The Odium Pact "acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    you know we should all take a vote on which server we could turn into the (unofficial) official server. So we can get things going again.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Would be nice, But I doubt a there is a server that can handle all the large ships of many factions u:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    you know we should all take a vote on which server we could turn into the (unofficial) official server. So we can get things going again.
    I was actually thinking of creating a server for the Adenians and other factions that want to hop in once I get a dedicated server rig set up.

Though I do agree that a powerful "Main" server would do good for us.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I would hop on that wagon probably Evan.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Insult taken.

But still, Incap is right. If other factions weren't there to balance each other off, small factions would have even LESS of a chance of survival.

Honestly, starting a faction is not as ridiculously impossible as people think. You just need to be aggressive. You can't just create a thread and expect people to join. You have to go out and recruit, get you're name out there. You have to work the system.

Most people create a half-ass thread and let it sit there, thinking it will rack up the members. It doesn't work like that.
    Some offense intended. I just think it's silly you have the headline "Greatest Empire in Starmade" when you started off as an engineering corp and then suddenly became an Imperium (which isn't a real form of government by the way) when Empires suddenly became the 'in thing.'

I do agree with you on the whole faction thing.

Reaction score
    Some offense intended. I just think it's silly you have the headline "Greatest Empire in Starmade" when you started off as an engineering corp and then suddenly became an Imperium (which isn't a real form of government by the way) when Empires suddenly became the 'in thing.'

I do agree with you on the whole faction thing.
    sttup ur dum

No, just kiddng, I totally dig where your getting at. Makes sense.

But yeah, most people completely underestimate the time and resources it takes to run a faction, especially one of any magnitude.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you're all looking for a new server, I know that Elwyn is resetting when the weapons update lands, and is running on a new 4 core 32GB machine.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    sttup ur dum

No, just kiddng, I totally dig where your getting at. Makes sense.

But yeah, most people completely underestimate the time and resources it takes to run a faction, especially one of any magnitude.
    Totally agree. It's usually a good idea to stay with a larger faction for a good while and learn the ropes of governing and maintaining a faction, so you can leave if the faction you're with is not to your liking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    And Latin is a dead language.
    As any official or first language, yes, but Latin lives on in a ton of languages, especially Italian, and is used quite often in Science and other fields of studies. In terms of disagreeing the post because of just that, well.. it's the only thing you mentioned that had anything to comment on.

Totally agree. It's usually a good idea to stay with a larger faction for a good while and learn the ropes of governing and maintaining a faction, so you can leave if the faction you're with is not to your liking.
    Which I wish people would do more often.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    QUOTE="Incap, post: 18681, member: 275694"]And Latin is a dead language.

And why even disagree with the post over that? That's pretty silly.[/QUOTE]
    Id say that since Latin is predominate in Odium Factions here that it also counts for Lazarus

Reaction score
    How I feel about people being pedantic about arguments that aren't entertaining, funny, political or about starmade in this thread, normally I am all for drama and arguing but in this case.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I feel like we'll see ranks start to swell up again in a matter of weeks. With summer break coming up, it wont be just elementary kids getting out. Plenty of High School and College guys have a whole summer vacation as well. It's usually the case with games that are experiencing a lull in the fanbase; Once school's out, stuff starts happening.

In terms of faction size: Everyone wants to be big. Only certain people with good reasons actually want to stay small. Not everyone can be big, though, because more often than not, new small factions have such a pitifully poor and tiny main post it doesn't attract new members so much as it attracts "Aww that's cute"s. Personally i spent a few hours planning out the Adenian Empire's thread and even still it isn't the absolute best.

The basis is, Better factions get bigger. Piss-poor factions stay at that sad little 1 member count. But that's good. If we had piss-poor factions in the 30+ member count area, well... it'd be piss-poor.

I also agree with GrandMoffTarkin, Leanson, and Karnage. The bigger factions keep the smaller (and equal-sized) factions in check. However, some smaller factions can be a big enough threat that THEY keep the bigger factions in line, for various reasons. It's a great big balance game in terms of power. You've got the overlords, the underlings, and the peasants. All three capable in some way of overthrowing the others, and often do.

If you WANT to get bigger, get your hind over on TRA's main server. The place has a decent amount of people on at all times, and get social. I do suggest not just inviting everyone left and right. As much as you wanna be a big faction, people who you invite on a whim tend to... leave on a whim. With all your stuff. The more of a friend you are with your new members, the likelihood of them staying skyrockets. The same goes for people who have friends already in the faction. Encourage your existing members to invite their friends to apply to join.

A really good way to judge maturity and trustworthiness is something i'm going to try doing some time.

Before having them join the faction, bring them on to a Teamspeak channel and have them talk to you, a voice interview. Also, people who want to join just to defac everything dont want to go through a long process. Unless they're really determined to steal something.

One thing that would really help is for faction permissions and rank to actually have a use with the Permissions Module.
    I'm looking at you, Schine.
    What about a rich and powerful one man faction? Hmmm, that actually sounds fun. Just look at what planr single handedly did on nass with that collector :P. (must... resist... temptation...)

Reaction score
    What about a rich and powerful one man faction? Hmmm, that actually sounds fun. Just look at what planr single handedly did on nass with that collector :p. (must... resist... temptation...)
    its been said more then a few times that Euro-Corp is a one man faction. I'm not sure if I want to take credit for the work of others though,

Or maybe Euro-Corp is just an epic one man faction, but how could I do such a thing by my lonesome ? oh I know..

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    its been said more then a few times that Euro-Corp is a one man faction. I'm not sure if I want to take credit for the work of others though,

Or maybe Euro-Corp is just an epic one man faction, but how could I do such a thing by my lonesome ? oh I know..
    So, all your spies are under contract and not actually part of eurocorp? What about leanson, he used to be a eurocorp member.

I am seriously tempted to take up an other name and completely wreck havoc on nass, think like the Lanius from the game FTL. Their intentions are not hostile, they just consume metal (and therefore ships) and can't really be reasoned with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.