StarMade 0.1836 New Tutorial and loads of fixes

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I made a gun, cannon/cannon/punch. It's a thing. 5/10/5. 20 blocks total. 100dps. Cool! Did 10/10. 20 blocks. 100 dps. Cool! I then did 5/10. And it did.. 50 dps? 15 blocks didn't do 75 dps at all. Decided values were too small to test, upped it to 50/100/50. 200 blocks, 1000 dps. Did 50/100, 150 blocks, 500 dps. Not 750. Is this intended?
    You cannot go past 100% Effects increases the number of blocks a slave has to be to reach 100% but once you hit that threshold the weapon stops increasing in power.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You cannot go past 100% Effects increases the number of blocks a slave has to be to reach 100% but once you hit that threshold the weapon stops increasing in power.
    50/100/0 is still 100% efficient. But it doesn't do 5 dps a block, that is what I'm wondering if its intentional or not.

EDIT: nvm. Math is hard. Reread what you said and double checked some things, and it makes sense again

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    New 'balances' for the slave system are stupid and completely unfair. Now we need more slave system than the master system? Completely stupid. Hope you change it back because it was fine the way it was.

Reaction score
    The 1:1:1 ratio made a lot more sense than what we have now. It should be possible to preserve the even distribution of DPS between master, slave and effect systems while still maintaining the ratios we had before. I'm in the process of building a ship with a 309416/309416/309416 Cannon/Beam/Punch system divided into eight groups as a primary weapon. I mean, I can adjust it so that it has twice as many slave or half as many master and effect blocks as before, but I'd rather spend that time doing detail work.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    I do not like this "fix" either. It seems as though it is a masking of whatever bug was present by changing the implementation mechanic to hide it under the rug.

It does not add anything of benefit to the game and in fact ruins some of the features of the weapons linking system. Previously a 1:1:1 system could be build intelligently so that the master and slave systems could be switched on the fly in the weapons menu. You could have a machine gun cannon with one output that could be re-configured to one with a shotgun array output on the fly only suffering a power usage penalty. Now the imbalance required to get 100% slave ruins this feature since switching the master and slave will reduce the % of both the new slave's and the effect's effect on the system.

It is not a logical decision for a solution unless this is some sort of temporary work-around for a bug that Schema can not fix.

Reactions: NuclearFun

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hooray for people not understanding how it works now.

Let's say a weapon system has 100 blocks, and has 1000 DPS.

A 50:50 weapon system will have 100 blocks and 1000 DPS as well.

A 25:50:25 weapon system will have 100 blocks and 1000 DPS.

While you need to change the specific block type amounts, this new system still takes up the same amount of space, and removes unfair bugs that would boost damage beyond normal levels.

This weapon system needs to go. Bring back the old one.
    Yeah, let's go back to the days of massive AMC checkerboards! Those were great, right guys? Totally not laggy and boring.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i don't like changes, they are scary D: i've just refitted my ships, but oh well, i'll do it again.

i do have a question though: can i change the "bullet" speed? they seem to travel really slow when i make a large machine gun cannon, which makes it quitte hard to shoot at small targets.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    New 'balances' for the slave system are stupid and completely unfair. Now we need more slave system than the master system? Completely stupid. Hope you change it back because it was fine the way it was.
    It's completely fair and balanced. It won't mater if it's 1:1:1 or 1:2:1 the amount of DPS per block will be the same. The only problem I see is it's just logically off. I just don't see the logic behind an effect increasing the required slave blocks. I could understand effects needing to be the size of both master and slave but not the way it is now.

Not everything is a perfect ratio either so it just becomes more complex trying to figure out how many master and slaves you need to get your ideal ratio for any given gun. I for one hate 50:50 machine guns except in certain circumstances.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i do have a question though: can i change the "bullet" speed? they seem to travel really slow when i make a large machine gun cannon, which makes it quitte hard to shoot at small targets.
    Yes, you can make bullets much faster by replacing them with beams. ;)

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1. The game is still in alpha, you'll probably have to refit your ships more than once until release.
    Yes, I agree but it seems like there isn't a single major update where something isn't messed up for no reason. I just hope that the final release will be balanced, where everything is viable. I don't want to see one and only one type of design because it is the only viable one, like with salvage-cannon now. Schema is easily one of the best devs I've seen, but it seems like he makes really random ideas when it comes to balance. I'm not hating, but thats just what I see with many updates. I think more community input should go into balance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

TL;DR A million wrongs don't make a right

Reaction score
    It's completely fair and balanced. It won't mater if it's 1:1:1 or 1:2:1 the amount of DPS per block will be the same. The only problem I see is it's just logically off. I just don't see the logic behind an effect increasing the required slave blocks. I could understand effects needing to be the size of both master and slave but not the way it is now.

Not everything is a perfect ratio either so it just becomes more complex trying to figure out how many master and slaves you need to get your ideal ratio for any given gun. I for one hate 50:50 machine guns except in certain circumstances.
    if you prepare the game to your needs, than this shit is fine, but NOT ONLY YOU playing with it, and it is disturbing me, while it's illogical

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've gotta partially agree with the rage about the weapons change. It may not have been working as intended, but it seemed to be working, gameplay-wise, completely fine as it was. If anything needed to be changed, it was individual balances (missiles? maybe? not?) not the entire system.

Reaction score
    1. The game is still in alpha, you'll probably have to refit your ships more than once until release.
    2. Read the bug tracker, you can't expect a forum announcement for every bugfix.
    3. Your are totally not alone with that problem. :)
    1. the alpha state would be perfect to get user participation before implementing changes
    2. that is not a bugfix but a major change to balance and affecting most past builds
    3. yes and i'll bet there a lot of people without "much enthusiasm" for the new system

I tried to understand the new system but i can not to see the logic behind it, it breaks a lot but fixes only little.
    For instance: what about beam support? that was always supposed to only bring plus range without dps... now that would be completely f**** up

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Guys. You could get more DPS from a 2:2:2 than a 6:0:0. That is broken. This was the easiest way for schema to repair this flaw. You don't need to increase the number of blocks in your system. The same amount as you had before will still work (except in extremely small cases), you just need to modify the exact module type.

Reaction score
    I just found an annoying bug with the 'fix' concerning astronauts and sun/star heat damage. I really doubt the current behaviour is as intended.

Reaction score
    The one thing I do like about this is that missile energy consumption is now vastly reduced. Before, a rather small array was consuming almost 900 million energy with each shot. Now, it's closer to half that amount.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    ... I just hope that the final release will be balanced, where everything is viable. I don't want to see one and only one type of design because it is the only viable one, like with salvage-cannon now. ...
    Quoted it because it was the first I could find.

Please, people, when talking about salvage, keep in mind that it is a bug and was a result of the salvage mechanics being worked on. I'm not sure what exactly is going to happen, but it should be really cool and it is going to fix all the salvage - slave combos.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    sigh... Im an engineer for my faction. I spend alot of time on my designs and i try to base my ships more on looks then systems. The game is slowly trying to kill its fanbase. The weapons update was mostly positive but then it went downhill. shield rechargers. basically a buck you rebuild all your ships. effect power was changed. another buck you rebuild. i got over my anger and kept playing. Starting to build ships with less design because i was worried of another major change. Started working on more complex designs feeling confident i'm not wasting my time. And now another "fix" which is just unnecessary and requires ships getting bigger. (yeah does the same dps blah blah) It's just getting frustrating..... I love starmade. I really do. but with all these complete buck you redesigns... Just keep in mind schema. the more you redesign systems the more talented players move on to games that don't screw you over... (sorry about grammar i'm from ireland and its currently 00:31 at the time of me typing this)[DOUBLEPOST=1416616600,1416616330][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, you may notice it says new member next to my name due to how little i post on the forums.
    I have never been so pissed before that i actually voice my complaints.

Reaction score
    Guys. You could get more DPS from a 2:2:2 than a 6:0:0. That is broken. This was the easiest way for schema to repair this flaw. You don't need to increase the number of blocks in your system. The same amount as you had before will still work (except in extremely small cases), you just need to modify the exact module type.
    While this may seem to be an easy solution to this problem it opens a lot of other problems. There are certainly other solutions that could fix this bug...