StarMade v0.199.459 - Major Performance Upgrade

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I understand things like this is important than general content but seriously why can't we get 1 or 2 servers with dedicated people testing out features before they are released. I mean 1 tester is not going to find all different bugs but at the same time If missiles were overhauled shouldn't normal usage in a ship & ai using them of been a standard obvious bug test before it was released?

I love this game and I understand marketing will kill the game plus the lack of funds but you have a good player base that has stuck with you for 4-6 years who would be more than willing to test this sort of stuff before you release it.

I am sure even server owners would participate in bug testing for accurate results if it means we get proper working content released.

Sorry for ranting but alpha for 6 years with experienced players who know what the problems are are getting fedup and don't feel starmade is going to last. we have lost 75% of the community from the peak time when we had tons of servers with 50+ players on them 24/7.

Something needs to be done because this is not going to last.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How? I have not backed up. No idea how to do that and how do I spawn it back in if I do not have a current blueprint?
    In your starmade folder you will find some "backup-StarMade-[VERSION NUMBER][DATE][MICROTIME]" zip files.
    You'll want to grab the latest one, in here if you elected for a full backup you will find the pre update server files, extract this back into your starmade folder to restore them.
    Or on windows just copy and paste em back in.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    PRAISE SCHEMA

Aside from the initial station problem, this update is exactly what my faction have been looking for! I hope more updates like this come along that increase the playability.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I understand things like this is important than general content but seriously why can't we get 1 or 2 servers with dedicated people testing out features before they are released. I mean 1 tester is not going to find all different bugs but at the same time If missiles were overhauled shouldn't normal usage in a ship & ai using them of been a standard obvious bug test before it was released?

I love this game and I understand marketing will kill the game plus the lack of funds but you have a good player base that has stuck with you for 4-6 years who would be more than willing to test this sort of stuff before you release it.

I am sure even server owners would participate in bug testing for accurate results if it means we get proper working content released.
    The few testers we recruited don't stay for long. Most likely because the testing job is rather boring or that there is barely any reward for it besides some self satisfaction for finding a specific issue. It's a volunteer job and from what I've seen, only interesting enough for a few weeks.

Missiles and cannons were properly tested but like you said, 1 tester isn't going to find all the different bugs and missiles/cannons did have quite a few. You won't see the ones I found in release because they were fixed before that.
    My tunnel vision on these areas probably explains the reason why this station false positive went unnoticed. It's still strange since I loaded at least 3 different stations multiple times on the test server and it pisses me off why it didn't happen for them...

I used to have the time to play like any normal player on the test server. Now I don't and obviously testing suffers from that.
    The test server is up to date with the latest dev builds so anyone can join to check things out. If I need to constantly poke people to help me out, I will even have less time to do my own testing checklist. I know since I've been there before.

Sorry for ranting but alpha for 6 years with experienced players who know what the problems are are getting fedup and don't feel starmade is going to last. we have lost 75% of the community from the peak time when we had tons of servers with 50+ players on them 24/7.
    Your rant is justified about this false positive issue, but I don't see how that is related to "experienced players who know what the problems are". The thing here is that things that worked fine before, suddenly broke. And it can happen to anything big or small.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    In your starmade folder you will find some "backup-StarMade-[VERSION NUMBER][DATE][MICROTIME]" zip files.
    You'll want to grab the latest one, in here if you elected for a full backup you will find the pre update server files, extract this back into your starmade folder to restore them.
    Or on windows just copy and paste em back in.
    I have checked the "backup-StarMade-..." and the last back up was in March 2016 and I've never known to do a full back up. How do you do this? So in this case I guess the station and many hours of work lost?

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I'm very sorry Curithwin. If you use steam to play mainly, the game would update over steam and probably not backup :(. This is worst case after worst case coming together. There is a high possibility you can get the files with a file recovery program still

Reaction score
    I have checked the "backup-StarMade-..." and the last back up was in March 2016 and I've never known to do a full back up. How do you do this? So in this case I guess the station and many hours of work lost?
    just treat it like an early rebalance, gotta make a new refit then!

Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    Thanks Schema, I know it is not your fault. I did programme games a few years back so i can understand... Just frustrating.

just treat it like an early rebalance, gotta make a new refit then!
    Shaker, I am using it as a learning experience and trying to make the station better. I will back up regularly now, and in the process of making the station. I may even put in a display about how a dimension weapon from the Outcasts just erased my station.

Time to scrap turrets left and start again. Shame I had over 100 million credits of resources in the station itself and in cargo.

Reaction score
    Guess i'll wait for the hotfix to update the game and launch steam. Great update though.

Then i'll be able to spam again my auto swarmers.

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    yay, a broken fix... waitwhat :P

but in all seriousness, yer doing a great job so far schine team.. keep it up(y)

Reaction score
    Now a LOT of people will have to stop complaining on all the new releases about a lack of performance updates, :P.

Excellent, now I can probably use my C/Cs effectively. And it may be time to get a logic-automated swarmer system .... this should be fun.

Reaction score
    I think there are numerous issues going on at the moment. Aside from bases disappearing, I can't build anything besides placing the first block.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Has anyone else got THIS problem? Seems to affect prety much everything.

[...]
    You pressed F1 + 1 or F1 + 2 while looking on a block face.
    This is a debug function to rotate textures.

Delete the Starmade.jar in your installation directory, and use the launcher options and repair to replace it.

launcher2-optandrepait.png
    Press the button marked with 1.
    Select the build with the tag (latest) at the end in the dropdown at 2.
    then click the button marked with 3.

It should ideally then only download the starmade.jar again.

This will reset the orientation of the textures that have been rotated with the debug command.

- Andy

[Edit]
    splatthecat
    I guess I could have skipped the description on how to use the launcher,
    you are around a while already, sorry.
    [/Edit]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    Amazing! Thank you, will try that now.

No worries. It might be useful for anyone less familiar with the process than I am. I must admit, I was going to force overwrite all as a last resort, but your solution is a little less time consuming.

I can also confirm it worked! Thanks!

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol ya I'm going to wait until this bug storm blows over to update. XD

Reaction score
    Still seem to be having power issues on the public server I play on. Our station gets to 100% charge then drops to 0. All our decent sized ships are experiencing the same issues. Making it terribly difficult to do anything.