SO LOST

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've found planets to be pretty buggy. If I were you I'd save up some creds and make a space station. Just make sure to build it in a sector that is not in an orbit path (purple ring on map) because I've also found building in an orbit to be buggy.

1. Shielding and armor blocks are important. I made my first mining ship out of hull, jumped near a pirate station by accident and got ripped in half in one shot. Jump drives are a must for most ships I think. I haven't messed with warp gates yet, but I'm sure they're useful. If you want to fight then weapon systems will be important :p
    2. Place one on a turret or ship, leave the ship, press R on it to activate it and change its settings. If you re-enter the ship it switches the AI off and the only way I've found to switch it back on is to press R on the block.
    3. Craft grey hulls, turn them into other colors, then make those into armor.
    4. Just aesthetics.
    5. This is actually one of the reasons I moved off of a planet (besides the bugs). It's a pain in the butt to find your base. I used beacons instead of regular lights because they're brighter, but yeah it's still a pain.
    6. Head to an asteroid belt. Check your map for yellow rings (check the wiki for an image). Also enable asteroid markers in your nav window. That way it'll show you waypoints for nearby asteroids. You can also check the nav window to find out what ores nearby asteroids contain.
    7. Yes, per plate.
    8. Yes but you only get scrap which is not as valuable as ore I don't think.
    9. I don't think so.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would save up credits but I'm not sure what I could be selling to the NPCs to make more money. I don't want to sell ore because we need that but what else can I sell?

Thank you for the help! Those are all really helpful. I think we'll stay on the planet but maybe I'll turn shadows off or something. Not sure yet. Or just deal with it. I'll make those beacons too. Maybe make a structure so tall I can see it from space.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Everything in the game is easily replaceable. Mine resources, use those resources to make your mining ship better, then once you're happy with it make a bunch of computers and sell them. From what I've read they sell for a high price compared to the raw ore.

Making a really tall structure on a planet is probably gonna lag hard. Planets are not just laggy - they're buggy. I've docked on one, and the next time I logged in my ship was in the center of the core. Once just the turrets were transported there. Once I was transported there and I had to admin warp to get out. Another time my ship was moved somewhere out in space and I had to make another ship to fly out to it. There's a bug that causes plates to sink into the core and you have to re-log to fix it. They're just buggy and it's not worth the effort to stay on one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just any computer to sell?

You mentioned building a space station. That's a big task! Or did you mean claiming one that's in space already? Can you do that? Can you put a build block on one too? And a faction module?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yes build blocks can be placed almost anywhere and the same thing with faction blocks. Hit the R key on the faction block to open the menu for it and it should have all the information you need.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not sure which computer is the best for making cash. Just take a look at your capsules, check to see which ones you have an abundance of, and make a bunch of *something* from them to sell. You can compare the shop prices to see how much more you're making as opposed to selling ore.

Building your own space station is actually pretty simple if you don't mind it looking bland. I'm making one out of grey hull. I've got so much metal and crystal that I'm not going to run out of hull any time soon. You can make a huge platform really quickly by using advanced build mode. Symmetry and the x-y-z sliders are your friends ;)

I thought you had to purchase a space station to build on it, but I'll defer to StormWing since I'm not sure.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Forget the computers, IMO. They're usually exactly 10x the value of the modules, and exactly 10x the material costs.

When I want money, I just run off warp gate modules to sell.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So warp gate modules for cash huh? I shall do that. They should implement another way to make cash other than crafting to sell lol.

What's the point of warp gates btw if they can only be built on planets or space stations? That seems silly. I thought they'd be to jump your ship across the galaxy. Is that not what they're for?

This is all very helpful though. I know about symmetry mode too. It's so helpful! But what is odd-sym mode? I didn't mess with it I don't think. Rather, I didn't change any default checked values, only set the planes for building.

I think our goal for tomorrow is going to be to mine the hell out of asteroids and make some docking stations on our planet then start on larger battleships.

I have no idea how to build anything good though haha. I've seen some amazing looking ships though. I want something medium sized and smaller that looks Star Wars esque. Maybe something like a Tie Fighter design. But that will require more than the standard block.

Do you all build a skeleton of power modules and then build the hull around that or do you do something else?

Oh and for servers, how do you change and see who is an admin and who is not?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    If you harvest lots of asteroids you will end up with a bunch of ores like DOLOM and LARIMAR, etc. They can be turned into paint but you can also craft them in a factory into CARVED LARIMAR, CARVED DOLOM, etc. Last time I played they were worth a lot more if you did this and sold them to a shop.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Warpgates can be used to warp things across the galaxy but you need to build one, mark it, than go to where you want the other and build one there, input the destination of the gate you marked, than hopefully if it worked you should be able to mark the new gate and fly through it to get back to the first one and input the destination to the new gate in that one. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That sounds complicated lol.

What about Jump Drives? Are they complicated to use? Do you need multiple Jump Modules or will one suffice?

Reaction score
    odd-sym mode is a setting that defines where the plane of symmetry is located.

Odd-sym runs the plane through the middle of a block to create a center row (resulting in you always having an odd number of blocks perpendicular to the plane). eg:
    Code:
    X X X X X
        |           - Symmetry is aligned on a center block
    Even-sym on the other hand places the plane on the seam between two blocks - in this system there is no central row and you will always have an even number of blocks perpendicular to the plane of symmetry. eg
    Code:
    X X X X
       |        - Symmetry is aligned on the seam between 2 blocks

Reaction score
    What's the point of warp gates btw if they can only be built on planets or space stations? That seems silly. I thought they'd be to jump your ship across the galaxy. Is that not what they're for?
    Think of warpgates as giant stargates floating in space.
    http://s24.postimg.org/g4csinsvo/Stargate204.jpg
    They allow you to travel large distances.

Jump drive that you can attach to ships allow you to jump shorter distances and take time to charge.
    Think of that more like warp drive.
    http://s27.postimg.org/6jm9yoik3/attachment_php_attachmentid_311705_d_1401308288.jpg

So the point is each are used for different purposes.

For general traveling within a single galaxy a jump drive does well.
    For traveling from galaxy to galaxy warp gate is the trick.
    For traveling the universe combination of warp gate/jump drive/ and worm holes work well.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The wiki post for warp gate says they can only be placed on a planet or space station. Is that true?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yep.
    I wouldnt try placing it on a planet though... it can be buggy.
    Going through a warp gate will warp you to the middile of the sector where to the reciver jumpgate is located.
    Understanding how to connect them up is a downright pain and I still get parts of it confused lol,
    Watching lot of tutorials helps.
    Regarding jumpdrives on ships,
    1. Place down the jumpdrive computer in a protected spot on the ship
    2. press'C' on the computer so its selected then black down jump drive blocks (these allow it to charge much faster)
    3. Stop placing them when they are either taking up too much power to charge or your happy with the charge up time (they are quite power hungery)
    4. Add the jump drive computer to the hotbar using the wepons menu (i think you press 't' or something)
    5. Hold right click (I think) to charge, left click to initiate jump.
    6. If you havnt selected a destination itll jump you in the direction your facing
    7. Press 'P' to bring up your map, find where you want to go, note down the cords.
    8. Use your nav menu to set a course for the cords you just noted down
    9. Now when you jump itll jump in the direction of your destiniation (it may take a few jumps depending on the distance)
    10. Whatever you do DO NOT jump into black holes or stars... so its always good to check your jump route first to make sure there arent any dangers along the way.

Any more questions, do you want anything here clarified :? (even after playing for 2 years I STILL learn new things everytime I play!!)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Nope that makes sense! Thank you!

Now I just need to make an awesome ship
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441282558,1441282300][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh I did want to know if there's a difference between Hull blocks and Armor blocks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hull blocks and armor blocks? What do you mean.
    Certain block types are used for armor (hull blocks).
    Btw try making a ship with 10 million plus blocks WHILE making its look nice and retrofitting all of its interiors :) You can literaly spend months making a ship in starmade :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    But there's grey hull and black hull etc but also grey standard armor and more
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441287865,1441287704][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, we're trying to get a docking station set up on our planet and it's not working. What do we need to do to be able to dock?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Standard armor and advanced armor are just upgrades to the basic hull, these can be expensive in really large amounts.

You need a rail on the planet and a rail docker on the ship. You use the docker as you would a weapon. Aim for the rail. Look into rails on the wiki if you hadn't already, or Bench's tutorials on YouTube, you can make some really neat stuff with them.