Something that rhymes with "Harris Class Frigate"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've been attempting to make the doors for the Archer Missile silos for each pod openable via logic but I have been having one hell of a time actually getting them to work they way I want.

Ideally, having the upper and lower doors separate would look the best, but that would mean two separate entities for each bay, for a total of 10 cores/ pod. So with the mindset that I don't want to be the source of the end of a server should things go wrong I was attempting to make it only with one core/door for a total of 5 each pod.

The trouble I'm having is that the Archer's sit, for the most part, flush with the hull so getting the doors to actually rotate the way I'd like doesn't seem feasible to make them logic activated at all. Just looking for some thoughts on the subject. If I do actually make them logic it wont be a canon movement or very pretty I think. So at least in my opinion they should just be part of the ship and not logic at all.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh oh... rebuild from scratch. ;)

Logic doors are a pain. I wanted swing doors on my Carrier that ended up me having to live with visible hinges.

Reaction score
    You probably won't want to go with two doors per silo, and it might be easiest to just make them sliding covers. That's what I do with the doors I've made so far.

Especially since ships like these carried dozens of Archer pods...adding up to 2*several dozen=Many, many cores. Cores=Lag...usually.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    You probably won't want to go with two doors per silo, and it might be easiest to just make them sliding covers. That's what I do with the doors I've made so far.

Especially since ships like these carried dozens of Archer pods...adding up to 2*several dozen=Many, many cores. Cores=Lag...usually.
    Yeah, that was why I was saying I might just opt to leave them as part of the ship and missiles will shoot through them. Kinda boring but it will be the most aesthetically pleasing answer.
    Oh oh... rebuild from scratch. ;)

Logic doors are a pain. I wanted swing doors on my Carrier that ended up me having to live with visible hinges.
    That was what I have ended up doing for the escape pod hatches; having a visible hinge for them. But I think it doesn't sacrifice a lot of the ships look to get those. The archers are just too many too close to each other to make it look nice which is a shame because I was hoping I could have pulled it off better but that's okay though. as the saying goes, you can't always get what you want.

Thank for the input too, guys!

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think you could probably create some sort of illusion with the archer doors. Can you post a pic of the doors. I think I have an idea you could use to simplify things for yourself. A close up pic.

Reaction score
    If you have many doors close together....perhaps have them all rotate off of the same base? Only problem is that the hinges each door would have much all share 2 coordinate points with each other, otherwise the doors won't open properly/will look very strange.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    One entity for a row of doors was what I was thinking, but I would need to see close up what needs to happen.
    [doublepost=1470955042,1470954839][/doublepost]I can see in this pic there is a visible hinge, but I'm guessing it may be too small for this to work with a hidden dock/rotator config. However, you could fake with a hidden single rotator/docker under the hull.
    http://i.imgur.com/0mMxUsN.jpg
    [doublepost=1470955240][/doublepost]Oh by the way, this pic is from a project by somebody playing Star Citizen.
    Star Citizen: United Nations Space Command

Reaction score
    If they're set like that, you can get away with 4 independent rotation entities per group of Archer pods. That'd give you two doors per hatch cover, just like you wanted, while also cutting down on overall cores used.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed. Looks like 2 hinges per hatch for the dual door effect. Then all you need is to connect an entity to each row of hinges that are aligned to make it work. As Madman says, it would be 4 entities for the above pic example.
    [doublepost=1470956824,1470955457][/doublepost]I went to check out the comparison to my other fav Sci-Fi ships and can't see it. Either my eyes/brain are failing me or I just noticed DirkLoechel doesn't have this class on his chart. o_O

Mind you, it must be a lot of work building this thing. I only found it over a year ago and it has grown crazy since then.

Size Comparison - Science Fiction Spaceships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    One entity for a row of doors was what I was thinking, but I would need to see close up what needs to happen.
    [doublepost=1470955042,1470954839][/doublepost]I can see in this pic there is a visible hinge, but I'm guessing it may be too small for this to work with a hidden dock/rotator config. However, you could fake with a hidden single rotator/docker under the hull.
    http://i.imgur.com/0mMxUsN.jpg
    [doublepost=1470955240][/doublepost]Oh by the way, this pic is from a project by somebody playing Star Citizen.
    Star Citizen: United Nations Space Command
    I was wondering where you'd gotten that photo! haha I thought it looked really cool. I think I am going to PM you and Madman198237 to continue this talk so it's not consuming this thread lol

Reaction score
    Wonderful view from a distance. WONDERFUL.

MORE PICTURES!
    Actually, more progress, then MORE PICTURES!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Wonderful view from a distance. WONDERFUL.

MORE PICTURES!
    Actually, more progress, then MORE PICTURES!
    Yeah, as you know I'm working on it hahaha!

I'll make sure that once the logic is finished there will be several shots with how they work and then it's on to the interior

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Finished all the Archer Missile pods, Escape Pod hatches, the Harpoon Missile silos, and the Hangar Doors.

All set on rails though I only tested generally on one and then set the base rail system up to add logic later. I need to find a place where I can centralize it so when the logic breaks from updates it's easy to find and fix.

Here's a picture of them all in place

And a gif of the Archer's opening and closing - it's the proof of concept here, courtesy of Lone_Puppy for designing the logic and look of them!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Been a while since a post but that's because interior work is much harder to get decent pictures to show to everyone.
    Some that I can show however, are these of the hangar that I've been working on getting wrapped up.

and one more on the inside

It does a poor job of getting all the details I think but I suppose that saves some of the majesty of exploring it yourself once I'm done with it.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Damn, that is some good detail work, looks amazing. Feels pretty Halo to me, BUT, most of the hangars shown in lore are crazy multi-leveled affairs, and you definitely need some color.