StarMade Dev Update: Introducing Faction Points

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    this sounds cool and all, but what i think is important aswell is the ability to see the borders of your faction area. I don't want it so that the only way to know if you are in an area of a faction being a name under the place where the coordinates are at the the top of the screen. How about adding the ability to set a faction colour, and then make the area your faction have on the map have the same colour? or something like that (this would add a lot more use to the map aswell).

I want to see faction area's, and not just read "1 5 6 this sector is property of billybobby's faction"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    While making the wedge sitting animation, I was surprised by how natural it ended up looking even though it's just a wedge. When the animation was actually implemented, I was amazed that sitting on a wedge felt so natural. I'm not saying it's better than a chair could be, but my desire for adding true "chairs" dropped dramatically when sitting on wedges worked out so well. It looks just like anything else in StarMade, yet functions surprisingly elegantly as a chair.
    I still wish we'd get actual chairs as an option atleast.

Reaction score
    I still wish we'd get actual chairs as an option atleast.
    I disagree. I think a chair model would break the game's aesthetic by introducing a block with too many polygons to really match, unless it was really basic (like a simple L-shape, sort of like Minecraft's stairs). I think wedge chairs are fine.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I disagree. I think a chair model would break the game's aesthetic by introducing a block with too many polygons to really match, unless it was really basic (like a simple L-shape, sort of like Minecraft's stairs). I think wedge chairs are fine.
    i had suggested a kind of command block that comes in two shapes, a block and a wedge. it would make use of the new sitting animations but would allow us to directly access a system thats linked to. no complex shapes and allows us to incorporate into any existing chair designs

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    This game is a scifi game. It doesn´t need this strange limitations that minecraft has. It doesn´t have to look blocky as it doesn´t have to use bad weapon animations. We need chairs because Dave is too small to sit on a block and the more blocks are used to build a chair the smaller Dave looks sitting on it. And the chair has to add something to the cockpit that the other blocks can´t accomplish, some details. Of course it doesn´t need all details but a basic L shape isn´t enought in my opinion. Maybe armrests?

Reactions: Ithirahad

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    This is stupid.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I can't wait for the day Starmade breaks away from the "Everything has to either be a block or a sprite" Minecraft has proven you can keep that certain aesthetic even when branching out into more in depth models. I'm not saying Starmade should become more like Space Engineers but a few things here and there that are not simply blocks or part of a block would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I can't wait for the day Starmade breaks away from the "Everything has to either be a block or a sprite" Minecraft has proven you can keep that certain aesthetic even when branching out into more in depth models. I'm not saying Starmade should become more like Space Engineers but a few things here and there that are not simply blocks or part of a block would be nice.
    It's a very fine line though. Schema obviously wants to keep building elements as basic as possible so people can make their own creations and call them whatever they want. But at what point is something too specialized that it goes against that mantra? I think we need more basic shapes now that inventory clutter is much more manageable, but that won't happen until id block limit is addressed some way, or until new shapes are set to be implemented.

I personally don't give a single damn about "muh block aesthetics" like how moon phases in minecraft went from circular to square (to this day, I'm still incredibly pissed about that), we're long past that with wedges, tetras and pentas. Starmade in a way is almost some unholy fusion between a low-poly and voxel game at this point if you really think about it. I believe that more basic shapes would go a long way in staying true to the "do it yourself" philosophy and allow the players the tools to actually do it.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It's a very fine line though. Schema obviously wants to keep building elements as basic as possible so people can make their own creations and call them whatever they want. But at what point is something too specialized that it goes against that mantra? I think we need more basic shapes now that inventory clutter is much more manageable, but that won't happen until id block limit is addressed some way, or until new shapes are set to be implemented.

I personally don't give a single damn about "muh block aesthetics" like how moon phases in minecraft went from circular to square (to this day, I'm still incredibly pissed about that), we're long past that with wedges, tetras and pentas. Starmade in a way is almost some unholy fusion between a low-poly and voxel game at this point if you really think about it. I believe that more basic shapes would go a long way in staying true to the "do it yourself" philosophy and allow the players the tools to actually do it.
    I love you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Starmade is like the virtual "LEGO" space game that I always dreamed about as a kid. When I was little most of the LEGO blocks were different types and colors of rectangles. They began to slowly add different shapes and styles of blocks, which in many ways enhanced creativity. When Space sets with minifigures debuted around 1977 I jumped for joy. My first Space set was the 487: Space Cruiser and to this day it is still one of my favorites. I doubt if anybody would want to go back to the old LEGO guys and basic pieces. Starmade will probably be the same way.

Reactions: Omni and Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

Yeah people complained about the round sun and moon so we got square moon with round phases... that was somehow acceptable even though it makes less sense.

...but like I said, I don't want it to be space engineers where everything is a defined complex model. Just look how far things like fence posts in Minecraft go. It's simple but offers so many more creative outlets because it's not just another cube. We do have light bars which are great for a lot of things but I'm just not a huge fan of sprites.

Reaction score

Hmm. That's a really good point. Maybe my view was a bit too extreme.
    Still, I'm pretty neutral about chairs one way or the other. It's low on my list of features I'd like implemented.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Communists don't get chairs, sorry. You can sit with the glory of Joseph Stalin supporting your bottom
    Haha, you are a funny man.

Your sense of comedy shall not go to waste.
    You're rewarded with a seat on a express train to the Gulag.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    In this day in age, a man in the gulag is more free than a man in Moscow! Down with Stalin! Up with Trotsky! Long live Revolution!

Reaction score
    Starmade is like the virtual "LEGO" space game that I always dreamed about as a kid. When I was little most of the LEGO blocks were different types and colors of rectangles. They began to slowly add different shapes and styles of blocks, which in many ways enhanced creativity. When Space sets with minifigures debuted around 1977 I jumped for joy. My first Space set was the 487: Space Cruiser and to this day it is still one of my favorites. I doubt if anybody would want to go back to the old LEGO guys and basic pieces. Starmade will probably be the same way.
    I. Seriously, I've always hated Playmobil for the premade stuff they had, and then Lego started to go the same way, limiting creativity. We love games like this for their simplicity, otherwise Minecraft would have been replaced by something built on top of Blender, where one can create models with unlimited detailing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    any one hoping to see pirates npcs spawn on the stations? i want
    Wow, it actaully made me think. Since pirates are faction, will they control territory with new faction update? Will they send patrols? Or maybe backup to attacked sectors?
    Wow. We are getting definitely more depth to the game!