Brainstorm This #The Solution to Economy - The Exchange

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I'll make this short, sweet, and simple. Runescape has a feature in it called the Grand Exchange. How this works is a player goes out to gather what ever resource they want to sell. Then goes to the grand exchange to sell it.

They open the menu select the item they want to sell and it gives them the MEDIAN price for that item. You can then click a button to adjust the price lower/higher by 5%

Once the item sells it gives you a notification, buying is done in the exact same way only it takes your cash. Not the items

Solution: Implement a button on screen within the area of your shop. Link said shop to storage. Place items for sale into this storage. Access Exchange and put them for sell on a server wide market. The exchange will continue buying the blocks from various sources until it reaches the amount you desire.

- Show bought and sold items on a logistics panels with a time for delivery depending on distance

- Allow players to accept logistical contracts for delivery at 5-10% of purchase price.

This gives players the choice to wait a time for bought cargo to arrive automatically or pay the extra cash to have a player deliver it quicker.

If you don't think something like this can be implemented on a java based game...it already has.

Reaction score
    Would make multiplayer based economy A LOT better. Then people who for example produce cannons in bulk can easily sell them to all the people who need them throughout the whole server.

Interesting market pvp could also emerge if enough players play on that server.

Bench what do you think?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Exactly, players could actually have their RP corporations and the trade market would be amazing. Actual freighters getting paid to haul things, with pirates closing in to seize the freighter for its resources.

This would bring about the beginning of a centralized economy.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This is probably gonna be a long post. I've got a few ideas that I think are far reaching, but would be loads of fun.

Overall Idea:
    We should definitely be able to set a Supply, and Demand. My personal opnion is that it should be a new block, but I think this block only comes from the Trade Guild. I'm going to call this block the Trade Module even though it could be added to the Shop Block.

Supply:
    You can link this block to storage, and set a price based on the items you have in there.

Demand:
    This looks like a standard shop menu, here you set a maximum price you are willing to pay, the amount and exactly what block you want.

The Trade Guild acts as a moderator then. If you are in good standing with the Trade Guild, they will shuttle resources for you for a cost (The number can change but 10% would be a good start, based on interactions this might go up or down).

Every so often, maybe every 5 mins (This is not final, just a starting number) your Trade Module checks the stores within a certain distance. This propogates the demand and supply out to the stores. If they have the stock and the price is fair they'll send a convoy to your planet with resources for a cost. This could continue out to the far reaches, and could add to the cost (I need to spreadsheet most of this.).

The Awesome Fallout of this!
    These convoy's could be player driven time based events, and you could make money. These should be on a local jobs board, but everyone should be able to see them. Probably only for your sector though. You could sucumb to piracy and never deliver the goods though! Dropping your standing with the Trade Guild. Then you could watch the sectors for players jumping grabbing the quests, and pirate them yourself. The reason for the time above is to allow human players to jump in as the convoy, and to add an element of the aliveness to the universe. Quests build good standing with the trade guild and might act as kind of a easing into the economy since you can't set demand yet, but you are a scrapy freighter pilot that lives for dangerous routes.

I think that in concept this isn't terrible to implement its got a very easy 1:1 relationship with player demand and player source. Its quite possible that an AI could use this system pretty easily as well. Making it useful for the procedurally generated factions.

Something else this might do is create a real reason to have a blockcade. Where you block all the resources coming into a faction from the trade guild and what not.

EDIT: I realized later, I might have tried to hijack the thread without thinking about it. I'm sorry OP, I've since moved the idea to its own thread with more detail.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I need my account banned and deleted, its being used by other people, and the password change keeps reverting to the original and is broken, just delete the fucking account please thank you.

Last edited:

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The only problem I have is it would another block Id needed, for something that could be GUI or NPC implemented. I do like the idea of trading guild ships being used as a judgement of time on delivery. They need to be able to use jump drives though. I also want to keeptge player activity involved in trading, so the boards could be very viable.

The only issue I see is over complication of trade networks rather than just linking your shops with the others in a screen like runescape
    I'm not sure its over complicated, but it creates a reason to build a ship, and it creates a reason to interact with the Trade Guild and it creates a reason to interact with other factions. I didn't mention it but I'd like other factions to act like a trade guild as well. I can just feel a bit of buzz on a server now after delivering lots of cargo for many shops at once.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It definitely brings life to commerce when you have logistical factions. I still like having it GUI based rather than block based. It allows me to check my trade offers anywhere and allows me to buy things on the fly across the galaxy.

We could make it galaxy wide though. So that each galaxy has to have deep space haulers to trade with another.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It definitely brings life to commerce when you have logistical factions. I still like having it GUI based rather than block based. It allows me to check my trade offers anywhere and allows me to buy things on the fly across the galaxy.

We could make it galaxy wide though. So that each galaxy has to have deep space haulers to trade with another.
    I think even more then life. It creates a role. Even on a single player server, with the new factions they are planning. It would let you play out the game as Malcom Renyolds if you so wanted. Here's a way to get credits in a realtively safe way. Basically anyone can do it, and you could do with your starting ship. You could build a trade empire from it or you could build a small fleet and destroy pirates.

I think you suggestion is great. It simplifies so much of what people want to do, but doesn't create new oppotunities within starmade yet. This doesn't need to necesarily be block based but the block gives an location where you need the resources. I think it would be possible to have a gui overview ever trade block you/your faction own though. That should give you everything you want with a live dynamic universe.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like and want this, it will fix the economy without the risk of having random people at your base and messing with your stuff will still allowing to securely trade with other players.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Most MMORPGs feature an "Auction House" type feature. Runescape is unique in that it takes a less "free-market" approach to the auction house method than most other MMOs.

Generally, in said MMORPGs, players put up a good or a number of goods for sale and set the price per unit manually, and basic economics take care of the rest.

Because Starmade has a fairly low player base per server, I recommend having a system in which items being auctioned are given a "recommended price per unit" (defaults to base shop price) which may be overwritten by the seller.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Yup, thats basically what the grand exchange does, since most of the player base in each server is below 200 in runescape. They have a median price that is tracked by their website, which takes the data of the average sale price and uses it as the default. The more people sell low the lower that price goes. In this case we could adjust based off total trades and what the people are buying them for.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I think this is great, but I wanted it to create activity in the world, and opportunities for people to quests. I think it's cool that smaller/newer factions could start by helping deliver goods to the bigger trade guild and kinda have thier protection.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    When you opened up with "Like runescape" I almost closed the tab

GJ looks neat, might b cool if there was some way to link a shop network

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Personally, I don't think they need to implement a new system to "fix the economy" (i.e. make it more like Runescape or any other game). Starmade has the basis for its own economic system - shops & crafting. There are 2 main things crippling it at the moment:

Player Shop Capacity Limit

Only letting players stock & sell 50K of each item is crippling. One 30-minute mining trip easily yields more than 50K of several resources, but the 50K limit bottlenecks how quickly that can be distributed to other players and factions. If they could tie player shops to the station's cargo capacity it'd be awesome.

Shops Are Straight Up Broken

They literally don't even work as intended. Buy/Sell prices cant be different and owner can't control who shops even though both of these options exist in the interface.

Fix these two and the Starmade economy will boom.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Fixing shops will not fix the economy nor add play value to the game. Players make the economy, ripping that from the players and giving it to an NPC which can not be haggled takes away from player interaction. It takes away mining corps, logistics corps, traders who buy low and sell high, security contractors who are paid to protect shipments etc.

Fixing the shop will only add reliance on servers not players and resource rarity. It does nothing in the means of creating roleplay and functionality.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    But fixing stuff like that is boooooooooooorrring.

Schema just be like 'I dont waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnttt to spend my day on that today. Today feels like a slab day.'

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Fixing shops will not fix the economy nor add play value to the game. Players make the economy, ripping that from the players and giving it to an NPC which can not be haggled takes away from player interaction. It takes away mining corps, logistics corps, traders who buy low and sell high, security contractors who are paid to protect shipments etc.

Fixing the shop will only add reliance on servers not players and resource rarity. It does nothing in the means of creating roleplay and functionality.
    I disagree, player-owned shops may very well be the key to all this.

Suppose all player-owned shops, and their goods, were registered centrally. Then suppose the quest system was implemented, and players could request something to the effect of "Buy this much of that there, sell it to me here". Wouldn't this allow for exactly the kind of trading you suggest?