StarMade 0.1836 New Tutorial and loads of fixes

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So, if I understand correctly, you need some other ratio than 1:1:1 (master:slave:effect) to get 100% slave and 100%effect?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, if I understand correctly, you need some other ratio than 1:1:1 (master:slave:effect) to get 100% slave and 100%effect?
    You now need 1 master : 2 slave : 1 effect for everything to be 100%. Old ships using slaves will now have to increase the total size of the array by 1/3 to get everything back up to 100%.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You now need 1 master : 2 slave : 1 effect for everything to be 100%. Old ships using slaves will now have to increase the total size of the array by 1/3 to get everything back up to 100%.
    oh ok

D

Deleted member 392097

I am a bit confused at the moment because in the StarMade Launcher it says that the latest stable release is 0.1837, and it says the same thing on the StarMade site where it tells you the latest stable release. But in the title of this thread you say that it is version 0.1836, and in the URL that you give, it says 0.1835: http://star-made.org/news/starmade-0-1835-new-tutorial-and-loads-of-fixes

So what is the actual version number?

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    If I understand this right. The dps of a weapon is not determined by the % of support or effect. Just by the total number of blocks used to build the weapon. This means the support and effect blocks are just for customising the weapon. If you build a amc with 3000 blocks it´s the same as if you build a 1000 block amc 1000 block support 1000 block effect weapon. Seems pretty easy to understand. To clear up the confusion i would say it this way in capslock (very important):

1. YOU DON´T HAVE TO GET 100% SUPPORT.
    2. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR WEAPON STRONGER ADD MORE BLOCKS TO WEAPON, SUPPORT OR EFFECT. IT DOESN´T MATTER FOR DPS.
    3. IF YOU WANT 100% SUPPORT NO MATTER WHAT YOU CAN CHANGE WEAPON AND EFFECT BLOCKS TO SUPPORTBLOCKS BUT THE DPS DOESN´T CHANGE.

Correct me if I´m wrong. :)

Reaction score
    Honestly, my enthusiasm for refitting all my ships and turrets to the state i wanted them to be is very very small. Maybe such things should be communicated before a patch?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    These are their stats
    The last configuration has 2000 damage per shot and 0.1s reload time. This should actually result 20000 dps, so something must be wrong there.

Honestly, my enthusiasm for refitting all my ships and turrets to the state i wanted them to be is very very small. Maybe such things should be communicated before a patch?
    1. The game is still in alpha, you'll probably have to refit your ships more than once until release.
    2. Read the bug tracker, you can't expect a forum announcement for every bugfix.
    3. Your are totally not alone with that problem. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If I understand this right. The dps of a weapon is not determined by the % of support or effect. Just by the total number of blocks used to build the weapon. This means the support and effect blocks are just for customising the weapon. If you build a amc with 3000 blocks it´s the same as if you build a 1000 block amc 1000 block support 1000 block effect weapon. Seems pretty easy to understand. To clear up the confusion i would say it this way in capslock (very important):

1. YOU DON´T HAVE TO GET 100% SUPPORT.
    2. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR WEAPON STRONGER ADD MORE BLOCKS TO WEAPON, SUPPORT OR EFFECT. IT DOESN´T MATTER FOR DPS.
    3. IF YOU WANT 100% SUPPORT NO MATTER WHAT YOU CAN CHANGE WEAPON AND EFFECT BLOCKS TO SUPPORTBLOCKS BUT THE DPS DOESN´T CHANGE.

Correct me if I´m wrong. :)
    What does change is the fire rate. When you consider that when you're trying to aim at a moving target with Cannons+Cannon+Effect, the fire rate is very important as most of the time you miss due to the derpy nature of the way the cannons aim. Keeping this in mind, I'm tearing out all my cannons and refitting them..... again.... This takes the YAY away from the much needed bugfixes.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So let me get this straight on the weapons, if I had 600 blocks for the master system and 600 for both the support and effect I would need to cut the support and effect systems down to 300 blocks each in order to get 100% out of them? Still trying to wrap my head around everything so I can fix all my weapons systems I just finished yesterday after a week of work, seems like it's never ending lol.

Nevermind just did some testing, have to up the support system to 1200 blocks while keeping everything else at 600 to get everything to 100% and that lowers the DPS so drastically I don't really see a point in the support or effect system anymore. I'm sure with some messing about with the system I can find a ratio I like that does what I want but quite frankly on a ship where 1800 blocks is the smallest weapon system I have I really can't be bothered to do that work. I'll just focus on shields and power systems with stop effect turrets and fly through any hostile areas without a care in the world.
    The slave and effect systems were never meant to change your damage per second output. It just changes how you apply your damage to the enemy (in a million of small bullet, single big shells, ect). In the end, the damage per second stays the same.

Your dps was reduced because it was bugged. If you want your weapon to act the same as it used to than make your system (in blocks) 450/900/450 (master/slave/effect). At least that's how I understood it.

Also, the replace tool is your friend :). Might as well take the occasion to optimize your ship ^_^.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Your dps was reduced because it was bugged. If you want your weapon to act the same as it used to than make your system (in blocks) 450/900/450 (master/slave/effect). At least that's how I understood it.
    Correct.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Remember, this is Schema's Masterpiece. I am glad he is willing to tweak and adjust things to get the best results. Complaining that things have changed is like telling DA VINCI that the Mona Lisa doesn't smile enough. Yes, it is sometimes annoying, but let's be patient.

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    And salvage is still broken, I guess I'll wait another few weeks. Other than that, great work.

Reaction score
    The weapons DID NOT get nerfed.

Indeed they didn't. They just got messed up (or "Schema'd" ) as usual.

After all this time, I'm forced to log back in to this infernal site, and descend into the masses of mindless fanboys and furries to bring about the light of unwanted truth, and ignored common sense.

You claim the 1:1:1 ratio had to be changed to 1:2:1 because 1:1:1 made the weapon have a greater damage output.

That is a wrong answer to the wrong problem.
    A few patches ago effect modules did indeed increase weapon damage, regardless of what they were supposed to do. That has already been fixed.
    I haven't seen it occure anymore. That bug, so smugly referenced in the bug tracker might point to that. It might have been posted by an imbecile. Nothing I tried modified weapon damage, unless it was supposed to do that (pulse secondary, or overdrive module)

Let's pretend the bug WAS real - maybe it was so recent even I didn't have time to notice it? -
    You can still build a 1:1:1, or a 100% ratio or whatever. How come it no longer messes things up?
    If it was real, why not just fix that bit of code that accidentally made the suport blocks add to weapon damage, and leave the ratios well alone?

It gets worse.
    Beam weapon with beam secondary, for increased range: Before the patch, it didn't have any anomalous damage boost. Changing the number of support blocks had no effect on it's damage output whatsoever. As it should be.
    All it did, was increasing the weapon's range. As it should.
    -Now, on this current patch, as you start adding support blocks, the weapon's range increases, it's burst time decreases, and it's recharge time increases. Oddly enough, I reached 100% support while still only having a 1:1 ratio of beam-beam, no effect. Odder still, the weapon's power consumption and damage increased to four times the unsupported value.
    Then I added overdrive modules. Still at 1:1:1 ratio, it shoved 100% both on support and effect. Weapon damage didn't change, range dropped by one quarter, burst time doubled, recharge time dropped by one quarter.

Case in point:

All values are changing wildly and unpredictably. The bug that was claimed fixed was actually just now introduced to the game.

And, if you're still reading, I'll tell you the greatest problem is still laying beneath all this chaos.
    Namely, how utterly wrong this entire support and effect system is:
    Small turrets and ships are laughably useless with some weapons, as you simply can't squeeze in enough blocks to make them work. Several stats are fixed, such as range, area of effect, or projectile speed. It quickly becomes awkward when both a tiny and a gigantic cannon reaches the same range and aoe. The previous, scaling system made more sense.
    And most of all, every weapon needs to have several effects, though you can only ever add one: Like aoe AND penetration - they ought to be inherent values for every weapon.

This weapon system needs to go. Bring back the old one. Add all the current effects and stat modifiers as built in sliders, much like it used to be. Based on the weapon's mass, you'll get points. Then let everyone balance out those points on any and all stats and effects they like. Be generous. Overkill is fun. A cannon, with a 20 block diameter barrel destroying 1 block, and perhaps 5 around it is the opposite of fun.

Reaction score
    And salvage is still broken, I guess I'll wait another few weeks. Other than that, great work.
    yes i was thinking this same thing once i tried my array after this update.....

but instead of going another few weeks without playing my favorite game, iv decided on a compromise. i made another salvager with 1:1 cannon slave and am simply using that to mine. its totally broken and over powered in the sense that it salvages super super fast and consumes almost no energy. while on the other hand un-linked salvagers consume a ridiculous amount of power and are much slower.

to try an balance it out im trying to limit the size of my array to about 1/4th the size of my old one and also limiting my time spent mining, its very meta-gamey and un-immersive, but its better then going another strech of time with no starmade. as yesterday for the update, was the first time i launched the game in two weeks! and i basically fell in love with the game all over again.

so maybe try something like that, i know its not ideal, but its the best balance between legit and creative play i could find for now. and any "illegitimate" constructions will all be solved once ship yards (and station yards?) are implemented. (basically as many players are currently doing, building in creative, then importing in survival with "buy with blocks" enabled. shipyards will simply remove the issue of how many unique blocks you can hold in your inv at once while buying a ship/station)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The weapons DID NOT get nerfed. It was a bug fix:

2/2/2 did more dps than 6/0/0. This was a bug and it got fixed. It had to be fixed, there is no reason why it should be that the same amount of blocks should do more damage in other setups, because then it would be the only thing people would use.

You don't need to add more blocks, you just need to redistribute. Power usage is also less now without the bug so there is absolutely no nerf involved other than the ability to get more dps by using effects, which shouldn't be.

You don't have to put more stuff on your ship. The damage has NOT been reduced, just the ratio needed, if you have now 50% on your machine gun, all shots will do double damage as when they were at 100% minus a very small amount from the bugfix.

the system is now:

combiPercent = slave : master+effect
    effect is still = effect : master
    Is it not possible to have the DPS balance issues fixed while maintaining a 1:1:1 ratio for 100%. Having 1:2:1 ratio for 100% is really kind of confusing.

combiPercent = slave : master
    effect is still = effect : master

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @OdraNoel , if you change the power usage to 10x times what you feel you should use for 1 salvage module and 1 cannon barrel combination, you'll get:
    • Base value 10 000 e/s
    • Nerf by 10 for cannon -> 1000 e/s (per array, doubles for 2 and 2, triples for 2 and 3, etc.).
    Hope this helps. Still broken, but it is probably better to do it that way, because then you don't necessarily need to refit your ship the next update. If you still need to refit, it will be a lot less work than if you don't do it that way.

Edit:
    Is it not possible to have the DPS balance issues fixed while maintaining a 1:1:1 ratio for 100%. Having 1:2:1 ratio for 100% is really kind of confusing.
    It isn't that confusing. You just need to get used to it, and then everything will be fine.

But be glad that it isn't 1:1:mad: (so 2 effect). The costs would otherwise be insane.

Edit 2: That emoticon isn't supposed to be there. It is supposed to be 1:1:2

Last edited:
    Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The last configuration has 2000 damage per shot and 0.1s reload time. This should actually result 20000 dps, so something must be wrong there.

1. The game is still in alpha, you'll probably have to refit your ships more than once until release.
    2. Read the bug tracker, you can't expect a forum announcement for every bugfix.
    3. Your are totally not alone with that problem. :)
    Remember that you are adding new blocks to the array, so your DPS will naturally go up. It looks like whatever tool you are using is broken though.

Reaction score
    Ah, ok. I wasn't worried about the DPS changing, just that my old MG turrets are most definitely are MGs anymore. Not as effective as countermeasures, you know?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I made a gun, cannon/cannon/punch. It's a thing. 5/10/5. 20 blocks total. 100dps. Cool! Did 10/10. 20 blocks. 100 dps. Cool! I then did 5/10. And it did.. 50 dps? 15 blocks didn't do 75 dps at all. Decided values were too small to test, upped it to 50/100/50. 200 blocks, 1000 dps. Did 50/100, 150 blocks, 500 dps. Not 750. Is this intended?