Something that rhymes with "Harris Class Frigate"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    So, for weaponry: have a LOT of computers to your Archer emitters. AI will fire them all rapidly, without such a huge power cost (though if you build them big enough to be realistic it'll still be huge); otherwise, click through them all fast and keep'em coming. For 70 launchers, 10 different comps is NOT extreme; in fact, you may need even more to really deal with the power cost.
    For the MAC: something big and focused on penetration. It was, in reality, a giant, unreactive slug occasionally built of depleted uranium (DU) that would cause fires as it heated up due to friction, but it was never explosive. C-P-PT is probably a good representation; I'd say C-B-PT to really get some use out of it. Because, keep in mind, this was a huge, longrange, insanely fast slug. Also, AI would be murder at long ranges with a giant waffled cannon plus various additional weaponry.
    Also, if you have a main weapon, do NOT use secondary weapons on the ship's main hull; consign those to turrets, especially if they outrange your powerful one, because AI will stick at MAXIMUM range, and it's not a dynamic one unless they're slow and the opponent is closing; otherwise, they WILL stand far, far off.
    Looking BEAUTIFUL, just BEAUTIFUL. Keep going! This might very well be the first ship I download from CC.
    Also, I thought the Archers were in pods? In that case, build some small turrets for them. About 240 blocks per computer, w/3 outputs, with Missile-33%Beam-66%Explosive (I think, it's close to that anyways - might be 50% explosive, Idk), is a very effective weapon. Switching it to a nuke (Beam to Pulse) gives it a huge power draw (I have turrets utilizing two box launcher setups, containing two of these sets) but allows it to obliterate in just one volley 1 mil shields and then half the hull on one of LvD's Simeons, and though it's made out of hull blocks, the crater looks nice and deep. The first volley put the thing out of action; the second actually overheated it.
    I prefer fast missiles, though; they reload faster and aren't so vulnerable to PD systems.
    I like the idea of the archer system being in pods that are turrets, but that brings up a question; if it's only one axis and cannot spin, can they only target things that are in line of sight to them or would they be able to target in any direction so the missiles can actually track like they should be able to?
    [doublepost=1470613936,1470613825][/doublepost]
    Are you using red or orange? Red might work for the missile tubes. Either way, it creates a good contrast to let you know it's something boom boom lurks beneath.
    It's just regular red hull blocks. Orange looked too... Under construction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I did forget about that. Still not sure if that would work for the guided missiles but that's what testing is for so I'll have to try that

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I have a Heavy Fighter in development that has forward and downward missile tubes that fire together when the ship is AI controlled. I designed them to be fleet based to have the AI fire both sets. Works really well. The downward missiles launch together with the forward. I have another design that is yet to be spawned from my brain that fires out from forward and the sides/top/bottom. Mainly because I like the effect. Not sure what practical purpose it could serve, since most ships/stations have point defense that takes them out.

Reaction score
    Ah, on Turrets, that'd be a no. In order to fire at the target, they must be able to see the target.

This does have certain advantages, but for lock-on missiles it'd mean they can only "aim" and fire for 1/6th of your ship.

Come to think of it, that may/may not be the way to go for the Shiva missiles, since they're the "heavy hitters" of the missiles, would you really want them firing off willy-nilly?
    (I wouldn't, but this is certainly your build. Heck, I know I'd have not been able to pull off half of it without a few more years of gameplay)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Ah, on Turrets, that'd be a no. In order to fire at the target, they must be able to see the target.

This does have certain advantages, but for lock-on missiles it'd mean they can only "aim" and fire for 1/6th of your ship.

Come to think of it, that may/may not be the way to go for the Shiva missiles, since they're the "heavy hitters" of the missiles, would you really want them firing off willy-nilly?
    (I wouldn't, but this is certainly your build. Heck, I know I'd have not been able to pull off half of it without a few more years of gameplay)
    yeah that's what I was thinking about the turrets shooting so thanks for confirming that! As far as the build itself, well I have been playing for roughly 4 years so I have a tiny bit of experience lol.

I only build though and rarely do systems/ weapons/ turrets and things of that nature.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I tested one of my turrets with missile tubes firing in every direction except forward/reverse and they lock and fire no problem. Manual firing only requires a target lock from one array, but the AI does simultaneous launch with no issue.

Reaction score
    Yeah, vertical/horizontal/reverse launching all works fine with any missile system.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    All they require is for you to target, which applies to the AI also.
    Something interesting I noticed though, is the AI targets faster with my multi-directional missiles than my forward facing missiles.

Reaction score
    Actually, the AI targets instantly, no matter the weapon system. OP as it gets, really.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm not using anything but lock-on missiles. I thought required facing in the general direction before anything can fire, including AI. Just something I've observed, so I could be wrong.

My forward facing lock-on missile turret doesn't fire until it is pointing in the general direction. Where as the multi-directional turret doesn't hardly turn before the AI starts firing. Which is a bit of a pain sometimes, because it shoots my station.

Reaction score
    Part of "turret weirdness" is that, well, they're AI.
    If an AI-fired lock-on missile turret can gain a lock (and as Madman198237 pointed out, they instantly lock upon actually seeing the target), then it, unlike you, does not lose said lock. (so long as you don't get more than a sector away from it anyway)

That simple "bug"/"AI is a cheating bastard" is why lock-on Isanth-0 utterly rape newbs with cloaker/jammer, because it only needs to lock you once. After that, it doesn't matter that it shouldn't be able to see you.

Another part is that they're, again, AI.
    They can, and fairly often do, fire up to 88 degrees off-axis. (that means their "shot" is flying out the barrel, from the side of the barrel.)
    |||||------------
    ^ there's a barrel.

|||||------------ . . . .
    Normal shots leaving a barrel.

|||||------------​
    |
    |

AI cheating it's ass off, and firing 90 degrees off axis. (note that the computer is facing out the long end of the barrel) A player can only get about 45 degrees, without Special circumstances.
    Unless the player is in the turret, in which case he can't fire off-axis at all.

The more directions that weapon computers face, for lock-on missiles, the faster it acquires the target lock, because it has to turn less to "see" the target.
    'cause AI cheats, and sees through all the computers at the same time. (unlike the player, who sees through the The Core, or a Camera.)

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Lol, you're awesome Lord_Greyscale!
    Man, have you sent that to Schine? :)

So, that's what's going on. Thanks for letting us know. I was wondering what the hell was going one when my cloaked ship was as you say "raped", when I should be nowhere to be seen.

Damn, AI cheating b*stards! :eek:
    [doublepost=1470710762,1470710634][/doublepost]Rest In Pieces Cloaked ship. :(

Reaction score
    I think I actually learned some of that from reading the bug reports.

Schine knows about most of 'em. They're just really, really hard to fix.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I remember a while ago Saber hinting in one of his videos of the AI rebuild. So, we might be seeing some nifty changes to the AI now the NPC fleets are chosen.

Reactions: Anubis Evo
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    So, one thing that I'm not too sure of.. Where do the ODST SOEIV pods come from on this ship? there are photos of it on the Charon (near as I can tell, it's aft of the Ventral structure) but there is no definite location on the Paris/Remembrance class. Does anyone have info that I can not find? or should I just stick it in the same place that the Charon has it?

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    So, one thing that I'm not too sure of.. Where do the ODST SOEIV pods come from on this ship? there are photos of it on the Charon (near as I can tell, it's aft of the Ventral structure) but there is no definite location on the Paris/Remembrance class. Does anyone have info that I can not find? or should I just stick it in the same place that the Charon has it?
    I'm not too sure if the Paris/Remembrance class frigate had ODST drop pods, I do know of most destroyers having them, and they were located generally behind the lower "prong" of the prow. So if the Paris/Remembrance class had ODST pods they might be there.

Reaction score
    As I recall the Paris class did indeed have ODST drop pods. No clue where though, but it was somewhere near the underside vehicle bay. Also, if you build a turret, it HAS to have 2 axes of rotation; otherwise the AI will behave as a ship. And if the turret can't point directly at it, it can't gain a lock - so, build to suit. Leaving it on the hull is fine, but that reduces defensive capacity; fighters or corvettes could flank around - and you can't turn to take them down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I'm not too sure if the Paris/Remembrance class frigate had ODST drop pods, I do know of most destroyers having them, and they were located generally behind the lower "prong" of the prow. So if the Paris/Remembrance class had ODST pods they might be there.
    Okay, I can think of an area for them in which they might fit nicely so that's where I'll put them at! Thanks, Jonty.

As I recall the Paris class did indeed have ODST drop pods. No clue where though, but it was somewhere near the underside vehicle bay. Also, if you build a turret, it HAS to have 2 axes of rotation; otherwise the AI will behave as a ship. And if the turret can't point directly at it, it can't gain a lock - so, build to suit. Leaving it on the hull is fine, but that reduces defensive capacity; fighters or corvettes could flank around - and you can't turn to take them down.
    What I saw for what you were mentioning was the picture I had seen of the Charon class which had them just aft of the vehicle bay. I assume when you say vehicle bay you mean the ventral structure of the ship anyways otherwise I don't know what you're talking about haha:rolleyes: