The Odium Pact "acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    And you haven't "beat" us at anything. A real "spy" wouldn't allow the fact that he's leaking ships out to the public, among other things.
    Please MrNature, whos faction is riddled with spies at every level...you who is the real master of spies, please tell me what a real spy would do, as you are so clearly successful in the area of espionage and triplicity such that you know what you are talking about. In fairness you talk to my spies more then I do...

also can you tell me some about this no true Scotsman fallacy you used,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
    for someone who prides themselves on their writing skill, a logical fallacy, really?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Have you logged into the game recently? LordofWar has been killing your members non stop
    No, he's only been killing me over and over and over again for a multitude of reasons (with half of them being my fault) :P

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You know, I don't think your arguments will fare much better, either.

"Yes, he stole hundreds of hours of work, yes, he is handing out other peoples' work without giving them credit, and yes, he has not recieved permjssion from a single one of them, but no, he should not get in trouble at all for it."

Call Leverage (Great show enjoyed every episode from first to last!)

Reaction score
    I think that everyone needs a big fat war right now or a removal of all current factions or most to allow for new young factions to grow

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I had a hypothesis that something along a new "dark age" would happen on the old site back at the height of the mutiny war. It resulted in all main factions being destroyed but it has proven (obviously) to be false.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I think that everyone needs a big fat war right now or a removal of all current factions or most to allow for new young factions to grow
    Yeah, just what we need. More factions with little to no thought put in them, with people who will probably only join just because they need somewhere to park their big salvage block.

Reaction score
    Thoughts of Grand Moff Tarkin
    I concur with Incap, I believe that a few strong factions are necessary to keep the system in order. If global superpowers like Russia and The United States did not exist, the world would likely fall apart. So it is necessary to have the larger factions just as much as it is necessary to have the smaller factions.

An equal balance is what we really need here. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done. See below post for further elaboration on this topic, this post was made late last night, so I could not explicate fully.
    Sincerely,

Grand Moff Tarkin
    Minister of Finance & Secretary of State
    The Rebel Alliance

"And That's The Way It Is." ~Walter Cronkite, News Broadcaster.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    In order for superpowers to be established we need to all be on the same server or have an offical server where faction politics can be carried out without intervention by admins/devs. If this can be done and if the whole faction points thing from one of the q&a's is added factions would get more meaning then just a place to park. It would also make power struggles a real thing and not these petty kid fights that happen.
    If this gets done then this game can get more people in the community and starmade will grow and start to reach the potential we know it has in it, this could be a great game and get really big.(side note: stability and optimization fixes need to happen as well not more stuff)

Reaction score
    Thoughts of Grand Moff Tarkin Continued...

Just explicating further on my ideas from the night prior.

Bendm, lets say that all power was consolidated into many smaller factions. Take 50 for example. Those 50 would go about their ways, have small stations, smaller ships most likely, and would just keep to themselves. The stations would be smaller for a lack of members to build them, and the ships would be smaller for the same reason as mentioned above. I would be doubtful if there would be so many grand creations here if people did not collaborate to get things done.

In that case, faction wars would be eliminated as well. I know that there has not been a major war for some time, but when wars happen, regardless of how bad they are for the other faction, they do create a lot of buzz, get the forums in an uproar, and often times attract new members and make old members want to stay as a part of the community. If all factions were small, that would not be possible. A faction of 5 or 6 people, and that is all that they had ever had, could probably not have a fleet of 50 to 60 ships. And even if they did, who would pilot all of them.

The only small faction idea that you propagated would only destroy action and leave no unity or friendship amongst the ranks. It is impractical for the first part, because why would a faction like The DFN or The Lazarus Imperium just decide to brake up for no reason? They would not, unless their leaders left or something of the sort. It is not logical and also not practical at all in a sense. The whole system here would simply fall apart.

But speaking to the point, I think the issue here at the present is that there are not enough small factions. The way I see it, there are really only five core, genuinely large factions (The DFN, Void Templar, Vaygr Empire, Lazarus Imperium, The Euro-Corp Syndicate). Hell argue with me if you will, but when I log on everyday, these are the threads that I see every day. And their membership lists do not lie, I have done research and know who is in what (Except Euro-Corp, never going to be able to figure that one out :} )

But five to me is an acceptable number when we have 62 faction threads. Then you have your middle factions, like 12-16 members,
    (The Rebel Alliance, Helghast Federation, Calderon, The Caldera Empire, etc.). And then of course you have your smaller factions. Honestly though the only smaller faction that I have seen be successful so far is The Adenian Empire, at least at the present time. So what we need is a strong and active base of smaller factions to provide both alliances with larger factions and a good starting point for newer members.

I think the coolest thing would be to have large factions, rather than join a faction alliance, take on a sphere of influence over smaller factions near them on servers and create large groups similar to The Soviet Union. Satellite factions of sorts. And then these large faction-satellite faction groups could battle one another in large-scale conflicts. Perhaps I am obsessed with history and just ranting about the Soviet Union but I still think it would be pretty cool.

And Karnageking, I agree and like the idea. My idea of superpowers mentioned above would be planned all on the same server, within the realitively same region.

So in closing, we need large factions, medium sized factions, and smaller factions to keep everything balanced. Right now it may look like the larger factions are the only ones doing anything but that is simply because they are and want to be active. Smaller factions need to be active here on the forums and server side daily. Lastly, sorry for posting this here ridik_ulass, I hope we are not ruining your thread to too great an extent. Thanks for reading and sorry that it is quite long. Again these are my opinions, and you may disagree or agree at your will.

But Incap is right, if you are going to disagree with a statement, at least one that is thought out like this, at least back your own statements up with words. Simply disagreeing gets us no where, without telling us why you do disagree. You should write something like this Bendm. Then perhaps we can better understand your points.

Sincerely,

Grand Moff Tarkin
    Minister of Finance & Secretary of State
    The Rebel Alliance

"And That's The Way It Is." ~Walter Cronkite, News Broadcaster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    NGE and ToC were great middle/small factions till they fell. Another small faction is Systems Security force and the seperatist. The systems lord faction was doing good but is inactive now.

Reaction score
    GrandMoffTarkin I'm fine I don't mind this thread being the place of discussion.

Infact what everyone is talking about here I agree with, thats why I was giving away ships to smaller factions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'd just like ridik to give credit to the people who built the ships. Since he supposedly knows everything he should also know who built those ships in the first place, so it shouldn't be that hard. Just ad a little "by Forge_Meiser" for example.

For reclamations about ship performance, tell them to address the author directly (lol).

Reaction score
    I just want to see smaller new factions come and rival the age old names of DFN Eurocorp Vagyr lazzurus and void templars take them down I believed that to allow this to happen there would have to be a catalyst one that I think the fall of a major faction or a "yog swarm "type thing again (I came right after the yog swarm

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    a faction expands in size and influence because of the environment community, and support structure that it has and develops. Large factions have that, the main thing being community and support. If it is not fun or meaning full to be in a faction then people will leave and do better with their own faction. Factions who fail at creating a good environment for their members will fail and fall. These old factions are and been successful in creating these environment. I know you don't like these factions because of their size. But the smaller factions that arise, will only be small or vanish if they don't learn from the old factions.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I just want to see smaller new factions come and rival the age old names of DFN Eurocorp Vagyr lazzurus and void templars take them down I believed that to allow this to happen there would have to be a catalyst one that I think the fall of a major faction or a "yog swarm "type thing again (I came right after the yog swarm
    The only thing that stopped me from taking the Tartaran Empire and declaring war on all small factions, and absorbing them one by one Roman Empire style was factions like DFN and Lazarus (not even going to call them an Empire at this point). The bigger factions exist for a reason.

Reaction score
    The only thing that stopped me from taking the Tartaran Empire and declaring war on all small factions, and absorbing them one by one Roman Empire style was factions like DFN and Lazarus (not even going to call them an Empire at this point). The bigger factions exist for a reason.
    Insult taken.

But still, Incap is right. If other factions weren't there to balance each other off, small factions would have even LESS of a chance of survival.

Honestly, starting a faction is not as ridiculously impossible as people think. You just need to be aggressive. You can't just create a thread and expect people to join. You have to go out and recruit, get you're name out there. You have to work the system.

Most people create a half-ass thread and let it sit there, thinking it will rack up the members. It doesn't work like that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I feel like we'll see ranks start to swell up again in a matter of weeks. With summer break coming up, it wont be just elementary kids getting out. Plenty of High School and College guys have a whole summer vacation as well. It's usually the case with games that are experiencing a lull in the fanbase; Once school's out, stuff starts happening.

In terms of faction size: Everyone wants to be big. Only certain people with good reasons actually want to stay small. Not everyone can be big, though, because more often than not, new small factions have such a pitifully poor and tiny main post it doesn't attract new members so much as it attracts "Aww that's cute"s. Personally i spent a few hours planning out the Adenian Empire's thread and even still it isn't the absolute best.

The basis is, Better factions get bigger. Piss-poor factions stay at that sad little 1 member count. But that's good. If we had piss-poor factions in the 30+ member count area, well... it'd be piss-poor.

I also agree with GrandMoffTarkin, Leanson, and Karnage. The bigger factions keep the smaller (and equal-sized) factions in check. However, some smaller factions can be a big enough threat that THEY keep the bigger factions in line, for various reasons. It's a great big balance game in terms of power. You've got the overlords, the underlings, and the peasants. All three capable in some way of overthrowing the others, and often do.

If you WANT to get bigger, get your hind over on TRA's main server. The place has a decent amount of people on at all times, and get social. I do suggest not just inviting everyone left and right. As much as you wanna be a big faction, people who you invite on a whim tend to... leave on a whim. With all your stuff. The more of a friend you are with your new members, the likelihood of them staying skyrockets. The same goes for people who have friends already in the faction. Encourage your existing members to invite their friends to apply to join.

A really good way to judge maturity and trustworthiness is something i'm going to try doing some time.

Before having them join the faction, bring them on to a Teamspeak channel and have them talk to you, a voice interview. Also, people who want to join just to defac everything dont want to go through a long process. Unless they're really determined to steal something.

One thing that would really help is for faction permissions and rank to actually have a use with the Permissions Module.
    I'm looking at you, Schine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.