Starmade just got 0wned...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The textures are reminiscent of the old Beetlebear textures.

(NEVER AGAAAAIN)
    I used to remember Beetlebear joining in occasionally for the old Captain_Spaulding Thunderdome streams.

Those were a blast. Seem like such a long time ago though.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I thought that spoke volumes on its own tbh
    but didn't want to be the one to point it out lol

u flamer nauv :u

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    My biggest question is: Why would you spell "owned" with a zero?
    It's actually pronounced zerowned.

XD
    [doublepost=1489072435,1489072387][/doublepost]
    I thought that spoke volumes on its own tbh
    but didn't want to be the one to point it out lol

u flamer nauv :u
    It's not nice to call people names, Mr. Azfourteenel.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    At least it wasn't Pwned. That would have been really bad.... :-p

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    you cant own a unique game at its own thing lol thats
    Ok maybe you can...
    But still lol

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The game seems to fall under what I hate most about these Space Voxel Games popping up everywhere (Spengineers, Avorion)
    Prefab Weapons
    If anything kills a game for me, its prefab parts you just stick on your ship. Completely ruins the 'Construction' part of the game.
    Another thing that comes to mind is Starmade, or at least at this point in time is more of a Engineering PvP game than an RP Space Exploration Sandbox.

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    The game seems to fall under what I hate most about these Space Voxel Games popping up everywhere (Spengineers, Avorion)
    Prefab Weapons
    If anything kills a game for me, its prefab parts you just stick on your ship. Completely ruins the 'Construction' part of the game.
    Another thing that comes to mind is Starmade, or at least at this point in time is more of a Engineering PvP game than an RP Space Exploration Sandbox.
    yeah thats the best part about sm (and ftd)

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    Really? Avorions prefab weapons are better then the usual stick ons

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    So is SW just overtly sending people over to crash our forums and try and steal players?? This has been a couple threads in the same week now about how "Starmade got pwned" by a recent Starmade clone (SW) that doesn't even have half the features implemented yet...

That is sad. But in a funny way that reeks of desperation.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Prefab Weapons
    Fuck Prefab Weapons. Even if you have tiers, no. Spend the goddamn time making weapons like schooma did and putting in a ton of effort to balance them, don't take the easy way out.

So is SW just overtly sending people over to crash our forums and try and steal players?? This has been a couple threads in the same week now about how "Starmade got pwned" by a recent Starmade clone (SW) that doesn't even have half the features implemented yet...

That is sad. But in a funny way that reeks of desperation.
    They didn't this happens typically on forums, 1 or more people see the same thing and make threads about it at about the same time.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is nothing fundamentally wrong with prefab weapons. Just that the way they're typically implemented tends to miss a lot of potential the game might have for build diversity, strategy, and design choices. "missile launcher that can load rapid, long-range, or agile missiles" or "beam turret that can run long-range, high-damage, or multi-target focusing lenses" is fine. "You either get missile launchers or projectile guns, and they do what they do" is not.

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There is nothing fundamentally wrong with prefab weapons. Just that the way they're typically implemented tends to miss a lot of potential the game might have for build diversity, strategy, and design choices. "missile launcher that can load rapid, long-range, or agile missiles" or "beam turret that can run long-range, high-damage, or multi-target focusing lenses" is fine. "You either get missile launchers or projectile guns, and they do what they do" is not.
    Having alternate appearances (Color) and Slider Bars effecting damage/firerate/other stats is completely acceptable, but nobody has thought to do this.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Having alternate appearances (Color) and Slider Bars effecting damage/firerate/other stats is completely acceptable, but nobody has thought to do this.
    Actually, before the slaving mechanic, Starmade weapons used to have sliders for damage and fire-rate. But if you are limiting that observation to prefab weapons, right. Unless the sliders were in real-time in the cockpit, a la Freespace and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We get a thread like this every single time a new voxel space sandbox gets revealed. Starmade has more depth and advanced mechanics and allows for comparatively massive ships while still maintaining excellent performance. How well does Space Engineers, or Empyrion, or Avorion, or Skywanderers handle 50,000 block ships? 100,000 block ships? 500,000 block ships? 1,000,000 block ships? How about combat with those ships? How about a fleet battle with a dozen players?

Starmade hasn't been owned by Skywanderers, with its inherently flawed Unity engine choice, and it never will be, because it cannot and will not ever be able to handle the extreme. This is true for every other competitor of Starmade- their focus on fancy graphics and special models for every block are ultimately their downfall.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is true for every other competitor of Starmade- their focus on fancy graphics and special models for every block are ultimately their downfall.
    Exactly.
    Starmade got "owned" so often, that it became immune to be owned by 1-dev/1-year games

But if anyone releases a framework which handles moving object collisions for at least 10'000 entities and 100 million blocks total and all the required networking code magic, peoples might build better stuff which can become truly competitive versus StarMade, depending on mod-ability or source-code documentation/structure.

Because SM has accurate physics which eat performance that other games have an angle of attack here.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    But if anyone releases a framework which handles moving object collisions for at least 10'000 entities and 100 million blocks total
    No one will be releasing anything like that any time soon. Many games that aren't voxel can't even handle 10k entities, let alone a voxel one. It's beyond the scope of the general consumer computing market for at least probably a decade, I would reckon.

Because SM has accurate physics which eat performance
    If by "accurate" you mean "hitboxes line up with the blocks," then use, sure. You can't have a voxel game that doesn't do that without balance concerns out the ass. If you want a game with tens of thousands of entities and low performance usage collisions, voxel games may not be for you.