STARMADE V0.19590 - FLEETS AND CARRIERS

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Welp, my general purpose titan I'm building just turned into a carrier!

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    "Option to only allow factioned ships (of your own faction) to be added to your fleet, servers probably want to put this on true to prevent ship theft.

• ONLY_ALLOW_FACTION_SHIPS_ADDED_TO_FLEET = false"
    This should really be made the default.

"Idle: This is the default state. Ships in this fleet will neither move on their own nor attack. In the event of a server restart, fleets will automatically revert to this order. (In the future, the last fleet order will be saved.)"

I really hope this is in the next update. PLEASE be in the next update, or fleets will not be that useful.
    It's not true on default for SP users, could be confusing for those that don't have a faction (you don't really need one in SP).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have successfully launched and landed an AI fighter on my carrier(landing is super buggy, but it will land eventually). I have flown my carrier around while not entered into the ship core using fleet commands. The AI needs a lot of work, collision detection is terrible, pathfinding is terrible. But it worked! Totally can't wait for future improvements. This is going to be awesome.

Btw, landing manually on a carrier now is fun and much simpler. Many thanks for that, and being able to launch with momentum.

Edit:
    Just one question after I've seen the video about the update: Are the shootout rails compatible with rail speed enhancers? :D
    Yes, yes they are. Though I didn't notice if they impart any more exit velocity than without. From a standstill, without, I was getting 10-15m/s on launch I believe.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The new carrier system is the best part of this update personally, we can get actual launch tubes! Although how much momentum does this rail give you, does anyone know?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The new carrier system is the best part of this update personally, we can get actual launch tubes! Although how much momentum does this rail give you, does anyone know?
    It's only 25m/s for them with a speed controller putting it up to max speed, which is, well... incredibly disappointing. I was hoping to make warhead guns.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I love Starmade, it's my favorite game... but when using the sentry fleet command, sometimes my ships just stand there and don't fight back because their engagement range is too small. Also, in sentry mode, if one member gets attacked other members that are idle should go hostile when a fleet member is hit, but they don't.

My grumpy cat heads with Beam/Cannon laser eyes are dieing.

Is the sentry command not fully functional yet?

I was trying to make the AI fight each other, while I watched in my cloaked stick ship.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I believe Raiben already tested this and proved it true. He used logic to fill up launch rails as the drones landed on the same pickup area. It was on his latest livestream.
    I did some cool tricks with these rails already... I really need to do a video as I learned a lot of things about rails I never knew.

Okay, that's awesome, and I'll look into it, but why do the non physical pickup blocks take up space? Currently it seems we can't have our pickup rails on the actual decks of our carriers, only one block above them. What's more, it's impossible to use pickup rails to connect to an actual rail docker that is flush with our carrier decks.
    It's not impossible, there are ways to do this that you may not have thought of. ;)

Reactions: flpsantoss

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Is there an option to create faction fleets? I feel that having only personal fleets will wreak havoc on factions.

But I've never been in a faction, so I've not got much experience with them.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Okay, that's awesome, and I'll look into it, but why do the non physical pickup blocks take up space? Currently it seems we can't have our pickup rails on the actual decks of our carriers, only one block above them. What's more, it's impossible to use pickup rails to connect to an actual rail docker that is flush with our carrier decks.
    It's not that they take up a physical space, it's that they take up a data space, otherwise they wouldn't be blocks. You can't have two block data units in space allocated for a single one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Is there an option to create faction fleets? I feel that having only personal fleets will wreak havoc on factions.

But I've never been in a faction, so I've not got much experience with them.
    I do a 3 player faction with my niece and nephew over lan. And I would enjoy this option very much. Maybe add some kind of checkbox for whether a fleet is personal or faction accessable.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nice update I am yet to fully test the fleets and AI crew, AI crew is looking good so far though, but alas my frame rates seem much lower and screen movement is not as smooth as it was, power regen seems nerfed and none of my anti missile turrets are working (edit: all myturrets are being weird, ship and station alike.) and once more still no working pirate waves. Which I guess means universe simulation is still broken also?
    I've not experienced any of these issues except for the weird jittery AI movement which may or may not be easily fixable; power regen is working fine and Schine was showing a fleet attack on a pirate station which definitely resulted in pirate waves spawning.

Also when are the in game stations being updated to rails?
    Criss is working on revamping all those stations, including moving them over to the rail system and adding wedges, but also finishing up interiors and cleaning things up a bit, plus making the hulls fit the themes of the new, solidified AI faction styles. They will most likely not be in until the AI faction update(s). Maybe sooner, IDK. It would've been a bit silly to go through and update everything to rails (and add missing wedges), then have to update everything AGAIN for the faction update.

but..where is the mining command?
    There isn't, yet. That will be added later; putting all of the features in at once would've taken unreasonably long for one update and it may be that Schine is changing focus a bit to the crew side of the AI stuff for now. The mining command will probably come along with the out-of-sector combat simulation, as they're both systems that have to do with simulating activities without actually loading sectors.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    In case you were wondering what method I used to keep my docks flush with the floor while still getting full use of the new pickup rails

I cover it in this video:

Reactions: flpsantoss
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What's annoying to me is that if you have your ship as a part of the ship you can't control the ship and have no power over anything in it if using the defend/attack
    EG I'm in a ship core of one of the ships in my fleet.
    The fleet is set to attack sector 2.3.4. The fleet moves, even my ship, and I can't move or change course. They attack. The fleet attacks and I have no control over my own ship, except for jump drive, which then impulse engines back to the fight.
    I just wish that fleet ships with another person in the core had fleet waypoints or maybe a dialog box with the current command but if a player was in command of the fleet, the player had control over the ship they were in.
    Though this may be possible and I just don't know how.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    found a bug

:D

my healing beam is black
    Could we get a bit more information on this one please?

Are you still experiencing this? Are you using any custom textures or effects? Are you in deep void space or the tutorial sector? Do you have emissive maps on or off? Have you tried redownloading the game or deleting the texture and repairing to fix corruptions? Are shadows enabled?(starmade/data/models/gear/HealingBeam/)

Here`s what I see:

The first one is the red rail block, second blue, and third green
    Any custom textures / server side texture packs? Do you have emissive / normal maps enabled? What graphics card do you have? Have you tried redownloading the textures to check for corruptions? is this still happening? Have you tried the Pixel pack?

Have you checked the textures themselves to see if they are present? (starmade/data/textures/block/default/256/t002.png)

This is a strange bug which we can't quite explain yet, any more information you can give would help us to try and fix this for you. :)
    Thanks.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    Could we get a bit more information on this one please?

Are you still experiencing this? Are you using any custom textures or effects? Are you in deep void space or the tutorial sector? Do you have emissive maps on or off? Have you tried redownloading the game or deleting the texture and repairing to fix corruptions? Are shadows enabled?(starmade/data/models/gear/HealingBeam/)

Any custom textures / server side texture packs? Do you have emissive / normal maps enabled? What graphics card do you have? Have you tried redownloading the textures to check for corruptions? is this still happening? Have you tried the Pixel pack?

Have you checked the textures themselves to see if they are present? (starmade/data/textures/block/default/256/t002.png)

This is a strange bug which we can't quite explain yet, any more information you can give would help us to try and fix this for you. :)
    Thanks.
    I have nothing custom, made no changes to the map, and have a AMD Radeon graphics card. I did go thru the block editor earlier to see if the blocks were the right color and saw that they were not. Did an options & repair force download & overwrite. Which seemed to have fixed the issue.:D

Thanks for your reply

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Can finally get some good drone warfare going on!!!

It is nice thing

But still it is not useful
    Unless you are on 100+ player server,and have 80 ships XDD
    For noobs like me,it is good for nothing
    Fleet ships are AI controlled...

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Can finally get some good drone warfare going on!!!

Fleet ships are AI controlled...
    And what ? Why would I need AI fleet on Build Server ?