Starmade just got 0wned...

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    so about this game, I am one of the testers of skywanderers so I guess I might be in the best position to talk about this game :)

first, no.
    Starmade is a thousand lightyears ahead for everything except for graphics (and by not much, it is just different with a lot of glowy things)
    no other voxel space sandbox can match starmade building tools and skywanderers is so early in developement that it is of course one of them,
    in fact it has less gameplay mechanics than starmade about 2-3 years ago

but understand that skywanderers WILL be a good game but by design and technical choice (unity) it won't be able to compete with starmade when it comes to big scale, like so much other space sandbox voxel games before him.

also no linux version, wich make it a bit harder for me to test the game...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    no other voxel space sandbox can match starmade building tools and skywanderers is so early in developement that it is of course one of them,
    If you allow custom UIs and LUA to create a build command or queries for existing blocks, this doesn't matter.

A sandbox game isn't good or bad because for what it has, but for what it allows and offers via community content. (Note: SM misses mod-ability and being free software).​

Last edited:

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    i might have an orgasm with avorion but lemme tell ya

NOBODY. NOBODY OWNS STARMADE!

Reaction score
    Starmade has a niche in that no one else copied it's style completely..and it's kind of the father of it. Is there some ideas in sky wanderers I like, yah (22.5 wedging) but standards will get there

AND can people stop complaining about game engines and what a game is coded in. It's utter virtue signalling

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    AND can people stop complaining about game engines and what a game is coded in. It's utter virtue signalling
    I have to agree here.

Maybe unity doesn't allow 10k entities, but what if you could have fun with just 1k because the game mechanics are better?
    Or it doesn't allow a billion of blocks but requires 8 times less of them because of more complex shapes and a smaller scale.​

Reactions: JinM

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9

I have to agree here.

Maybe unity doesn't allow 10k entities, but what if you could have fun with just 1k because the game mechanics are better?
    Or it doesn't allow a billion of blocks but requires 8 times less of them because of more complex shapes and a smaller scale.​
    it's not that it doesn't allow 10k entities it's just that it will have worse performance, you can have an engine that handle millions of entities it doesn't mean that you can't have game mechanics wich make it fun with only 1k entities, it will allow to have a hell lot more room to implement features and systems before the engine start to struggle

also, skywanderers has the same base block scale as Starmade, there are small blocks to allow you to add more details, logic systems are also smaller and weapons aswell

Reaction score
    unity can handle whatever you want it to, because you can use less of its "convenience at the cost of performance" features and basically run it as a framework or IDE for c# if thats what you want. anyway.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    unity can handle whatever you want it to, because you can use less of its "convenience at the cost of performance" features and basically run it as a framework or IDE for c# if thats what you want. anyway.
    Unity has a lot of technical limitations, using an outdated version of mono therefore also using an old garbage collector is one among others
    IDE and framework has no relations whatsoever, there is already an IDE inside of Unity wich is an old version of monodevelop AFAIK.

Zerefette

<|°_°|>
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I gotta say that there are things that I like. That holomap and the almostmegapewpew, also the missile port T_T, that thing was eating an asteroid.
    I like that the mechanism interaction looks much more simplified and perhaps appealing? However the ship destruction is crap also the textures are half good and bad.
    The lighting tricks the eye a lot and honestly it looks too much similar to sm.
    Also it gives the impression of being much more newbie friendly and carefree to me.
    Oh they got compact logic, this does hurt.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alphajim

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    well, well, well... look at this, another Minecraft in space pops out of nowhere and looks to be much farther ahead in development.

...meanwhile, we sit and gnash our teeth debating how to re-invent the wheel of power/reactors... again... Schine, you're looking to a lot of us like you're going nowhere fast. Stop dinking around, and move different directions.
    You stupid or what,Starmade has mutch more and mutch more planed not only starmade is the backbone of this type of game one of the first to be made,no shit that hoes other games will be way ahead but they wont last long or pass satrmade causs they are just copy all the cool futures that starmade has planed that half of the new community does not know(this game might even have evolution,tribes fighting on planets).

Reaction score
    What's wrong with unity? Not an expert in this stuff.
    unity is crap at managing memory by default. a lot can be done to kinda work around this, but most unity developers either dont know or dont care, because theyre hobbyists.

Reaction score
    But Unity is meant to make the life easier for small dev teams, isn't it? But I understand, that if a game wants to compete with Starmade, picking unity might then be (if it has so many flaws) a bottleneck when it comes to large scales - but I am not sure if Skywanderers advertised large scale battles and large planets too...

Reaction score
    unity is crap at managing memory by default. a lot can be done to kinda work around this, but most unity developers either dont know or dont care, because theyre hobbyists.
    Hmm, what do you have to say about java then ?

Reaction score
    Hmm, what do you have to say about java then ?
    what about it? its a lot like unity, fine for stuff that isnt huge on memory... garbage collecting in it blows dicks and hangs and it has probs with casting and types.

you can still "mostly" work around this if you care to and know how to. its hard. probably better to just use c lol

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    what about it? its a lot like unity, fine for stuff that isnt huge on memory... garbage collecting in it blows dicks and hangs and it has probs with casting and types.

you can still "mostly" work around this if you care to and know how to. its hard. probably better to just use c lol
    it properly comes down the the programmer and his or hers understanding of the tools and mem. options.

Unity's problem is that it lowers the entry bar so even more people can make games, some who clearly don't know what they are doing.