StarMade Surprise Update

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    So basically, in addition to making us wait longer between announcements and updates and while the entire community is on hold because of the power update idiocy, these clowns make what is supposedly some major announcement about planets, (which many of us avoid like the plague, because that is exactly what they are to our framerates) then f**king hide it behind some unbelievably incomprehensible techie riddle?

Are you f**king kidding me?! This isn't clever, it's vastly irritating.

Put up or shut up. Show us or don't. But if you think I'm digging through your game's ID files for a password you have given utterly useless hints to just to appreciate your work, you can get f**ked. I do not consider it even close to worth the effort.

Some of us are here for the purpose of obtaining information about your game, not to have games played with us.
    someone's new here

Reaction score
    So basically, in addition to making us wait longer between announcements and updates and while the entire community is on hold because of the power update idiocy, these clowns make what is supposedly some major announcement about planets, (which many of us avoid like the plague, because that is exactly what they are to our framerates) then f**king hide it behind some unbelievably incomprehensible techie riddle?

Put up or shut up. Show us or don't. But if you think I'm digging through your game's ID files for a password you have given utterly useless hints to just to appreciate your work, you can get f**ked. I do not consider it even close to worth the effort.

Some of us are here for the purpose of obtaining information about your game, not to have games played with us.

Please, do us all a favour.

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    haha, this was awesome, great fun figuring this out.

I got worried for a second at first because I decoded it all but accidentally replaced the 2 with a 1, but that got fixed quick.

Looking forward to seeing some more

Reaction score
    Really can't be arsed with puzzles that waste my time, can someone pm (private message) me to passwords plz.

Also "can you ID me" is a pretty rubbish hint.

Reaction score
    Hypothetical query: perhaps the people that don't get the clue due to an abscence during the period of time when block IDs were a common discussion? I've noticed that over the last year or so it hasn't been brought up much anymore.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Hypothetical query: perhaps the people that don't get the clue due to an abscence during the period of time when block IDs were a common discussion? I've noticed that over the last year or so it hasn't been brought up much anymore.
    That's because we introduced creative mode. The need to type in id's is obsolete.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Now that april fools is over, we've added the result and answer to the post. If you still want to figure out the password, don't open those spoilers :)

Reaction score
    oh wow. are you guys going to use the same planet techinque now that the guys over at the ECO game are using? I have no idea whatsoever how they manage to pull this off with bricks.
    Reference:

Reaction score
    oh wow. are you guys going to use the same planet techinque now that the guys over at the ECO game are using? I have no idea whatsoever how they manage to pull this off with bricks.
    Reference:
    From what I know of Eco, admittedly not a lot, it's a planet based game, where all gameplay content occurs on a single planet. There's no reason for it to be interactable or truly spherical externally, so it doesn't need to take that into account. What you're seeing in that image is the world wrapped around a non-interactable sphere, which is quite easy to do, it was done in StarMade for demo purposes:

This is explained in a 2013 post by schema StarMade dev update: why spherical planets don't fit in a block world

There are ways to address the issues mentioned in that thread, like Seeds of Andromeda have done. However, this is vastly complex, incredibly resource intensive and it's still not perfect. It's not clear whether the approach they have taken supports seamless interaction from space. There are still issues with ground to orbit, and weird distortion effects. You'll find that the SoA devs have abandoned development on that game indefinitely. SoA is a multi planet based game, so it makes a lot of sense for them to spend all that time on planet to space transitions. Ships in StarMade need to to be able to directly interact with planets, not just enter atmosphere, but fire missiles, salvage beams, lasers etc. Hard to get right with the SoA approach (whether it's possible at all).

I don't know what system StarMade is using in that gif. However, I do know, that whatever they use, it's certainly not the same system as ECO, and highly unlikely it's the SoA approach.

My best guess would be warping the plates to look spherical, if the planets are large enough, the plates will be big enough for the "cracks" between them to be less noticeable from space. Additionally, you wouldn't notice on the surface until you came to the plate edges. If they had a nice transition animation between plates, it'd be quite an interesting experience. Whatever system they use, as long as it doesn't kill my frames, I'm happy :)

Reaction score
    It's not that awesome, just an image of a big and really pretty surface :(
    We can't see what's underneath the surface or the shape of the planet, which is the most important thing at least for me.
    What is really impressive is people solving the password with just that hint and the curssive block names.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    It's not that awesome, just an image of a big and really pretty surface :(
    We can't see what's underneath the surface or the shape of the planet, which is the most important thing at least for me.
    What is really impressive is people solving the password with just that hint and the curssive block names.
    Did you see those coders from Schine? They've got curved horizons. Curved. Horizons.

Reactions: Mordrin
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    so...is this part of the april fools thing as well? or is this how planets are going to look soon'tm?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, I've got to say, comparing the picture of the one-block... "planet"... in the OP to this gif, I'd guess that the gif is of a real planned feature? It'd be a pretty cruel joke if this beautiful terrain was part of april fools as well. :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

Bro, do us all a favour. If you see ANYTHING posted on april first as a supposed "Announcement" or "Policy Change" or ANYTHING official, assume it's a joke.

Or, have a bit less 11 in your diet.

Also, you don't need to look through the game files. Wikis exist for a reason.

Secondly, IT'S APRIL FOOLS, MATE. CALM.

Anyone want to guess what 11 is? :P

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    so...is this part of the april fools thing as well? or is this how planets are going to look soon'tm?
    Well, last time we had something planet related for April Fool's, we switched from cookie planets to dodecahedron planets, so I would say the chances of this being real are pretty good.

Reactions: Blodge

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

schema Is this horizon slightly curved or is that just the hill and/or the camera "lens"? It looks kind of curved, but if it's not I'd like that debunked so the hype thrusters don't overload. They're already piping hot from all the pretty stuff.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Bro, do us all a favour. If you see ANYTHING posted on april first as a supposed "Announcement" or "Policy Change" or ANYTHING official, assume it's a joke.

Or, have a bit less 11 in your diet.

Also, you don't need to look through the game files. Wikis exist for a reason.

Secondly, IT'S APRIL FOOLS, MATE. CALM.

Anyone want to guess what 11 is? :P
    Um, you do know the inverse rule applies to Schine, right? Around here, the double subversion is preferred.