Starmade is Unplayable--Game Won't Update/Memory Issues

Reaction score
    okay, so the first error is this. which i got upon first downloading the installer and trying to install the game, i then went to the zipped files and downloaded those separately but still get this error (so it can't/won't ever update)

then within 2 minutes of playing the game i started getting errors about running out of memory. i tried to tweak my memory settings and the game wouldn't even start without them set to the defaults.

the game ended up completely freezing shortly after the above image and had to be crashed out because it was "not responding" as an app hang error.

now... i've actually bought this game but have since had a hard drive fail and had to reinstall windows twice. i have several other MMOs/online games installed and have no issues with any of those. and before all of that happened i had no issues with star made. now i come back and nothing even works anymore. what in the crap is going on with this game?!

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Do you have 64bit java? the game wont start if you give it too much memory in 32bit java, and tends to crash alot more useing 32bit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen
    okay, so the first error is this. which i got upon first downloading the installer and trying to install the game, i then went to the zipped files and downloaded those separately but still get this error (so it can't/won't ever update)

then within 2 minutes of playing the game i started getting errors about running out of memory. i tried to tweak my memory settings and the game wouldn't even start without them set to the defaults.

the game ended up completely freezing shortly after the above image and had to be crashed out because it was "not responding" as an app hang error.

now... i've actually bought this game but have since had a hard drive fail and had to reinstall windows twice. i have several other MMOs/online games installed and have no issues with any of those. and before all of that happened i had no issues with star made. now i come back and nothing even works anymore. what in the crap is going on with this game?!
    Where did you install the game?You ahould NOT instal lthe game on the desktop and somwhere that has no space left.

I have some links in case of you installed it corectly but still not working how is supozed to:

http://starmadedock.net/threads/game-not-updating-starting-bug.1874/#post-26570
    http://bugs.star-made.org/projects/starmade-game/wiki/Predictable_game_state

Sorry for my bad English.

Reaction score
    Do you have 64bit java? the game wont start if you give it too much memory in 32bit java, and tends to crash alot more useing 32bit.
    not sure, but i'm thinking probably not. the memory issues seem to stem from planet geometry. i'm finding that as long as i don't get close enough for those to begin loading details i don't have memory issues. i feel i shouldn't need to point out how ridiculous that is as i'm sure there are things that can only be done on a planet. if i install 64 bit java what would be the optimum memory settings both for client and server to use? my laptop has 6 gigs of ram in total.

Reaction score
    Where did you install the game?You ahould NOT instal lthe game on the desktop and somwhere that has no space left.

I have some links in case of you installed it corectly but still not working how is supozed to:

Sorry for my bad English.
    your english is fine, brah. in that screenshot the game isn't installed anywhere. that's just downloading the setup file and running it. when i downloaded the zip and extracted it i put it in a C:/Games/StarMade/ folder though. that shouldn't cause any issues, i would think.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen
    your english is fine, brah. in that screenshot the game isn't installed anywhere. that's just downloading the setup file and running it. when i downloaded the zip and extracted it i put it in a C:/Games/StarMade/ folder though. that shouldn't cause any issues, i would think.
    No it should not.Again it might be that major nug again o_O

Here are some links that probably would help you a lot.

Reaction score
    so i cannot get the game to work because of this memory issue. however, i can find NOWHERE the way to expand memory allowance. I have 32 bit because when i try to download 64 bit it says i need an admin password, however the password was never given to me by the person that set up my computer. lil help?

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    so i cannot get the game to work because of this memory issue. however, i can find NOWHERE the way to expand memory allowance. I have 32 bit because when i try to download 64 bit it says i need an admin password, however the password was never given to me by the person that set up my computer. lil help?
    Please use the Starmade system checker and post a report here.
    If you have a 32bit OS you may not have a way to bypass the limit.
    You can reduce the needed amount a lot,
    by disabling procedural background,
    disabling shadows
    and setting texture pack resolution to lowest possible.

For a 64bit OS you can use this as a hint how to find out working values.

- Andy