StarMade v0.18999 - Some serious optimizations and balance changes

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

A very special update has just been uploaded. It increases graphics (almost doubled) and network performance (down to 10% load on average) greatly, as well as some changes to the balance.

Here are the full news: http://star-made.org/news/starmade-v0-8999-some-serious-optimizations-and-balance-changes

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema and the schine team
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425258859,1425258795][/DOUBLEPOST]Please be sure you have occlusion culling off to benefit from the graphics improvements. The improvements might also vary by hardware, but testing reports were overwhelmingly positive

Reaction score
    This sounds extremely good!
    (and i just tested it... it works!)

...demand something special:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Woooh, update!

...shouldn't it be .18999?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    My only problem with this update is that it makes Cannon/Beam Railguns non-existent now, due to the cap at 7 blocks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Those forcefields are really cool, as well as a huge thank's for the optimisation again! :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Well, under an hour from the update, there is a huge problem:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    What's the problem here?
    Honestly, I don't know. One moment it was a collage of slender lines, and now, they are still there but fragmented when you zoom out. Wasn't happening before the update, and my view distance was set at 1500.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425262554,1425262200][/DOUBLEPOST]I turned VBO Bulk mode to 1 mb, and this is what it gives me. The first picture is with 4 mb.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Can confirm:

With Occulsion Culling off, I went from 15 FPS while looking at any ship over 150k mass to 45.

Hell yes.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425263067,1425262995][/DOUBLEPOST]
    My only problem with this update is that it makes Cannon/Beam Railguns non-existent now, due to the cap at 7 blocks.
    You still need them for anti-shield capabilities. Beams will be much better for turrets now, methinks.

Reaction score
    kupu schema One minor-ish problem I use Ice for color decoration due to its effect with lights. However.... the ice has been magically turned into wood with kitty powers. Any way we can fix it D:

Reaction score
    That sounds like an immense work done, enabling ENORMOUS ships to be constructed. In case this all really works, we gonna all see the Age of New Titans, like 4 km long each, or even more, because of that traffic compression. Seriously, 14Kb out of 2,8 Mb... That is an excellent optimisation. Thank u a lot, guys.

I always knew, that AA builds it's ships from wood, that's why they burn so fiercely...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I can see a great increase in FPS overall, but unfortunately it still crawls to a halt around planets with the same FPS I was getting before (20~25ish). Can't be helped I guess, it's more likely than not my hardware. Great update overall.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    kupu schema One minor-ish problem I use Ice for color decoration due to its effect with lights. However.... the ice has been magically turned into wood with kitty powers. Any way we can fix it D:
    Please for the love of Starmade, this needs to be fixed, all of my ship engines have turned into foliage!

I don't want to make it seem like this is a huge deal, but it is for those of us who designed our engines very meticulously around ice blocks. The way they capture light, and the way that different levels of thickness/lighting change the color is irreplaceable in designing engines.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Please for the love of Starmade, this needs to be fixed, all of my ship engines have turned into foliage!
    Sounds like you just got... Shrubbed.

...Yeah, this will probably be solved in a hotfix. Shouldn't be that long.