StarMade v0.199.459 - Major Performance Upgrade

Reaction score
    Soooo have the problems been fixed yet?

Missiles now hitting targets and stations no longer going *POOF!*?

Been waiting forever for weapon lag to be fixed and am keen to try it out, but yeah, would like to be sure my stuff aint going to vanish when I log on.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    [...] If you use steam to play mainly, the game would update over steam and probably not backup :(.
    Wouldn't this be possible to address in the future? Since these sorts of risks are present in an alpha, the automatic backup feature seems like a piece of user protection you'd want at all times.

So, couldn't the launcher work it's way around this? For example, if it registers an update since last use, it runs a backup before launching the game?

Reactions: OMNESIA
    Reaction score
    What wrong with this game ??
    i just saved the blueprint and my works all gone there is nothing it s all gone !! why ?
    and also can someone explain me this please ? >>>>

Atheu

Gone but not forgotten
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I hate to say this but pushing these broken patches is what is gonna put this game in the grave before Beta, We've got people losing Stations, ships corrupting, blueprints breaking, turrets undocking spontaniously, AI bugging out. We don't need these hotfixes that "fix" the issues, we need patches that fully fix the game, otherwise the currently dwindling community base is going to cease to exist. I speak on this because even I, who has projects that have been put on the backburner because of bugs, fear I may even have to take a break from this game just because of it's unplayable state.

There are a few solutions to this that needs to be done.

1) There needs to be a major bugfix patch, ASAP - The current state of the game is practically unplayable. We shouldn't have to worry about builds we are working on losing parts and pieces, we shouldn't have to worry about our stations vanishing into void space. (unless your faction's meta is that)

2) Instead of pushing out new features every 2 weeks (as was planned originally) more time needs to be taken for QA and bug fixing, and testing on common variables (such as 12k sectors, lets be honest, the current sector size is so tiny). The game NEEDS to be tested in a multiplayer enviornment as well as singleplayer, you aren't going to get a decent result out of just singleplayer testing, some things are due to serverside issues and not clientside.

I'm tired of seeing these rushed patches, I know part of the development stage is going back and fixing bugs in one large patch, but honestly, it shouldn't be like that. The bugs should be ironed out before even releasing the feature to begin with.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Wouldn't this be possible to address in the future? Since these sorts of risks are present in an alpha, the automatic backup feature seems like a piece of user protection you'd want at all times.

So, couldn't the launcher work it's way around this? For example, if it registers an update since last use, it runs a backup before launching the game?
    Yes we already addressed that internally and this will definitely be in the next launcher update.
    [doublepost=1488146980,1488146934][/doublepost]We also see the problem with the short release cycle and we will probably change that too.

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    schema To be honest the Player Base is pissed. Atheu is absolutely correct. Little fixes latter do nothing to assure the Community that there is a point to having patience with broken patches. We've lost so many why push the remaining core away?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    schema To be honest the Player Base is pissed. Atheu is absolutely correct. Little fixes latter do nothing to assure the Community that there is a point to having patience with broken patches. We've lost so many why push the remaining core away?
    I find this to be an over reaction. This game is alpha. It's going to have times where an update does something unexpected. You should be great-full this game hasn't run away with your money and actually cares about it's player base.

Think about that. I've been at this game for 3 -4 years. Never once have I gotten angry at anyone for some mistakes. Frustration over lost work is understandable. But it's not when you go online and rage at the devs and blame people for it. It happens in an alpha game. That's what you need to expect when you sign up to/or download and play this game.

The playerbase seems spoiled. (not to put a blanket on those who are like me and understand)

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    SilverSound I've been here for 4+ Years playing the game. I can understand You think that I'm over-reacting. But there were times that people couldn't play for MONTHS due to bugs after a major overhaul. After the Graphics Overhaul on the .14 Update (years ago) we lost so many people and killed off alot of major factions cause people were fed up. We let it go then and we lost alot of GOOD people. We have to hold people accountable for making something unstable. With how many options there are for games like this. We can't lose more people for stupid reasons. I'm afraid of our community shrinking so much that we can't sustain ourselves.

Atheu

Gone but not forgotten
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I find this to be an over reaction. This game is alpha. It's going to have times where an update does something unexpected. You should be great-full this game hasn't run away with your money and actually cares about it's player base.

Think about that. I've been at this game for 3 -4 years. Never once have I gotten angry at anyone for some mistakes. Frustration over lost work is understandable. But it's not when you go online and rage at the devs and blame people for it. It happens in an alpha game. That's what you need to expect when you sign up to/or download and play this game.

The playerbase seems spoiled. (not to put a blanket on those who are like me and understand)
    Yes but if the testing was put through, we wouldn't be having these issues to begin with. and it hasn't been just this update. this is the first time i've actually said anything about this. there's been other patches that i was upset with as well, but it wasn't to the point where i felt the game was unplayable.

Reaction score
    I have not been playing long (less than 2 months...) But this game is already completely replaced my love of minecraft. The people before me always complain about the MAJOR bugs... as I do think there are some room for improvements. there are just bugs that need to be fixed. Schema, I applaud this game in the highest. There is no better Space Sandbox Voxel style game I have seen to date. I hope that everything will be better with time as I will always come back to this game to play when I have time. As I love this game so much I need to see one thing to feel like progress is happening. Overall performance and bug fixes are the best thing for this type of game in this cycle.

If you could take 30-60 days to just go though and fix a majority of the bugs without doing any big or small updates. I am speaking for most of us in saying that we would be OK seeing that. The Community needs help. The Game needs help.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OBJECTIONS AND WOULD RATHER SEE UPDATES OVER BUG FIXES PLEASE STATE IT IMMEDIATELY.

Reactions: Nuclear Doughnut
    Reaction score
    Darwinism at work. Schine is doing what they can, as best they can. Getting mad at them isn't helping anyone. However, voicing your concerns (as you ARE doing) is a good thing to do, keep at it!

But if schine's best isn't good enough to keep people around, then so be it. You have no personal stake in the company or its ability to make good on their promises aside from your own enjoyment of their product. Telling them how to do their job is not helpful. They've got their own system, and you don't know, maybe it has to be the way it is for ANYTHING to get done at all.

I think this game is going to do very well, in the end. This is all because of their hard work and openness, and despite their mistakes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Darwinism at work. Schine is doing what they can, as best they can. Getting mad at them isn't helping anyone. However, voicing your concerns (as you ARE doing) is a good thing to do, keep at it!

But if schine's best isn't good enough to keep people around, then so be it. You have no personal stake in the company or its ability to make good on their promises aside from your own enjoyment of their product. Telling them how to do their job is not helpful. They've got their own system, and you don't know, maybe it has to be the way it is for ANYTHING to get done at all.

I think this game is going to do very well, in the end. This is all because of their hard work and openness, and despite their mistakes.

Exactly. We all need to remember that Schine isn't a full Dev team. I'm not sure there are even enough testers to keep quality high. But that's no excuse to get angry at anyone for this. If a bunch of people left then they weren't tolerant enough to handle an alpha game. Come back after a few cycles.

It's good to take a break every once in a while.

Reaction score
    Yes but if the testing was put through
    They had stated further in this thread that they cant get testers as they dont last long.

schema To be honest the Player Base is pissed. Atheu is absolutely correct. Little fixes latter do nothing
    Yes the community is annoyed, but not only because of this patch, its because there has been nothing to do after building for 2+ years.

The little patches make it look like they are doing something, since they just had 2 months off from working on the game.
    As they have no/little amount of testers they need to drag out these patches, save us from 5+ hotfixes and keeps the focus on content instead of pushing a small update.

I also highly recommend taking a break from the game right now, ive been playing for abit over 2 years, got my 1000hours logged in steam, and even ive burned out and now playing something different

Reactions: Nuclear Doughnut
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This game is just starting to get interesting with the npc factions,if they can get the issues after the last update cleared up the fun times will continue.:schema:(y)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I've been having a lot of trouble getting my game to run over the last few patches. I was able to get it going with a little help, but it didn't last long before it was back to crashing out again no matter what I did. This patch seems to have cleared most of my problems up. I haven't really checked on a couple of projects, but everything else seems fine so far. Thanks!

Edit: Yeah, it's all here still
    starmade-screenshot-0011.png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    so the stuff disappering was from setting up for the patch after this patch? interesting

but if you really need testers, and players on the test server. the community will for sure soldier up and do some dirty work when you need them to. at this point crowdsourcing to the core community might be the best thing to keep things going.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    1) There needs to be a major bugfix patch, ASAP - The current state of the game is practically unplayable. We shouldn't have to worry about builds we are working on losing parts and pieces, we shouldn't have to worry about our stations vanishing into void space. (unless your faction's meta is that)
    The team always responds as quick as humanly possible. One of the major issues this time seems to actually be with steam (waiting on confirmation, can't speak for schine though), not the game itself. Its a rather subtle one to catch as well.

2) Instead of pushing out new features every 2 weeks (as was planned originally) more time needs to be taken for QA and bug fixing, and testing on common variables (such as 12k sectors, lets be honest, the current sector size is so tiny). The game NEEDS to be tested in a multiplayer enviornment as well as singleplayer, you aren't going to get a decent result out of just singleplayer testing, some things are due to serverside issues and not clientside.
    The test server is open and runs on the latest dev usually pretty fast. Please come and play on it, but you actually get a lot of good results from single player testing. Some issues don't pop up until you have a larger quantity of people but there are usually a few players on the test server, but we could really use more.

Reaction score
    The few testers we recruited don't stay for long. Most likely because the testing job is rather boring or that there is barely any reward for it besides some self satisfaction for finding a specific issue. It's a volunteer job and from what I've seen, only interesting enough for a few weeks.
    I'm mostly a solo player and wouldn't mind using the testing server to play and build on when I play. I usually play a few weeks at a time, leave the game for a bit, then come back. This also means I don't mind restarting often, and use blueprints/templates for the designs I find important.

Would this be of help to you? Is there a thread somewhere with more info about the testing server & what amounts to its code of conduct?

Edit: been trying to find information about the test server on the forum & wiki, but can't find tangible information. This confuses me. Is there a sign-on process involved, or does the server not run permanently?

Last edited: