StarMade 0.157 (optimization & fixes)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Overdrive modules are one of the new effect systems in place, using them without attaching them to weapons increases thrust efficiency(i think) and allows you to go faster than the set speed limit

imo= in my opinion

Reaction score
    Overdrive modules are one of the new effect systems in place, using them without attaching them to weapons increases thrust efficiency(i think) and allows you to go faster than the set speed limit

imo= in my opinion
    Oh ok, cool. That will really help with my BattleCarrier-class Omega

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Any word on FTL drives? I'm working on a capital ship and I want to be able to allocate space for one when it comes out.
    I hope they will not add this, I prefer jump gates. Because: bigger ship = bigger gate to build and more expensive. At least until they add fuel...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I hope they will not add this, I prefer jump gates. Because: bigger ship = bigger gate to build and more expensive. At least until they add fuel...
    Ship based FTL alongside Jump Gate based FTL would be much better. Jump gates allow for consistent travel between stations for smaller ships and larger non-FTL capable ships, and ship based allows large battle cruisers and specialized scouts to get out to fights where they are needed.

Also, I disagree with fuel. That's a topic for another day, though.

Reaction score
    Ship based FTL alongside Jump Gate based FTL would be much better. Jump gates allow for consistent travel between stations for smaller ships and larger non-FTL capable ships, and ship based allows large battle cruisers and specialized scouts to get out to fights where they are needed.

NOOOOOO FUUUUEEEEEEEEELLLL!!!!!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    THIS GAME NEEDS STARGATES XD Even if its just a Mod, THIS GAME NEEDS THEM
    Calm down with the caps, buddy. Those are reserved for SHORT EXCLAMATIONS and not VERY LONG LINES OF POINTLESSNESS THAT ONLY STRAIN THE EYES OF THE READER AND GENERALLY BE OBNOXIOUS.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7

We need fuel and you know it. I mean some sort of limited energy source, bigger ships with bigger reactors = more fuel and maintenance cost. For balance sake...

I will agree to FTL only if they will use resources to use them.
    I always think about balance first, and balance is what this game needs right now. All complains ("shield wars" for example) comes from lack of balance. This game will die if Schine will listen to people that can't see bigger image and people that compensate small dick complex by building giant ships and only care about themselves, their designs.

Reactions: Dark_Inquisitor
    Reaction score
    Calm down with the caps, buddy. Those are reserved for SHORT EXCLAMATIONS and not VERY LONG LINES OF POINTLESSNESS THAT ONLY STRAIN THE EYES OF THE READER AND GENERALLY BE OBNOXIOUS.
    Lol I was just fooling around xD

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    We need fuel and you know it. I mean some sort of limited energy source, bigger ships with bigger reactors = more fuel and maintenance cost. For balance sake...
    Fuel for regular travel would be a pain in the ass, but I'm okay with ship-based FTL requiring some kind of valuable crystal that breaks after a certain amount of uses.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Fuel for regular travel would be a pain in the ass, but I'm okay with ship-based FTL requiring some kind of valuable crystal that breaks after a certain amount of uses.
    Why? It have perfect sense to me. You have always ship core in your inventory just in case, right? Even if you stuck somewhere because you drain last power crystal, you can always use that ship core to find some shop and buy new crystals. Regular ship use could use significantly less durability (hp?) of that crystal.
    I think fuel could balance this game and it is relatively simple solution. Right now power generation is some sort of infinite source of power and everything depends on it (even shield generation), so we can build infinite size ships with no consequences.

Reaction score
    Why does there have to be any kind of power that needs to be replaced at all? (I know this is a stretch) Look at the LightSaber, it doesn't need something to be replaced for it to work (Except for replacing broken parts)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Why does there have to be any kind of power that needs to be replaced at all? (I know this is a stretch) Look at the LightSaber, it doesn't need something to be replaced for it to work (Except for replacing broken parts)
    Well, assuming Starmade is a science-fiction game, that would not be possible. Star Wars is Science Fantasy, not Science Fiction.

I could start an entire rant about how Lightsabers could never do that, but I won't. :p

Also, I don't necessarily disagree with the adding of FTL fuel, but I feel like the players are not ready for it yet.

Reaction score
    I'm sure lightsabers need regular upkeeping, being that they are such an advanced weapon. I mean on the crystal inside alone I can see it needing a regular dusting to keep up peak reflection (assuming that's how it works?).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10

I will agree to FTL only if they will use resources to use them.
    I always think about balance first, and balance is what this game needs right now. All complains ("shield wars" for example) comes from lack of balance. This game will die if Schine will listen to people that can't see bigger image and people that compensate small dick complex by building giant ships and only care about themselves, their designs.
    You can balance stats without needing some sort of limited, constantly draining fuel resource. The limited resources of the future will be the blocks you build your ships with. With a better economy in the game, and resources being rarer, 1,000,000 mass ships won't be an issue.

Stats also need to be balanced, of course. A smaller faction shouldn't have to field their own titan to take out the enemy's. Clever use of multiple anti-cap frigates could accomplish it, as an example. However, with the current stats, that isn't really possible.

All I get from your last sentence is that someone with a bigger ship killed you, and now you think everyone who builds large ships must have tiny dicks, due to the "compensating" thing. First off, that's stupid. Second, what about the female or otherwise dickless players who build large ships? Are they somehow compensating for their complete lack of dick? Somehow I doubt it. You're doing nothing but making yourself look like an angry imbecille.

Why? It have perfect sense to me. You have always ship core in your inventory just in case, right? Even if you stuck somewhere because you drain last power crystal, you can always use that ship core to find some shop and buy new crystals. Regular ship use could use significantly less durability (hp?) of that crystal.
    I think fuel could balance this game and it is relatively simple solution. Right now power generation is some sort of infinite source of power and everything depends on it (even shield generation), so we can build infinite size ships with no consequences.
    Fuel is micromanaging and is obnoxious. I shouldn't need to constantly check my stats and make sure I have enough fuel to get from point A to point B, enough fuel to fire my weapons, enough to keep the autoturrets running. That's the point of smart reactor and power tank designs. It's boring and just adds another pointless check to the game that you need to occasionally tend to, like food in Minecraft. People said that it would be balanced because you needed to get food, but really it just ended up constantly starving new players to death and being an annoying hassle that didn't actually worry them for anyone with a small farm.

Which brings me to my next point. Fuel will either be rare enough or consumed enough that it will be pointless to ever field a larger ship, or common enough that it's just a slight hassle for players and doesn't actually solve any problems.

Well, assuming Starmade is a science-fiction game, that would not be possible. Star Wars is Science Fantasy, not Science Fiction.

I could start an entire rant about how Lightsabers could never do that, but I won't. :p

Also, I don't necessarily disagree with the adding of FTL fuel, but I feel like the players are not ready for it yet.
    Starmade is clearly not "hardcore science-fiction." It's a soft sci-fi, and we can bend the majority of the universes rules to fit gameplay better. We can have unexplained infinite power generators. We've already got huge amounts of things that don't make any sense. The world is made of blocks and partial blocks. Obviously lightsabers wouldn't work in real life, but neither would the majority of things in this game.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Your last statement is misleading. Yes, ships can generate infinite power, but it doesn't come all at once. There is a soft cap in-game with power generation. Once you breach 1mil e/sec, anymore power blocks added gives only the minimum. While this can be supplemented by using power storage, the ship WILL run out of power after using its weapons, thrusters, and shields. The bigger the ship, weapons, and shields, the more difficult it is to generate enough power to cover those systems. So while you can build infinite size ships (which is actually very limited by what a server and/or computer can handle) they do not come without some daunting challenges.

Reaction score

Really? I thought Star-Wars was Si-Fi. Because some of the things in the Star-Wars universe could be made, not exactly like it is in that universe, but similar.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Really? I thought Star-Wars was Si-Fi. Because some of the things in the Star-Wars universe could be made, not exactly like it is in that universe, but similar.
    Star wars has, for example, the Force. And ghosts. Also Lightsabers seem Sci-fi, but they aren't, because infinite power sources are impossible in every way.

Science Fantasy = It is a blend between Sci-Fi and the crazy magicks from Fantasy. Usually used to describe series, or games that are less plausible than soft Sci-Fi.