The turret thread

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    is it possible to link a slave weapon system on the main ship to the weapon system in the turret?

if not that would be nice as it reduces the amount of rotating stuff but not the ammount of space needed
    Nope you can't
    we don't have cross entity systems like that yet and might never get that

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Many of your turrets are bigger or more effective than my spaceships...
    <= eternal noob

Reactions: Keptick

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Glad to see some larger turrets getting into the thread. got these to a working point today and got a basic frame for a ship using them:

Valiant turret front view

Top view

Rear view with external access point for turret's fire control

turret battery happily chipping away at the black while in godmode

Broadside view

Having a rest

Reaction score
    I was playing with the idea of a turret, that gives the impression of a beam array without moving parts.

Starmade doesn't actually allow such mechanics but i think the look kinda works, when viewed from some distance.

Now i gotta think up a fitting highly advanced looking ship design.

Edit: There are also some problems with it, i need to solve.
    Edit 2: I put in a better gif.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Very nice i
    I was playing with the idea of a turret, that gives the impression of a beam array without moving parts.

Starmade doesn't actually allow such mechanics but i think the look kinda works, when viewed from some distance.

Now i gotta think up a fitting highly advanced looking ship design.

Edit: There are also some problems with it, i need to solve.
    Very nice idea! would be awesome if this will actually work one day

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello all!

I absolutely love the turrets, especially the ones on this thread - so here's my five cents:

This is Restia, an old ship of mines when I was experimenting with turrets.

I've recently started building Mocha (you'll see why I named the ship Mocha), think of her a Restia's younger sister - also going to be a heavily turreted ship. I have build other ships inbetween, but I didn't like them very much.

I used to go for the idea of 'big awesome turret' - but times have changed and I've opted for 'dazzle camoflauge'

This is a CIWS that's designed to tear up small ships that get too close. It's a Cannon/Cannon/Explosive system that fires a 3x3 (and a bit) wall of fire to cripple small ships.

As with AMS:

I've found that even though cannon/cannon systems are highly effective against missiles, they're still not good enough, especially against Mis/Beam systems, simply because they're too fast and cannons will have to lead by a huge amount.

Though I'm sure that the solution is simply more AMS Turrets...

I've tried including an extra beam/cannon system to take care of missiles when they get cozy close (they don't have to lead).

I find that small ships are at the mercy of homing missiles, and they're often too small to have a good AMS system...
    So I had an interesting idea one day to put a AMS on a omni-directional turret axis, to create a sort of 'satellite' AMS that had 360-360 rotational potential

I quite fancied 'walls of fire' at some point, so this 'AMS' fires a large WoF, though I don't remember the specifics.
    And the ship in the background was another omni-directional test. Conclusion: Ball ships are hard to make, power, and make me sick when i make 'em. (Motion sickness... ugh.)

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Space Gun2.jpg
    BM-1 Orbital defense turret. Long range burst rail gun with missiles. 360 degree rotation on all axes.

SAM sites.jpg
    Guardian turret and light missile turrets.

Surprise!!!.jpg
    Prototype weapon for my mobile command system; essentially a heavily shielded death ray and nuclear launch silo. Project was cancelled in favor of a more defense-oriented station and to prevent possible server lag.

Last edited:

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Been working on an experimental armor tanker so designed an inline turret for use as it's primary weapon:

Base box contains all the power needed for turret, and the dockers are located in the center making them very dificult to shoot out.
    Sides are heavily armored as well.

These three turrets are going to be the main guns, backed up with some lighter non-turret missile systems. Think they're too small to pose a threat?

Nope! Turrets extend almost as far as the base is tall. While they're not completed yet they'll hold 200.000 dps each; 100.000 explosive and 100.000 ion.

Turrets also have their own internal walkways so you can access turret controls from inside the shop. They'll be connected by a central corridor once i start the rest of the ship but for now just wanted to show the design

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Close formation defensive fighters. These work similar to "options" from the old Gradius games; follow the main ship and provide supplemental firepower against smaller fast moving ships that get in your blind spots. 360 degree coverage on all 3 axes.

This was something I used extensively before fleet formation mechanics were introduced. Given how badly fleet formations perform, I still use this option from time to time.
    Close air support.jpg ASC Challanger.jpg

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That is actually a pretty damn nice idea. Having 4 "fighter" shaped turrets can help make otherwise silly turret placements look superb :D

Reactions: alij331

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Close formation defensive fighters. These work similar to "options" from the old Gradius games; follow the main ship and provide supplemental firepower against smaller fast moving ships that get in your blind spots. 360 degree coverage on all 3 axes.

This was something I used extensively before fleet formation mechanics were introduced. Given how badly fleet formations perform, I still use this option from time to time.
    View attachment 26520 View attachment 26521
    Holy shit I love it. Dun stop building your ships, I need more. <3

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Got the turrets rotating now, made a gif showing how they track stuff in 3D

Also made a gif of how interior allows access regardless of turret and base positions:

Each turret base has its own gravity module to let you walk around in them. Considered automating the gravity for them but it messes up when you move from turret to hull :(

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That is a very nice design...wonder if that could work for a harlock style ship?