Starmade Q&A

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Do the Devs keep tabs on the other space building game in development (*cough* Space Engineers *cough*) and do they then see things being implemented in that and think "that's a good idea... let's pinch it"? :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Do the Devs keep tabs on the other space building game in development (*cough* Space Engineers *cough*) and do they then see things being implemented in that and think "that's a good idea... let's pinch it"? :D
    Every game ever has done that... except for pong...

Reactions: Rissaach
    Reaction score
    the latest build is really getting on my nerves when it comes to performance my gaming PC has 16 teraflops and it cant get 60+ fps in ships over 5m blocks and in the past I could get 60+ fps in ships with over 30m+ blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    the latest build is really getting on my nerves when it comes to performance my gaming PC has 16 teraflops and it cant get 60+ fps in ships over 5m blocks and in the past I could get 60+ fps in ships with over 30m+ blocks.
    I'm sorry, 15 teraflops? There is no way you have that much of anything, let alone RAM... Also, the CPU and/or graphics card could still struggle even if you had that much RAM...

Reaction score
    I'm sorry, 15 teraflops? There is no way you have that much of anything, let alone RAM... Also, the CPU and/or graphics card could still struggle even if you had that much RAM...
    -_- teraflops is not ram its the total processing speed of your PC one flop is one number processed per second 1 gigaflop is 100 billion numbers processed per second and 1 teraflop is 1000 gigaflops and 16 teraflops is 16000 gigaflops also the ps4 only has 3 teraflops lol.

Reaction score
    also your thinking of terabits not teraflops lol.

Reaction score
    woops... I still think you're shitting me...
    no my gaming PC costs $1600 the average PC made in 2014 costs $0.10 for one gigaflop judging by the a average price of PC parts in 2014 and the amount of gigaflops your PC has depends on your PC specs better specs means better performence and better specs costs more so im not sh***ing you lol. also the average gaming PC costs around $500-$1000 and have around 4-10 teraflops.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    no my gaming PC costs $1600 the average PC made in 2014 costs $0.10 for one gigaflop judging by the a average price of PC parts in 2014 and the amount of gigaflops your PC has depends on your PC specs better specs means better performence and better specs costs more so im not sh***ing you lol. also the average gaming PC costs around $500-$1000 and have around 4-10 teraflops.
    Unless you have the equivalent of 100 dual core 2.5 gigahertz processors... you can't have even 1 teraflop... let alone 16...

22SAS_Wimp Ya... if you see a score system it was taken from pong, if it's first person(perspective) then it was yanked from either maze war or spasim(nobody knows which was developed first)...

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    *facepalm* I was being sarcastic. Of course I know that.
    Obviously StarMade is going to take some inspiration from other games - the Devs have even mentioned that the game is inspired by Minecraft and specifically the Faction system was inspired by a Minecraft mod.
    But I didn't ask about whether other games take things from old games or whether StarMade is doing that to existing games... I specified Space Engineers on purpose, because it too is in development and I'm curious to see if the StarMade Devs have seen anything they like in another game in development of a similar design, and if we might see some elements based upon those things.
    For example: it was mentioned that "ship coring won't be a mechanic of destroying a ship in the future" (not an exact quote) and people have been begging for chairs for ages, but in SE the Devs have given their players a control seat cockpit thingy and it might be possible that SM's Devs will take that idea as inspiration to do something similar. Or they might give blocks 3D damage. Or introduce flat glass.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Unless you have the equivalent of 100 dual core 2.5 gigahertz processors... you can't have even 1 teraflop... let alone 16...

22SAS_Wimp Ya... if you see a score system it was taken from pong, if it's first person(perspective) then it was yanked from either maze war or spasim(nobody knows which was developed first)...
    FACEPALM teraflops and gigahertz are two completely different things! and im sick and tired of you saying stuff and don't do the research before and also heres the link to a good wiki article that helps explain what a flop is. link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOPS

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    FACEPALM teraflops and gigahertz are two completely different things! and im sick and tired of you saying stuff and don't do the research before and also heres the link to a good wiki article that helps explain what a flop is. link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOPS
    A dual core 2.5 gigahertz processor can reach a theoretical limit of 10 gigaFlops...

Reaction score
    A dual core 2.5 gigahertz processor can reach a theoretical limit of 10 gigaFlops...
    I have a AMD eight core 4.4 GHZ processer and a nividia GeForce 760 4gb graphics card and 16 gigs of ram aka 16 teraflops lol.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I have a AMD eight core 4.4 GHZ processer and a nividia GeForce 760 4gb graphics card and 16 gigs of ram aka 16 teraflops lol.
    wasn't it you that said that ram was not the same as flops? Also, you have(thanks to that processor) 160 gigaflops...

Reaction score
    wasn't it you that said that ram was not the same as flops? Also, you have(thanks to that processor) 160 gigaflops...
    FACEPALM flops isn't just processers its your graphics card etc as well.

Reaction score
    This is not the place for general discusions, please only comment with questions here, or I'll be forced to lock the thread prematurely and only use the currently listed questions. Thank you.

Reactions: 22SAS_Wimp
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    This is not the place for general discusions, please only comment with questions here, or I'll be forced to lock the thread prematurely and only use the currently listed questions. Thank you.
    apologies.

Reaction score
    Sorry for posting a second question., but...

Will energy ever follow the economic law of scarcity, even as an option for RP servers?

I could see numerous applications for this in the economy.
    • Fuel would need to be mined.
    • That same fuel (i guess a radioactive ore) would need to be refined, this could go in tiers of fuel use or fuel purity.
    • Ships, Stations, Warp gates, all require fuel.
    • Smaller ships and home bases could be powered by solar energy while in a system.
    Just these three things would give you an ample demand of fuel that would lead to the necessity of mining factions
    I seriously doubt that the supply would remain constant so you would need to give admins the ability to adjust the average energy output of one unit of fuel and possibly an expiration date on refined fuel, as to prevent big money players from buying preemptively in hopes of skyrocketing prices only to crash the server economy unleashing a flood of low priced fuel that would make a grown Hayekian cry.

• Running out in deep space leaves you stranded, send out calls for help and hope whoever finds you is a Samaritan at heart
    • A need for mining systems
    • Factions would be forced to take imperialistic resumes to secure hight fuel planets
    • People would have to find a dang job!
    • Jump gates would cost a bit to use.
    • Trade deals any physical moment of products would make piracy more lucrative
    • This would be countered by protection factions "Mafias" Or a server wide police force.
    Just something I thought would be pretty cool for the RP diehards.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arkudo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.