one, what effect?
    1) Enhancers affect every entity docked to whatever it is they are on. So for you turrets you only need to place enough enhancers for the biggest turret on the main ship (1 enhancer = 5 mass, 25 e/sec energy consumption). No need to link them and the location doesn't matter. You'll also need to place enough enhancers in the base of your turrets for the mass of their barrel/weapon section.

2) Defense is pretty much the same as offense, so It'd say either cannon/cannon/explosive , missile/beam/explosive or a mix of both, those are pretty much the best weapons for defensive turrets. As for anti-missile turrets just use single block cannon/cannon weapons since missiles only have 1 health.

Reaction score
    Sorry for not replying, but thanks for the answer! I was about to ask how vertical missile turrets locked on but I already have it figured out. Just core placement.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1) Enhancers affect every entity docked to whatever it is they are on. So for you turrets you only need to place enough enhancers for the biggest turret on the main ship (1 enhancer = 5 mass, 25 e/sec energy consumption). No need to link them and the location doesn't matter. You'll also need to place enough enhancers in the base of your turrets for the mass of their barrel/weapon section.
    I've been having to add enhancers to the bottom arm of the turret. I have a station with 73k mass enhancers and it should be enough to do what I want but it's still giving me the error of not enough enhancers. Alternatively, you can edit the block behavior in the game files and change the free mass or how much mass you get per enhancer too, which is what I did to get around it.

Reaction score

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

I use this trick all the time to test and see if the ball turrets and oscillating turrets have 100% free movement on the base, and this one looks too much like a swinging ship ride to pass up making a gif of it. Finished turret will be posted soon :P

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Damn pretty! I like myself tri-barrel artillery cannon.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Glad I found this thread, now I can show off my turrets :D

First up is the Champion Turret, capable of decimating capital ships in a single volley. I use these to defend my faction bases, they reach 24km away and the rest is classified ;)

starmade-screenshot-0033.png
    starmade-screenshot-0034.png

Next is the Razor Turret, currently in use on my Leviathan build (https://starmadedock.net/threads/th...-class-heavy-cruiser.21796/page-4#post-259253). Its all about shredding up its targets, making holes, and basically devastating ships once shields have been taken down.

starmade-screenshot-0035.png
    starmade-screenshot-0012.jpg

Lastly my AMS is the Paladin Turret, currently using a 3x3 wall of fire to shoot down incoming missiles. I'll be upgrading this soon to include a 5x5 wall of fire, a shotgun blast for close encounters, and a beam targeting system for long-range tracking.

starmade-screenshot-0037.jpg

Attachments

Reaction score
    Glad I found this thread, now I can show off my turrets :D

First up is the Champion Turret, capable of decimating capital ships in a single volley. I use these to defend my faction bases, they reach 24km away and the rest is classified ;)

View attachment 21433
    View attachment 21434

Next is the Razor Turret, currently in use on my Leviathan build (https://starmadedock.net/threads/th...-class-heavy-cruiser.21796/page-4#post-259253). Its all about shredding up its targets, making holes, and basically devastating ships once shields have been taken down.

View attachment 21435
    View attachment 21436

Lastly my AMS is the Paladin Turret, currently using a 3x3 wall of fire to shoot down incoming missiles. I'll be upgrading this soon to include a 5x5 wall of fire, a shotgun blast for close encounters, and a beam targeting system for long-range tracking.

View attachment 21438
    It's a Marathon Cruiser in back? It's not a dream? Right? :D

Reaction score
    is it possible to link a slave weapon system on the main ship to the weapon system in the turret?

if not that would be nice as it reduces the amount of rotating stuff but not the ammount of space needed