StarSide Blood and Steel: Season 2

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sorry y'all i was on vacation until yesterday, We've pushed the submission date back to the 8th of the month and the tournament to the 12/13 due to some issues on our side, as well as people not being able to finish up fast enough. I'm sorry we haven't been keeping up here, i'll take that as my fault, again due to "vacation" for lack of a better word. Regardless, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sorry y'all i was on vacation until yesterday, We've pushed the submission date back to the 8th of the month and the tournament to the 12/13 due to some issues on our side, as well as people not being able to finish up fast enough. I'm sorry we haven't been keeping up here, i'll take that as my fault, again due to "vacation" for lack of a better word. Regardless, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Thank you for clarifying.

What day will the tournament be?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well thats a pain in the bum I could have got some sleep last night instead of finishing up the Imposer.

Guess it will be a week of trimming and testing.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Hey everybody! I too would like to apologize for the silence and confusion. The tournament and submission have been pushed back exactly one week. Here's a video with some more info. Enjoy the additional week of fine-tuning and combat testing. Looking forward to some bloody battles come tourney day!

Reactions: Tunk
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

I had Master_Artificer and Gladstone help with combat testing, 2 of them against mine and well. This is the result, Master (top left ship) charged at me and the results were... YOUCHIE while i took little to no shield damage :p Also applied on the enjin website, hope to see you guys there!
    No lol 24 hours to go.

Finishing up mine atm, although not 100% sure on the ship's engine design.

and still missing cockpit interior

but at least it's combat ready and the surprise works :D
    Those look stunningly beautyful i am so looking forward to the event. Thanks for the additional time for otherwise it would just be finished systemwise and covered in hull now i am able to honor my opponents by prettying it up as well a bit.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Can't say I'm really a fan of there being boarding equipment. As if the swarmer boats didn't already have a huge advantage. This changes nothing for them, but quite a lot for everyone else.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Swarm boats be winnin'. Station will be ignored by them, and last time it was already only that station that stopped them from absolutely dominating the scene. Even a swarm of drones AND that station TOGETHER was barely enough to stop a swarm boat from straight-up winning the grand final. And now the station can't be used as swarm bait?

I wonder if there will be a boat AT ALL that doesn't use them.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Swarm boats be winnin'. Station will be ignored by them, and last time it was already only that station that stopped them from absolutely dominating the scene. Even a swarm of drones AND that station TOGETHER was barely enough to stop a swarm boat from straight-up winning the grand final. And now the station can't be used as swarm bait?

I wonder if there will be a boat AT ALL that doesn't use them.
    Thats actually a good point regarding the station, would it be possible to get a swarmer boat count Saber or Raiben?

I'm pretty confident my AMS can shoot down 150+ missiles a second @3km, but if there are too many swarmer boats taking the mickie I'm tempted to change my entry to a missile-beam missile massacre drone rack to alpha troll everyone.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The whole setup is a swarm paradise. Locked into the same sector so you cannot outrun or stay out of range (which would otherwise be a good tactic and completely counter them) and no cover to use against them at all.
    In an environment like that, an already very cheap and skill-less weapon system (especially if you put it on a logic clock - you don't need to aim it, you don't even need to click fire, you just turn it on and it will lock itself on target) just got absolutely broken to the point that not using it would be straight-up stupid, putting yourself in a disadvantage against anyone who does have it.
    Not to mention that auto-swarms will not only track targets by themselves, but since you don't need to click, you can fire another weapon system the same time your swarms to their thing.
    Using advanced armor with defensive piercing effect could greatly decrease swarm missile efficiency while your armor lasts, but thanks to its mass, you would have a lot less blocks available for systems, putting you in a disadvantage on either offense or defense, depending on what you sacrifice. Meaning you either take longer to take out the enemy (and thus lose the time you gained with the extra protection) or you'll have a lot less defense against, say, punch-through cannons that bust through armor (and systems behind it) due to the amount of shields you had to trade off for the advanced armor and defensive piercing.

All in all, swarms rule.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The whole setup is a swarm paradise. Locked into the same sector so you cannot outrun or stay out of range (which would otherwise be a good tactic and completely counter them) and no cover to use against them at all.
    In an environment like that, an already very cheap and skill-less weapon system (especially if you put it on a logic clock - you don't need to aim it, you don't even need to click fire, you just turn it on and it will lock itself on target) just got absolutely broken to the point that not using it would be straight-up stupid, putting yourself in a disadvantage against anyone who does have it.
    Not to mention that auto-swarms will not only track targets by themselves, but since you don't need to click, you can fire another weapon system the same time your swarms to their thing.
    Using advanced armor with defensive piercing effect could greatly decrease swarm missile efficiency while your armor lasts, but thanks to its mass, you would have a lot less blocks available for systems, putting you in a disadvantage on either offense or defense, depending on what you sacrifice. Meaning you either take longer to take out the enemy (and thus lose the time you gained with the extra protection) or you'll have a lot less defense against, say, punch-through cannons that bust through armor (and systems behind it) due to the amount of shields you had to trade off for the advanced armor and defensive piercing.

All in all, swarms rule.
    Mmm I agree, swarms are just too broken

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Sorry, I may have not been paying close enough attention, but how do swarmers ignore stations? Has something changed?

With respect to any perceived imbalance with regard to swarmers, how about having two stations, assuming stations do 'not' get ignored. If stations 'do' get ignored, build an admin ship, give it god mode 'and' some point defense and park it in the middle of the sector. Maybe two of them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sorry, I may have not been paying close enough attention, but how do swarmers ignore stations? Has something changed?

With respect to any perceived imbalance with regard to swarmers, how about having two stations, assuming stations do 'not' get ignored. If stations 'do' get ignored, build an admin ship, give it god mode 'and' some point defense and park it in the middle of the sector. Maybe two of them.
    Point defense? so both opponents missiles getting fired by tierce party? No thanks

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

If you watched the announcement video, Saber and Raiben found a way to make an entity completely invisible even to swarmers, and plan to do that to the observation station during Blood and Steel, exactly to remove the swarm bait... I was referring to that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    If you watched the announcement video, Saber and Raiben found a way to make an entity completely invisible even to swarmers, and plan to do that to the observation station during Blood and Steel, exactly to remove the swarm bait... I was referring to that.
    Ah. Gotcha.

This is a mistake (IMO). Swarmers 'are' a superior weapon over everything else, precisely because they suffer the handicap of indiscriminate targeting. Arming a ship with swarmers means the ship cannot engage with those weapons if there are nearby, friendlies or neutrals you do not wish to make enemies with. For regular ships, that means either having swarmers merely as a compliment to other weapons such that you could elect to use swarmers in appropriate circumstances, or equipping them as the primary armament on very specialized ships that expect to only ever need to fire weapons while operating solo, such as battleminers. Given that such battleminers would be the primary target of griefers and pirates, giving them a combat edge is appropriate.

Having a battle tournament where a player can elect to bring a single swarmer armed ship with 'no' downside to using them is breaking the combat balance. In an open space engagement of equal tonnage, with no friendlies nearby, nothing beats a properly constructed swarmer armament. Having no obstacle or cover versus swarmers pretty much guarantees a victory for swarmers.

I 'strongly' urge that at least one invulnerable station be visible and targetable by swarmers, present on the map. Were I the one organizing such a tournament, I would in fact have two such stations, relatively close to one another (1 or 2K). Fail to do this and I can predict with virtual certainty, that the victory will go to a single swarmer armed ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Either have a station, or have random asteroids scattered around the map. Swarmers are too OP otherwise.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Either have a station, or have random asteroids scattered around the map. Swarmers are too OP otherwise.
    If our dear organizers Saber and Raiben ever really took part of the PvP scene instead of streaming it, they'd be aware of this.

Now, there is one option to limit the effectiveness of swarmers. Simply put, to compensate being locked in the same sector, edit the BlockBehaviorConfig and cut all weapon ranges in half. POOF problem solved. Mobile enough ships can now keep out of range of those f***ing swarmers and swarm boats will lose a good portion of their advantage.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    IDK why people view swarmers as a threatening weapon.

People usually use them when they don't know how to make good warships, and when I see a ship using swarms, it is an indicator to me that it is probably a shitty build. (internally of course, externally it can look amazing)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    IDK why people view swarmers as a threatening weapon.

People usually use them when they don't know how to make good warships, and when I see a ship using swarms, it is an indicator to me that it is probably a shitty build. (internally of course, externally it can look amazing)
    Swarmers normally aren't that threatening a weapon. The issue is that B & S is in a locked sector, meaning you can't really outrun the missiles.