StarMade v0.19318 New Explosions, Tools, and Bug Fixes

Reaction score
    It appears as if there is no up-to-date file at http://files.star-made.org/build/, but when you point your user agent at http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20150711_191815.zip (guessing from what the java starter fetches), the file is indeed found and starts to download.
    The directories http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_x_y/ are 403 forbidden though.

Seems like the directory indexing function is broken, with the last available version listed as starmade-build_20150621_023107.
    Also http://files.star-made.org/build/list.php throws a 404.
    Someone might want to look into this.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    It appears as if there is no up-to-date file at http://files.star-made.org/build/, but when you point your user agent at http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20150711_191815.zip (guessing from what the java starter fetches), the file is indeed found and starts to download.
    The directories http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_x_y/ are 403 forbidden though.

Seems like the directory indexing function is broken, with the last available version listed as starmade-build_20150621_023107.
    that site is no longer being used as we can now switch to dev builds directly from the launcher

Reaction score
    Noticed a few problems related to beams and missiles.
    Linking more than one beam group to a computer and firing it seems to "take" all of my ships power (2.6bn, tested with 2 groups of 50k modules each with 2 groups of 50k slaved beam modules). Now I say "take" because I'm not entirely sure whether the power is actually used or if the client just becomes desynched from the server, but the burst time lasts only one damage tick of the beam out of the normal 5 and then the power capacity of the ship drops to zero and the beams stop firing.
    The numbers as calculated by StarCalc (and by using the config to manually calculate the power usage) are 150mil per weapon per second however the in-game structure stats say each one uses over 15bn.
    http://gyazo.com/680d749cab20b39aa36563ca244dfbbc
    Screenshot of StarCalc

http://gyazo.com/abb6045a14360b94e865e0753bfec7bb
    Screenshot of in-game structure

As for missiles (specifically missiles slaved with missiles) compared to pre-patch do barely any damage to structure HP at all. This was tested with a similar setup to the beams (50k master + 50k slave, also with 50k explosive effect modules) and small pirates (500 mass or so) taking 5 or more missile hits did not do significant damage to the structure HP of the pirate. Shields of the pirate dropped, armour took quite a bit of damage yet structure HP did not take damage that felt consistent with the damage dealt to the armour and shields with that amount of missile modules.

Hope you get something from all this

Reaction score
    that site is no longer being used as we can now switch to dev builds directly from the launcher
    That's a pity, as it ties you to the launcher. Now there's nothing wrong with that for most people, but some of us (well, at least one of us ;p ) just love to maintain their own wrapper scripts.
    Considering the launcher doesn't do anything different in pulling the update from that directory, what's the point in obfuscating it? Does having Apache simply serve the directory index take so much of a maintenance effort?

Reaction score
    K10wN From Mikeland server has brought up an interesting find we didn't catch after reading his post, it would seem that new blueprints saved onto the server are set as enemy use. This is something that needs to be addressed soon.

Reaction score
    Noticed a few problems related to beams and missiles.
    Linking more than one beam group to a computer and firing it seems to "take" all of my ships power (2.6bn, tested with 2 groups of 50k modules each with 2 groups of 50k slaved beam modules). Now I say "take" because I'm not entirely sure whether the power is actually used or if the client just becomes desynched from the server, but the burst time lasts only one damage tick of the beam out of the normal 5 and then the power capacity of the ship drops to zero and the beams stop firing.
    The numbers as calculated by StarCalc (and by using the config to manually calculate the power usage) are 150mil per weapon per second however the in-game structure stats say each one uses over 15bn.
    http://gyazo.com/680d749cab20b39aa36563ca244dfbbc
    Screenshot of StarCalc

http://gyazo.com/abb6045a14360b94e865e0753bfec7bb
    Screenshot of in-game structure

As for missiles (specifically missiles slaved with missiles) compared to pre-patch do barely any damage to structure HP at all. This was tested with a similar setup to the beams (50k master + 50k slave, also with 50k explosive effect modules) and small pirates (500 mass or so) taking 5 or more missile hits did not do significant damage to the structure HP of the pirate. Shields of the pirate dropped, armour took quite a bit of damage yet structure HP did not take damage that felt consistent with the damage dealt to the armour and shields with that amount of missile modules.

Hope you get something from all this
    Confirming that the power is not taken from power capacity when the beams are fired on server side, however client side power is completely drained from the ship in question.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    it will add mass and increase your max armor HP (Not your current) but unless your ship is really small then i don't think its going to be a big problem
    No it won't. It'll just increase mass, in order to increase the max HP you need to reboot, which you're not going to do mid fight.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Has anyone else's weapon power consumption jumped by 20x?
    Sounds like it was because of this bug fix "T367 group power penalty does not work for most weapons"
    Unfortunately that's my fault. I only did a quick check for these and only checked it for the default weapons (no slave/support).

If a beam computer has more than 1 group and it's linked to a slave/support. You'll experience a huge increase in power consumption. This will be fixed asap.

Reactions: jzimmerman4
    Reaction score
    Unfortunately that's my fault. I only did a quick check for these and only checked it for the default weapons (no slave/support).

If a beam computer has more than 1 group and it's linked to a slave/support. You'll experience a huge increase in power consumption. This will be fixed asap.
    I spent the last several hours testing the Damage Beam, Missiles, and Cannons (the weapons I use on a normal basis) to find out how to minimize the now enormous power drain on my fighters. While testing, I came across several interesting items that I'd like to share.
    While looking at the damage beam, I found that each block deals 50 DPS and power consumption is calculated by multiplying the DPS x 10. (We probably already knew that part). If more than one array is present, a four percent power consumption penalty is applied per additional array (4 arrays = 12% penalty). A larger penalty comes into play while slaving another computer to the damage beam. A cannon computer, for example, is slaved to the damage beam computer to increase recharge. Every guide I've read has said that the two damages will stack, but this is not the case. It actually takes the damage beam DPS and subtracts the cannon DPS per array. The more cannons, the lower the DPS. With only one damage beam array, and one slaved cannon array of equal size, the power consumption is calculated by multiplying the DPS x 10. Using two arrays, both of equal size, and equal size slaves, the Cannon DPS is subtracted from the beam DPS, and then that value is cut in half. The DPS is then multiplied by more than 1000 to come up with a power consumption. That is 1000 per additional array. For three arrays, that would be 2000, and so on. It appears as though that number scales with the ratio of cannons slaved to damage beams.

Cannons are quite different from the damage beams. Each cannon block deals 10 DPS, and power consumption is calculated by multiplying the DPS x 10. For each additional array, a ten percent per array penalty is applied to the power consumption. It gets really strange when the damage beam computer is slaved to the cannon computer. For one array, I have no earthly idea how the DPS is calculated, but the DPS is multiplied by 12 to get the power consumption. Adding a second beam slave array and a second cannon array doubles the DPS and doubles the power consumption. So far so good. Adding a third array to both computers only raised the DPS another 2/3 rather than doubling. A fourth array to both computers does nothing to the DPS, but does raise the power consumption 8% more, indicating the cannon-beam relationship approaches a point of diminishing returns.

Now comes our friend the missile. The missile deals 300 DPS per block and power consumption is calculated by multiplying the DPS x 5 (the other two are x 10?). For each additional array, a ten percent penalty is applied to the power consumption. If a damage beam of equal size is slaved to the missile, the DPS increases by 600 percent. This number also appears to roughly scale with the ratio of slave beams to missiles. Power consumption also scales roughly. When a cannon computer is slaved to the missile computer, the DPS seems to drop exponentially as the ratio of cannons to missiles increases. Power consumption is calculated by multiplying DPS x 6 (was 5 for beams) and there does not appear to be a power consumption penalty for multiple arrays.

Those are rather large penalties. I haven't checked any of the other weapons, I don't use any others, but it would seem that using the beam as master or slave has some pretty interesting effects. I appreciate the time it took to read all this babble. I hope it helps someone.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    No it won't. It'll just increase mass, in order to increase the max HP you need to reboot, which you're not going to do mid fight.
    unless it changed recently I'm pretty sure that adding blocks in combat both increases mass and Max HP but does nothing for your current HP.
    (explains it at 1:03)

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    unless it changed recently I'm pretty sure that adding blocks in combat both increases mass and Max HP but does nothing for your current HP.
    (explains it at 1:03)
    Oh, so it is, my bad. But you'd have to find them in order to set up such a wall.

Reaction score
    I noticed that i have now issues with the power consumption of my beam weapons. A simple damage beam(with 100% Cannon slave, fires only 2 beams) with around 10k dmg per tick needs now 490 Million energy.
    Any idea why this is suddenly that power hungry?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I noticed that i have now issues with the power consumption of my beam weapons. A simple damage beam(with 100% Cannon slave, fires only 2 beams) with around 10k dmg per tick needs now 490 Million energy.
    Any idea why this is suddenly that power hungry?
    Miscalculation when there is a slaved system attached to the beam and you have more than 1 outputs. I really hope this gets fixed ASAP. I need to be able to use my stop beams since I play on a server with newtonian physics (no slowing down) and I need to stop the smoldering remains of my victims in order to salvage them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Cool :)

Now can we get a server option that permanently activates the build inhibiter server wide unless your docked to a structure? :D

(( shipyard precursor?))

The build inhibitor is a nice step but won't keep people from being trapped in 50x50x50 cubes of hull or having to cut through them. The only way to make it viable and fun is to totally level the field.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Now can we get a server option that permanently activates the build inhibiter server wide unless your docked to a structure? :D
    You know, if they have this programmed in, I shouldn't think it would be to hard to reverse it. Say a Faction Housing Block that lets you build in 32m sphere on a faction station? Maybe I should write a suggestion.

Reaction score
    I love how explosions look now, they are much better. Also, I am still unclear what's going on if you fire a focused rockets into an asteroid for example. The explosion hole which is made by firing focused 2 missiles is as big as I fire one missile in unfocused mode. The damage should be doubled for focused fire, for every weapon.. In the real world - in the point where the focus is, the damage is the biggest, right ? I mean - there's even a message saying that focused firing is weaker o_O

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This update also has broken "Autocannons". These are turrets that are mounted to your ship in such a way as to remain in a fixed direction, without the ability to rotate. Prior to this update, such cannons would fire upon your selected target so long as you were pointed towards that target's core. Now they will not fire at all, no matter where you point, or what you set them to.

Autocannons that are mounted onto free-moving turrets, likewise no longer fire.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, since they reduced the cone of fire to 1 degree; you now need to use actual turrets for everything. Kind of stupid, IMO. The change should probably only apply to turrets, not fixed-docked entities.

EDIT: That said. IDK if that's the issue involved or not...

Reaction score
    Careful, I got told off for remarking that the build files aren't visible there yet...