Status
    Not open for further replies.

IKindaCrashAlot

Part of the Most Nefarious Faction in Starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    DO NOT PLAY ON TSA. It is a terrible server. I have taken the time out of my day to write this review because the admins are abusive, the server latency and management is terrible, and the server's advertisement is misleading

1. The admins are abusive, they spawn in 200k bathtubs and leave them floating around. They spawn in whatever they need and all have ganged up in their little admin faction. Oh wait! Don't kill them though! If you start blowing them up when they are trying to fight you then you'll be BANNED!

2. The admins take horrible care of the server. There is over 200 entities at spawn, which makes the game extremely hard to play when 90% of people will receive 1 FPS in these conditions. The admins allow scrubby players to crash ships into planets and then just leave them there. A lot of noob's have just created accidental lag machines, butttt the admins are too occupied banning pvpers and spawning in bathtubs to take care of this.

3. The servers advertisement is misleading, this server claims to be a PVP server in the description, yet if you fire a cannon in someone's direction you'll be IP banned. The admins seem to ban people who might make their precious lag causing noobs to leave. My friend was banned because he DEFENDED himself against two people who grappled onto his ship and then started shooting at his ship with laser pistols.

In conclusion, do not waste your time on the TSA servers. The admins are terrible, the ping is terrible, and if you try and PVP at all you will be banned.

Reaction score
    1. The admins are abusive, they spawn in 200k bathtubs and leave them floating around. They spawn in whatever they need and all have ganged up in their little admin faction.
    Can anyone else confirm this? Huge if true!

G

GDPR 302420

Redacting my previous post because I am not interested in getting involved with this drama.

Drama aside, I can definetly say the server is certantly not that good in the preformance department. In my brief moment on TSA, the server was in an almost constant state of high ping, and the massive amount at entities in the spawn sector makes for an unwelcoming experience to never players.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    well I was interested in playing here when i saw they redacted the original no blueprint thingie, then.... well.. re-redacted it again hehe.

Alternatively: have you considered limiting players to 1 or 2 uploaded ships under a certain mass size? That way they could bring a medium ship or two, but if they wanted a big OP ship they'd then have to build it on the server? Yeah it might.... make moderation slghtly more annoying and time consuming, but it would appeal to a lot of folks who are proud of their own designs and like to bring one or two with them, or who suck at building ships and would like to cruise around in something that works. Just a "compromise" idea.
    We are currently discussing a upload appeal system, we would develop guidelines which would have to be met (including a maximum mass) It would function as a way for players to send us their blueprints and after we review them we would decide whether or not to upload them. I can see many players not wanting to give away their blueprints and that's fine, but we will not be changing our no blueprints rule anytime in the future.
    [doublepost=1502193510,1502193468][/doublepost]
    If you can find proof of this then I would be very interested to follow it up but as of current its just empty threats.

Reaction score
    We are currently discussing a upload appeal system, we would develop guidelines which would have to be met (including a maximum mass) It would function as a way for players to send us their blueprints and after we review them we would decide whether or not to upload them.
    i think if your server settings are working for you, you should just ignore everyone on here and go about your business.

but heres my perspective anyway. i think enabling uploads would actually do more to protect and enable the new players, since theyre the ones who dont already know how to build death machines if thats the goal.

you already have people building ships that can wipe your whole server in 5 mins, theyre just ugly. you already have people aggressively attacking others who end up being dealt with by the admin staff. you already have rules about fighting.

enabling uploads wont change any of that. dangerous ships are still dangerous, and players who dont fit your playstyle will be removed. youll just have a larger pool of both potential players and ship diversity.

the only benefit i can see of keeping uploads disabled is increasing players online time and investment in the server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Pretty good server would recommend,
    Ship mass is limited at 50k but its already enough to make extremely good pvp ships, they are talking about changing the ship mass though.
    Community is pretty friendly , but we have some pvpers including me.
    No they don't , they are pretty strict & act as normal players , when they loose ships they try to make a new one without even uploading a blueprint.

Reactions: MossyStone48

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    i enjoy my visits. for me (in the usa) the lag to an eu server makes pvp impossible. i have been enjoying breaking npc pirate's bases and testing out my mining fleet on a live server tho.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    On a serious note, this server is the pits. It has terrible performance, is full of noobs, and you'll get permabanned for breaking the extremely vague and constantly changing rules.

On a more lighthearted hand, I had a great time dodging the rather incompetent attempts at banning that was put forth. Well worth the half hour.

Reactions: GDPR 302420

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    so we'll never see you on this server again? glad to hear it. server just hit the coveted 11/10 for having reduced salt content.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    so we'll never see you on this server again? glad to hear it. server just hit the coveted 11/10 for having reduced salt content.
    Love you too war

Honestly the PvP tag should be removed. There is no true PvP. I've had a total of two duels, both of which I was outmassed 5 to 1 and both times they jumped out to avoid actually fighting. Then I was banned for shooting an abandoned ship. The community you claim to nurture is full of people who have no idea how the game works, but instead of actually letting them learn the PvP game you just ban whoever happens to fire off a round in someone's general direction.

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    love? tbh i have no idea who you are and i need a little more romance than 'herp derp i wike peeveepee'.

every server has the right to not give a flying toss what you think the game 'should be' or how to handle pvp while also reserving the right to show you the door. enjoy the door. its got a new paint job. i hear the snozzberries taste like not salt. for that try licking the crybaberries.

Reactions: Equilibrium21

Jebediah1

FlyingZeene_TNT, Emperor of NRE. (Scipio)
    Reaction score
    Ok, disallowing blueprints doesn't discourage op ships, If anything, it encourages them. Any good player can make a "OP" doombrick in only a few hours. People will make "OP" stuff if you like it or not. most people I know make ships on single player or other servers players spend days working on them to look nice with intent of spawning them on servers. If you can't spawn them then you are just forced to make a doombrick or waste days on making another RP ship.

Last edited:

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    love? tbh i have no idea who you are and i need a little more romance than 'herp derp i wike peeveepee'.

every server has the right to not give a flying toss what you think the game 'should be' or how to handle pvp while also reserving the right to show you the door. enjoy the door. its got a new paint job. i hear the snozzberries taste like not salt. for that try licking the crybaberries.
    Every server should at least advertise themselves correctly or at least have their rules somewhere to be viewed.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    or, and hear me out, broski... you could log in and get a feel for the place then leave if it's not to your liking. you know; just leave. no manifestos, no treatises. no need to find their forum topic and use up your imperial salary to dust it with impotency and mock outrage. you just... move on.
    even steam has a return policy that lasts 14 days or 2 hours (whichever comes first). so risking, say, 10min instead of however long you played plus half an hour of ban dodging seems like a slightly more responsible use of time. but it's your time so idgaf.

ciao mi amici

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    or, and hear me out, broski... you could log in and get a feel for the place then leave if it's not to your liking. you know; just leave. no manifestos, no treatises. no need to find their forum topic and use up your imperial salary to dust it with impotency and mock outrage. you just... move on.
    even steam has a return policy that lasts 14 days or 2 hours (whichever comes first). so risking, say, 10min instead of however long you played plus half an hour of ban dodging seems like a slightly more responsible use of time. but it's your time so idgaf.

ciao mi amici
    I'm not outraged, I'm amused. Most especially that you of all people, someone who actually does know how to play the game is defending their double standards and terrible administration.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Aha! you see the comedy.

there's a couple of assumptions you've made:
    i said MOCK outrage my nin-friend-o.
    i'm not defending SA or any of their decisions and i never have.

i have, and will continue, to defend a server's right to be w/e it is that keeps folks coming back. SA is nothing if not successful. no matter any one person's opinion on their adminship. people keep logging in and they seem to be enjoying their stay.

someone who actually does know how to play the game
    i persist in the concept that no one, not even the great gray one him-furry-self, knows how to play this game. it's still debated if there even is a game to be played within the existing build. so... a server has to decide for itself what it is going to be. at this moment the only measure of success is player retention. which SA manages and it's a reputation they've stood upon regardless of poorly advertised pvp elements and alleged admonaboose.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    What objective parameters have been set in terms of defining what is desired and undesirable within this server? Admittedly the current configs do not yet offer sufficient controls over ships and stations to my liking which unfortunately leads to rules, which require enforcement. Without clear and accurate parameters your leaving your admin team open to allegations of corruption.
    [doublepost=1502212855,1502211953][/doublepost]I would also suggest not playing with the general populace on your admin accounts as anything you do in a competitive fashion will immediately be in question. Even then It's doubly important to accept losses to other players and move on. Banning a player immediately after a competitive loss looks really really bad. It shows you cannot accept that others may have greater experience and knowlege than you and you instead have resorted to admin powers to "win". This in turn decreases the player base's confidence in the admin team's ability to resolve disputes.

Reaction score
    > No Blueprints

I thought and still do think that some of the pro-blueprint arguments are persuasive and well written despite us choosing to keep blueprints disabled. It's a little sad to see one of them becoming just a weak personal attack.

How come this server isn't dead yet?
    Thus far claims that the no blueprint uploading policy will lead to the downfall of the server haven't really come to fruition. Comparing monthly player count from Starmade Server List we're currently the third most popular server around with monthly player count having risen since we started. And the difference between us an the current most popular server Brierie being only 6 more monthly players.

well I was interested in playing here when i saw they redacted the original no blueprint thingie, then.... well.. re-redacted it again hehe.

Alternatively: have you considered limiting players to 1 or 2 uploaded ships under a certain mass size? That way they could bring a medium ship or two, but if they wanted a big OP ship they'd then have to build it on the server? Yeah it might.... make moderation slghtly more annoying and time consuming, but it would appeal to a lot of folks who are proud of their own designs and like to bring one or two with them, or who suck at building ships and would like to cruise around in something that works. Just a "compromise" idea.
    Yea... sorry about that re-redacting thing... though that was a while ago we intentionally didn't give an official post about the change because I expected it might be temporary, it was and we changed back within a day after some incidents.

Thats a good idea, thank you. As XMB said we're considering a allowing moderated blueprint uploads and limiting them based on mass plus per player sounds good. Preferably we'd implement that through a semi-automated system which we'll be looking into.

Disallowing BP uploads ultimately causes ships on the server to look like absolute ass because those things take a decent amount of time to build in creative mode, and tsa expects people to do that with limited resources and re-build said ship every time it gets destroyed? Tedious, unfun and serves no purpose. People are not gonna build pretty under these conditions, its all gonna be Joelbrisco styled doom cubes at the very best.
    I really do feel like everything about the no blueprints rule has been said already but I'll respond to this quickly: If you think disallowing BP uploads will cause the server to look bad then come on and see for yourself, there arn't millions of doom cubes going about, almost everything that I've seen has been well designed except from the ships used by people that wanted to grief the server.

Also to clarify not every time it gets destroyed, blueprints are enabled, we just don't allow blueprint uploads.

DO NOT PLAY ON TSA. It is a terrible server. I have taken the time out of my day to write this review because the admins are abusive, the server latency and management is terrible, and the server's advertisement is misleading

1. The admins are abusive, they spawn in 200k bathtubs and leave them floating around. They spawn in whatever they need and all have ganged up in their little admin faction. Oh wait! Don't kill them though! If you start blowing them up when they are trying to fight you then you'll be BANNED!

2. The admins take horrible care of the server. There is over 200 entities at spawn, which makes the game extremely hard to play when 90% of people will receive 1 FPS in these conditions. The admins allow scrubby players to crash ships into planets and then just leave them there. A lot of noob's have just created accidental lag machines, butttt the admins are too occupied banning pvpers and spawning in bathtubs to take care of this.

3. The servers advertisement is misleading, this server claims to be a PVP server in the description, yet if you fire a cannon in someone's direction you'll be IP banned. The admins seem to ban people who might make their precious lag causing noobs to leave. My friend was banned because he DEFENDED himself against two people who grappled onto his ship and then started shooting at his ship with laser pistols.

In conclusion, do not waste your time on the TSA servers. The admins are terrible, the ping is terrible, and if you try and PVP at all you will be banned.
    How incredibly false almost everything in that post is amazes me. As XMB said already:

If you can find proof of this then I would be very interested to follow it up but as of current its just empty threats.
    IKindaCrashALot, you've been banned twice now. Once temporarily for bullying much smaller factions and demanding a 'tax' for protection or killing them until they leave the server (and several did leave directly because of you), then a second time recently for spawn camping. If you disagree with those bans make a ban appeal on our forums, they're all public but otherwise don't just go making up lies.

Drama aside, I can definetly say the server is certantly not that good in the preformance department. In my brief moment on TSA, the server was in an almost constant state of high ping, and the massive amount at entities in the spawn sector makes for an unwelcoming experience to never players.
    StarMade is wonderful but isn't without its problems, we try out best to keep the server as lag free and with the highest uptime as possible, for the most part we do. We do clean up spawn periodically including recently when someone flooded it with 100s of NPC to intentionally cause lag.

Our sever currently has very good 99% uptime (as rated by Starmade Server List) above most other popular servers like Brierie (at 98%) and FreaksRUs (at 96%). Regarding ping the server is based in Europe so its inevitably that people in some locations have high ping but within Europe ping is very good.

Honestly the PvP tag should be removed. There is no true PvP.
    We've never said hardcore 'if you can't survive then leave' PvP is a part of the server, we've mentioned PvP once very briefly and left it as a tag on the server list (as almost every single other server has). We do actually try to be welcoming to those that are new, casual or just don't enjoy the idea of dying over and over. I'll change some of the description to make that more clear but its never been said heavily and removing the tag would be silly, we do allow PvP even if its not in the hardcore form that you like.

And I totally agree with Warsong's replies to the rest of your messages.

What objective parameters have been set in terms of defining what is desired and undesirable within this server? Admittedly the current configs do not yet offer sufficient controls over ships and stations to my liking which unfortunately leads to rules, which require enforcement. Without clear and accurate parameters your leaving your admin team open to allegations of corruption.
    Thanks for the suggestions NaStral, we are aware that some of the rules are a little too open to interpretation and that's something we'd like to amend soon, though to a point that will aways be an issue.

I would also suggest not playing with the general populace on your admin accounts as anything you do in a competitive fashion will immediately be in question. Even then It's doubly important to accept losses to other players and move on. Banning a player immediately after a competitive loss looks really really bad. It shows you cannot accept that others may have greater experience and knowlege than you and you instead have resorted to admin powers to "win". This in turn decreases the player base's confidence in the admin team's ability to resolve disputes.
    Having been an admin on several Minecraft servers where staff ranks are clearly split and logged based on trust (lower trust moderators would just not have the ability to spawn in anything or do more than temp ban) I understand where to desire for separation especially since StarMade has none of this. (AKA there is one admin rank and they can do everything)

I currently think an admin could easily switch to their admin account if they intended to break the rules and every admin command on every account is logged anyway regardless of account. I appreciate the suggestion but currently I don't think it would be much of a barrier to admin abuse, it will always be down to trust in a situation when people don't know 100% of the time what an admin has done or is doing. May even slow admins down in responding to incidents. We're working on something to improve this but it's not finished yet.

Well that was a long post...

To conclude, thanks to everyone that has been playing on the server (there are happily quite a few of you) it's nice too see the server still doing well and we'll continue to try and improve it. Thanks as well to almost all of those that have been posting in this thread and our own forum, we are listening to suggestions.

Reactions: Carnifex606
    Reaction score
    As XMB said we're considering a allowing moderated blueprint uploads and limiting them based on mass plus per player sounds good. Preferably we'd implement that through a semi-automated system which we'll be looking into.
    This would be appreciated by many.

Also to clarify not every time it gets destroyed, blueprints are enabled, we just don't allow blueprint uploads.
    An important clarification - I've made a blueprint of a ship created on TSA and saved it locally so I could use it elsewhere, and test it in creative mode. Building copies at a shipyard from that blueprint wouldn't be a problem any more than it'd be anywhere else.

IKindaCrashALot... don't just go making up lies.
    I'll admit that I have some trouble believing him too, given the reputation that I've inferred, but he's not been the only one with complaints and that speaks more to me than anything he could say himself.

We've never said hardcore 'if you can't survive then leave' PvP is a part of the server, we've mentioned PvP once very briefly and left it as a tag on the server list (as almost every single other server has). We do actually try to be welcoming to those that are new, casual or just don't enjoy the idea of dying over and over. I'll change some of the description to make that more clear but its never been said heavily and removing the tag would be silly, we do allow PvP even if its not in the hardcore form that you like.

Thanks for the suggestions NaStral, we are aware that some of the rules are a little too open to interpretation and that's something we'd like to amend soon, though to a point that will aways be an issue.
    We definitely need clarifications on the PVP rules - from the perspective of someone who is interested in a little PVP myself. Where does the boundary line lie, in the admins' view, between honorable and sporting combat versus griefing?

Comparing monthly player count from Starmade Server List we're currently the third most popular server around with monthly player count having risen since we started. And the difference between us an the current most popular server Brierie being only 6 more monthly players.
    Are you aware that a significant plurality of those players are inactive, and merely claimed a system and then abandoned it? The server needs to purge inactive factions and players every so often to clean up the useless clutter.

Having been an admin on several Minecraft servers where staff ranks are clearly split and logged based on trust (lower trust moderators would just not have the ability to spawn in anything or do more than temp ban) I understand where to desire for separation especially since StarMade has none of this. (AKA there is one admin rank and they can do everything)

I currently think an admin could easily switch to their admin account if they intended to break the rules and every admin command on every account is logged anyway regardless of account. I appreciate the suggestion but currently I don't think it would be much of a barrier to admin abuse, it will always be down to trust in a situation when people don't know 100% of the time what an admin has done or is doing. May even slow admins down in responding to incidents. We're working on something to improve this but it's not finished yet.

And here we come to a serious issue that has me considering leaving the server for greener pastures.
    Without the player community's trust, you've got little more than a single-player game with occasional spectators. How can we be sure that the game will be fair? We can't see everything that's going on, and unconfirmed allegations of admin-players spawning in whatever they please to maintain an advantage over everyone else is concerning to say the least. If these allegations are true, in any part, I'm booking it and taking with me as many other players as I can.

To conclude, thanks to everyone that has been playing on the server (there are happily quite a few of you) it's nice too see the server still doing well and we'll continue to try and improve it. Thanks as well to almost all of those that have been posting in this thread and our own forum, we are listening to suggestions.
    Thanks for responding in a meaningful way. This'll keep me at least interested in continuing on the server for the time being.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen

And here we come to a serious issue that has me considering leaving the server for greener pastures.
    Without the player community's trust, you've got little more than a single-player game with occasional spectators. How can we be sure that the game will be fair? We can't see everything that's going on, and unconfirmed allegations of admin-players spawning in whatever they please to maintain an advantage over everyone else is concerning to say the least. If these allegations are true, in any part, I'm booking it and taking with me as many other players as I can.
    Well the question is truly what would you have us do? how could we possibly disprove these
    allegations, as we said before we will provide any information we can do to help but what more can we do?

Status
    Not open for further replies.