StarMade 0.94: More stability and lots of fixes

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    There is a scaling option in the server cfg. I\'m looking for a value that is good for a vanilla server. The current default is just a guess basically

Reaction score
    After playing around a bit i noticed there are some lighting glitches/bugs, when placing plexlights for example sometimes walls will not update to the new lightlevels, or they update but to bright/dim.

also it seems starlight from the nearest star enhances light output for a plexlight if it is shining on the same face of a block wall as the plexlight(s) in question.

i also received a build bounding box exception error:22, or something along those lines (22 is for sure).

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    have you sent in a report on that exception?

Reaction score
    i wish i had, by automatism of dismissing popups i clicked it down (-_-)...

trying to recreate it right now...

was in build mode playing with wedges and advanced build mode to place multiple of them...

Reaction score
    Oh sweet jesus YES. Advanced build mode wedge orientation is highlighted. no more Black wedges against a black background

Reaction score
    i delved through the logs in the hope of finding something/refinding the error...

only things i keep finding that dont seem right are these:

[3-okt-2013 23:53:48] STDERR: [CLIENT][EDIT] PLACING AT (-20, 6, 85)[NONE]o[FRONT]; size: (1, 1, 1) --> (-1, 1, 1); orient 6([WARNING] UNKNOWN SIDE) -map-> 6 PHY: RigBExOrig@806714520([CCS|CLI Ship[Pirated_Constellation_Battleship](11)])

[3-okt-2013 23:58:32] STDERR: [AI] DISBANDING: Waiting for all to unload. Still loaded: ENTITY_SHIP_MOB_SIM_Destroyer uss-lenin1380837046233_3;

which keeps repeating itself a lot of times......

EDIT: found it :D

[GLFRAME] THROWN: class java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsExceptionPrinting StackTrace DONE
    [3-okt-2013 23:21:16] STDERR: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 22

Reaction score
    i know its log.txt.4

do i zip the log folder and put it somewhere for you? or do i make a copy of that log file and place it on google docs?

Reaction score
    In space, there\'s no air resistance, nor any actual factor, to determine such a thing as \"turning speed\" - a long skinny \"stick\" should turn just as well as a big, bulky object, as there\'s literally nothing to stop it from turning. The old method of mass-based turning made more sense - the more mass engines needed to move, the more inertia that they needed to overcome.

Just putting that out there - the way you\'ve changed it to just doesn\'t make as much sense to me.

Reaction score
    you do not have air resistance and such agreed but you still have mass which needs energy to gain momentum.

its newtons first law:

Newton\'s first law of motion states that \"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.\" Objects tend to \"keep on doing what they\'re doing.\" In fact, it is the natural tendency of objects to resist changes in their state of motion. This tendency to resist changes in their state of motion is described as inertia. Inertia: the resistance an object has to a change in its state of motion.

Reaction score
    obviously the stays in motion part is not very usable in a game for youll lose your ship forever unless you can keep up with it or stop it somehow (just lets say they atm have automated stop motion sytems inside by default)...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Space may lack air, but it is far from being empty between worlds. There is still some friction due to dust pockets and gas clouds hiding in the shadows, even the various kinds of radiation like solar flares and such have enough force to slow moving objects.

Reaction score
    Thank you for putting the ability to change that value in there.

TURNING_DIMENSION_SCALE = 1.1

^ default value for those looking to change it.

Reaction score
    This is one of the best updates so far! I really like how you took some ideas from the community and made them a reality. Thanks for the amount of time and effort you put into this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Schema, you are the man! This is an amazing update, and I hope it paves the way to some awesome content to be added soon in the future!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    to get into physics with you, Eliwood,

\"

In space, there\'s no air resistance, nor any actual factor, to determine such a thing as \"turning speed\" - a long skinny \"stick\" should turn just as well as a big, bulky object, as there\'s literally nothing to stop it from turning. The old method of mass-based turning made more sense - the more mass engines needed to move, the more inertia that they needed to overcome.

Just putting that out there - the way you\'ve changed it to just doesn\'t make as much sense to me.\"

this is not the case. laws of physics pertaining to rotational inertia and momentum are at work IRL, so mass-based only is senseless. it\'s mass at dimension distance from the center of gravity that affects the turning of an object under torque from a thruster. this means that objects that are long and have most of their mass placed outwards towards the outer limites of their dimensions will turn slower than a ship of the same mass and dimensions, but mass near the center of gravity. such is rotational physics. the current system i\'ve yet to feel out, but i think schema has got the idea right. just need to scaling to be played with until it works well.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    google searches look at if you don\'t understand why schema has implemented turning the way it is in the latest patch:

-rotational inertia
    -angular momentum
    -angular acceleration
    -torque