1. 15th of October, 2019: SMD is currently under maintenance, the site may go down while we are working on it. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    2. We've removed some functionality from SMD in preparation for a migration to new forum software.

StarMade v0.19549 Faction Permissions, Player Protection, Streamlining, and Fixes

Discussion in 'Game News' started by schema, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Criss

Criss Social Media Director

It was not intended to replace keybinds if the keybind config was already there. Consider it a bug.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. TomW1605

a question for the devs (going to tag all the ones that have posted in this thread as i don't know what ones this relates to: Criss, Lancake, Bench) is this likely to happen?
      --- Updated post (merge), Jan 17, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 17, 2016 ---
      would it work to get around this bug to copy our current keybind config file to the desktop before we update and replace the new one with the old one after the update?

3. Bench

Bench Creative Director

Not for quite a while, it's a limitation of some of the mechanics and would require a rework of the permission block systems and the way C/V linking handles its data.

4. Ithirahad

Ithirahad Arana'Aethi

DAMN! C/V linking would make the permissions a lot more usable. ATM adding proper rank permissions to everything would have screwed up half my designs and devices, and so I just had to set the homebase back to having permission for everyone in the faction.

5. Bench

Bench Creative Director

Agreed, and we did discuss the possibility of adding it, however hit the data flow roadblock that would require a bunch of going and changing how existing systems work to make it viable. It's a similar data flow issue that is also one of the roadblocks preventing logic gates being able to control gravity modules. The current system was optimized in the manner it is to allow for minimal network bandwidth usage especially as it applies to large logic systems at the moment (which still takes a while for massive logic systems to all load up and calculate the connections). So it's bigger than just a simple change, hence why it's still the way it is.

• Informative Informative x 2
    6. TomW1605

is it possibly going to happen in the future?

7. Bench

Bench Creative Director

Not ruling it out

8. Ithirahad

Ithirahad Arana'Aethi

I'm guessing that all the link networks will need dynamic optimization to determine how much data has to be passed for any given connection or set thereof?

9. AssIn9

Testing using a small ship with faction module set to 1, added a faction permission module adjacent to the core. Other faction members cannot access the core.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Lone_Puppy

Lone_Puppy Me, myself and I.

I don't have a problem with new bindings. I only have an issue with when I'm in flight mode and I roll left, I suddenly find myself in build mode. Not fun when I'm in battle or manoeuvring.

Are there other keys assigned to rolling left/right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. NTIMESc

Default flight controls for a new install are Q/E to rotate ship and Space/LCtrl to move ship up and down. Z is build/flight mode and X does nothing in flight mode. As they said, overwriting your config was not intended.

#51 NTIMESc, Jan 17, 2016
      Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    12. Lone_Puppy

Thanks NTIMESc. I'm not concerned or worried about my config being overwritten. I just wanted to know the new key binds so I can start using them. Maybe I didn't look hard enough on the key list.

Now I can get back into it. :)

13. NTIMESc

Well, if you didn't have a new install, your config was most likely merged with the new keys, like mine was. I also had Z rolling and changing ship mode, but Q/E was still down/up. I had to just rebind the keys, setting build mode back to NUMPADENTER where I like it.

14. Valck

Nope, tried it.
      My workaround was sorting both old and new keyboard.cfg and diffing them so I could have a nice list of changes, and then manually replacing the changed key bindings with my previous ones, after launching and exiting the new version once to get the changes. I didn't look into automating it since there were changes in the key binding names too ('break' has become 'brake' at last, triple huzzah!)
      StarMade doesn't care what order the settings in keyboard.cfg are, however it does rewrite them in its own sequence, so any sorting is only temporary.

#54 Valck, Jan 17, 2016
      Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    15. Criss

Criss Social Media Director

The new defaults are Q and E.

16. Lone_Puppy

Thanks Criss. NTIMESc mentioned the new bindings to. I'll create a completely new install so I can start to adapt to the changes.

17. alterintel

alterintel moderator

So hate to be the party pooper, but what happened to shared thrust? I have two new ships which got killed with this update. One ship went from 8K of thrust down to 300 thrust, and the other went from 5K thrust to 1.2K.

What gives?

18. godmars

beforehand docked thrust was independent of the main ships thrust. it basically took the thrust of the dock and then just added it to the main ship. so you could get a higher thrust after a certain point with docks(this was considered an exploit). with the new update the thrust you get from docks takes into account the thrust that's already on the main ship

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. alterintel

alterintel moderator

So can somebody give me a very basic understanding of how it works now? How is the thrust from the mother ship accounted for in the new system? Also it seems rather odd, that it wasn't in the release notes. Makes me think that the result is possibly unintended and due to change .... again?

Thanks

20. godmars

i went and double checked on a whim and it looks like you get less thrust from docks now than just sticking the thrust on the main ship. as far as i know previous value was not intended, no idea if its supposed to be like this though.

1.2 mass with 4 thrusters on mothership and 4 on dock, 2 cores and 2 dockers: 15.7 thrust

1.0 mass with 8 thrusters on the mothership, 2 cores and 2 dockers at 20.2 thrust

..so it looks like there might have been a mistake

• Agree Agree x 1