StarMade v0.199.357 - Texture Update

Reaction score
    overall satsfied of the change! Everything became much cooler to see!

...Except for the crystal. The crystal lost its former crystal-ness. I really loved the old crystal texture.

Reaction score
    the crystal became more cloudy. The old crystal had more depth and felt transparent (which we know they arent).

sky in ship/station was already possible with ice and lightings. I do not know why they are all turned into this foggy thing. It no longer feels like a beautiful block of crystal.

This is the old picture

New one

Was this necessary?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    the crystal became more cloudy. The old crystal had more depth and felt transparent (which we know they arent).

sky in ship/station was already possible with ice and lightings. I do not know why they are all turned into this foggy thing. It no longer feels like a beautiful block of crystal.

Was this necessary?
    I'll let the community answer this one, they pushed hard for a change in this direction. ^^'

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Kupu this update looks great, spent a whole evening just goofing around looking at the new textures , only thing unliked is astrotech module doesn't have the "galaxy" graphic anymore so will have to find a substitute.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

This is the old picture

New one

Was this necessary?
    The issue with the old crystals was that they did not look good when placed in groups. Many builders expressed a desire to have a solid, glowing coloured material for their ships, and so it was changed so that it would work that way. They might not look quite as nice as single blocks now, but they definitely work better in groups.

Reactions: Theats and Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    lovely changes. much better, i can use system blocks for decor without cringing a little. BTW whats new with sabers 3d work. anything shaking over there..

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A contrast increase (with a corresponding saturation decrease) may help, though that may also increase the appearance of the repeating pattern of light/dark areas that is now more apparent with the seamless texture. (I experimented with adding an emissive map based on the white crystal texture, which helped restore depth in shadowed areas. This essentially increased the rendered contrast.)

I also enjoyed the visual depth and didn't mind the beveled edges (which I think helped contribute to the crystalline appearance). Maybe kupu will be able to tweak the crystals further as more feedback comes in from folks who requested this change.

Reaction score
    Okay, lets just add a "single crystal block" that retains the old block texture. Just like the asteroid terrain blocks, crystals should be "carved/purified".

(this "single" means literally a monocrystal, something like this)
    or

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    shh,they are perfect now!
    Ray shield hangar doors,blue/red/etc sky in ships/stations now possible!
    Water worlds, or at least moons or stations are now possible to. ;)
    [doublepost=1483345560,1483344953][/doublepost]Wow, I just took a look at the demo of these textures. They are stunning!
    So many ideas coming to me now. :)
    [doublepost=1483345630][/doublepost]Can't wait to see what you do with LoD objects.

Reaction score
    is there a setting I'm missing for the display module? Every time I leave a section of my ship, all the screens go gray. I have to fly away and come back to get them to come back on.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    is there a setting I'm missing for the display module? Every time I leave a section of my ship, all the screens go gray. I have to fly away and come back to get them to come back on.
    Could you start a thread in Game Support and upload your logs and graphicslog.txt from the logs folder? We can try to help you trouble shoot there.

Reaction score
    moin kinnings,

entschuldigt bitte, dass ich in erster line auf deutsch schreibe.

Vom aktuellen Texturupdate hatte ich mir mehr erhofft.
    Zum einen, dass Logikblöcke für die AND- und OR-Gatter ein verständlicheres Symbol bekommen und zum anderen dass Blöcke die für optische Effekte genutzt werden, nicht derart gravierend verändert werden.

Logikblöcke (AND/OR)
    • die symbole/blöcke sehen sich zum verwechseln ähnlich
    • sind nicht trival zu erkennen
    • hinzu kommt, dass es sich hierbei um die völlig veraltete ANSI/IEEE Darstellung dieser Logik-Gatter handelt (DIN EN ISO lassen grüßen)
    Styleblöcke (Ingot/Crystal)
    • sehen inzwischen mit dem update richtig dreckig und herunterge kommen aus
    • einige Teile meiner Schiffe (Triebwerksdesign) sehen jetzt entschrechent richtig mistig aus
    Das Leuchten im Dunkeln find ich eine grundsätzlich tolle Idee, denn: "im Dunkeln ist gut munkeln".
    Schade nur, dass man sich an ein faktisch neues Design der Fuktionsblöcke gewöhnen muss. Was zur folge hat, dass Designs -Räume mit diesen Blöcken über den haufen geworfen werden - Thruster-Kochplatte lässt grüßen.

Eine~zwei Bitten hab ich noch
    Trigger Area und Cargo Space (leer)
    • sehen immer noch identisch aus
    Trigger Step On und Randomizer
    • zumindest den Triger Step On grün machen
    Zum Schluss noch die Frage: Was ist ein Blueprint Empty Block?

===========================================================================

Hi little citizens,

that's translation (with help of goo...-translator) of the german post on the top

From the actual Texturupdate I had hoped more.
    On the one hand, logic blocks for the AND and OR gates get a more understandable symbol and, on the other hand, blocks that are used for optical effects are not changed so significantly.

Logic blocks (AND / OR)
    • The symbols / blocks look similar to each other
    • Are not trivalable
    • In addition, this is the completely outdated ANSI / IEEE representation of these logic gates (DIN EN ISO leave greetings)
    Styleb locks - (Ingot / Crystal)
    • Look meanwhile with the update properly dirty and drowned out
    • Some parts of my ships (thruster design) now look quite distracted
    The glowing in the dark I find a fundamentally great idea, because: "in the dark is good rumbling".
    Too bad, that you have to get used to a new design of the function blocks. As a result, Designs-Rooms are thrown over these heaps - thruster-cooking-plate lets greet.

I have one~two more petitions
    Trigger Area and Cargo Space (empty)
    • Still look the same
    Trigger Step On and Randomizer
    • At least make the Triger Step On green
    Finally, one question: What is a Blueprint Empty Block?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Zum Schluss noch die Frage: Was ist ein Blueprint Empty Block?
    That block is a placeholder for something that isn't implemented the game yet... You are not supposed to be able to see it yet, but for some reason the block configuration file allows us to see it. It is basically a glitch.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    "in the dark is good rumbling"
    Apologies, I know this is a translation error and I do not mean to make fun of your language skills but, this sounds like you're saying farts are better with the lights turned off :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    So its been awhile since ive been able to update, and i just did...but now Tab F8 doesnt teleport me into ships, i dont see its remove in the patch notes, am i perhaps missing something?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So its been awhile since ive been able to update, and i just did...but now Tab F8 doesnt teleport me into ships, i dont see its remove in the patch notes, am i perhaps missing something?
    F1-F8.

All TAB-commands are now F1-commands.