StarMade 0.157 (optimization & fixes)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

A lot of work has been done on some things that are not fully finished yet, but expect more features very soon :)

Optimization:
    - another bottleneck removed: much less CPU(~factor 20x) usage when calculating groups of a ship, and a lot less memory use
    (this bottleneck was causing lag for loading in larger ships in both memory usage jumping up by a lot, but also using way to much CPU. Also the general loading of objects has been improved. Thanks to people who provided server crashing ships, they don't impact performance much now)

Bugs:
    - fixed jumping and grappling not working when the same button
    - fixed combat exploit: Connecting new computers to weaponsystems no longer allows quick reloading

Tracker:
    I haven't been able to use much tracker bugs due to the provider switch (it went down for a day), but there are a lot of bugs in work, and some more fixed. The next update will include the ones that are missing in this writeup.

Most of the work on this update went into completing other started systems, like the new particle effect system, which is worked on alongside a lot of other things.

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not on the launcher yet. YAY MAJOR OPTIMIZING!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    yay now i don't have to allocate 75% of my RAM to loading my mothership!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS x9001!
    I hope this fixes the ping lag on big ships too! (or decreases it)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    :( and of course my weird computer still wants my starmade fps to be low...
    Well...It seems that everytime I do a fresh install of windows and update gpu drivers on that specific version of windows, then it becomes bad. Otherwise its good. When I play on fresh windows 8 without drivers fps is good. When I instll drivers fps is bad. When I then update to 8.1 , fps is good again, because I have never installed the drivers while using that version of windows (even though they were still there because I installed them in regular windows 8 before. Then if I decide to use the latest beta drivers because I want mantle for bf4, then I have installed new drivers! And then the starmade fps is bad again.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Non-rotatable decorative blocks are being placed in an orientation different from the preview, and different from identical blocks placed in previous versions/patches.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    OldSkull I know! this gets annoying when trying to set up a computer array using personal computers and they don't all face down it's very annoying

Reaction score
    The website is currently having trouble loading for me. I think its because my PC is still recovering from the 999999999 Isanth's I spawned in XD.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Really loving the rapid patching :)
    AFAIR Schema said that before he was working in similar speed (probably it's faster now due to more testers and better bug tracking) but updates weren't made public, instead available for devs to download.

I prefer updates being publicly available, because then whole community is testing new versions and giving feedback - basically a reason why we are allowed to play Starmade for free :)

Reactions: Unnamed25

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Just tested it out and indeed, the CPU bottleneck is gone! Thank you for all the hard work schema!

Reaction score
    Suggestion: Add an 'exploit' tag to the bug tracker, so that people can report them.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hello
    I have a question for future versions, will the game have like other AI factions(with big spaceships and army) that are on planets and space(i do not know where to ask questions.)?

Reaction score
    I seem to have missed the announcement of the refinery block. Is there some info on this handy? I have kept the version at .152 until .157, because of the converging salvage beams, but I've looked at the release notes back to .152 and I must have missed something.

Reaction score
    One optimization closer to star-pi! (or pi-made)
    Soon the raspberry pi server shall be complete >: D