Brainstorm This #The Solution to Economy - The Exchange

Reaction score
    I'd like to have a trade system for trading in person.
    Right now the way to trade is drop your stuff and trust the person that he won't steal, or have a station.
    A simple system that allows you to open a trade hud where you can put an offer and see what the other playing is offering, then an easy button to accept trade.
    I think we need this in addition to a player/AI based exchange of some sort. This will allow for tons of fun game play just delivering goods, especially for newer players.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello! A lot of good ideas here! I'll go ahead and jump right in.

The Exchange - 3 new blocks, 1 for Trade Guild Stations, 2 for ships
    • Exchange Network Core for Trade Guild Stations only, acts as a "node" that reaches out to other nodes within a set distance and tracks resources and missions/contracts from neighboring nodes. This will establish trade routes between Trade Guild Stations, and if say less than 3 nodes are connected, then a new contract is made. A contract for a player to build a Trade Guild Station and expand/establish trade routes. Then limit active nodes per Trade Guild Station per system (so if one gets destroyed another in the system can take over). Each node could also produce income like a trade tariff to the faction owner of the system
    • Market Computer and Communications Module for ships. The Market Computer will be an interface that "taps" into the market when in short range of a Trade Guild Station node and the Communications Module increases the range. This block will also show coordinates of "active" nodes to show you the trade routes nearby. Now these blocks should only be available for purchase in Trade Guild Stations with a good faction standing. The other option is to happen across a Trade Guild ship and destroy it to hijack the Market Computer and Communications Module which you can then use to track trade routes and Pirate them.
    Contract Insurance - I think the simplest way to prevent griefing would be to require Contract Insurance to be paid by the person accepting the contract. This could be a set percentage or something a player sets. If the contract is violated the credits put down for the insurance is then used to make a new contract.....a bounty on the player's head!

Thanks for reading and all the good ideas already in this thread I've tried to build on.

Reaction score
    Hello! A lot of good ideas here! I'll go ahead and jump right in.

The Exchange - 3 new blocks, 1 for Trade Guild Stations, 2 for ships
    • Exchange Network Core for Trade Guild Stations only, acts as a "node" that reaches out to other nodes within a set distance and tracks resources and missions/contracts from neighboring nodes. This will establish trade routes between Trade Guild Stations, and if say less than 3 nodes are connected, then a new contract is made. A contract for a player to build a Trade Guild Station and expand/establish trade routes. Then limit active nodes per Trade Guild Station per system (so if one gets destroyed another in the system can take over). Each node could also produce income like a trade tariff to the faction owner of the system
    • Market Computer and Communications Module for ships. The Market Computer will be an interface that "taps" into the market when in short range of a Trade Guild Station node and the Communications Module increases the range. This block will also show coordinates of "active" nodes to show you the trade routes nearby. Now these blocks should only be available for purchase in Trade Guild Stations with a good faction standing. The other option is to happen across a Trade Guild ship and destroy it to hijack the Market Computer and Communications Module which you can then use to track trade routes and Pirate them.
    Contract Insurance - I think the simplest way to prevent griefing would be to require Contract Insurance to be paid by the person accepting the contract. This could be a set percentage or something a player sets. If the contract is violated the credits put down for the insurance is then used to make a new contract.....a bounty on the player's head!

Thanks for reading and all the good ideas already in this thread I've tried to build on.
    I like this idea, but I think we should have an option to try to smuggle goods past trade factions that have tariffs set. This would add a nice level of smuggling to the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hmm well then maybe allow pirate stations to have them as well but they have only illegal goods available to trade within their own trade routes, maybe some special buff items like narcotics made from the fauna?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    but they have only illegal goods available to trade within their own trade routes, maybe some special buff items like narcotics made from the fauna?
    No, it shouldn't be only illegal goods. Smugglers and pirates will still need to eat, too. Trade goods should come in a few categories.One of them should be Basic Goods like food, water, and air. These should be available at every trade outpost, regardless of the owner. (it doesn't mean they are cheap or in plentiful amounts, tho)

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    Hmm well then maybe allow pirate stations to have them as well but they have only illegal goods available to trade within their own trade routes, maybe some special buff items like narcotics made from the fauna?
    I don't think it should be just illegal goods, maybe make an option for system owners to illegalize certain goods in their zones, but smugglers should be able to try and sneak past these tariff zones without having to pay. Not sure how this could be implemented yet, but I like the ideas. Keep them coming :)

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't think it should be just illegal goods, maybe make an option for system owners to illegalize certain goods in their zones, but smugglers should be able to try and sneak past these tariff zones without having to pay. Not sure how this could be implemented yet, but I like the ideas. Keep them coming :)

Yea this would need some kind of AI Fleet Patrols else it wouldn't really be smuggling, as well as some kind of mechanic with scanning to scan cargo holds for the goods being smuggled. I imagine a "trade license" purchased from each faction would also be involved. On the upside when an Economy System is established it shouldn't be too hard to make a "Black Market" version of it as well!

Reactions: jgames666 and Valck
    Reaction score
    Too many people trying to overcomplicate a system made to be simple.

So is this feature planned? Maybe planned tag?

Reaction score
    Too many people trying to overcomplicate a system made to be simple.

So is this feature planned? Maybe planned tag?
    Personally the solution to the Economy is going to be over complicated. If the economy has too little substance it will crumble to the power of supply and demand as all economies that have no substance to trade and drive trade do. ;)

Reaction score
    Well, look at the "Resource Overhaul" page---that is a good way to start an economy. Adding in trade routes and contracts will definitely give players missions to do, and it will force factions to take action to preserve the rarity of goods from their sector...assuming the Resource Overhaul ideas get put in.

Reactions: jgames666