SO LOST

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    my friend and I started playing this morning on my own server and we are SO lost. We really could use some pointers. We found some asteroids and planets but have no idea what we should be doing at all. I bought a basic and standard factory from the shop but don't know the recipes. Where in game does it show recipes for things?

And is there a way to just walk on planets and asteroids? Turn gravity off and just walk on them?

Also, why are there no sound effects? I can only hear my ship and nothing else. No laser sounds, no walking, no music, nothing. Are there no sound effects at all?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Where in game does it show recipes for things?
    When you open the factory, there is buttons at the top of the window, one of them selects a block to produce, and once a block is selected another can show you what you need. I'd recommend grabbing a Capsule refinery to turn ores into useful junk.

And is there a way to just walk on planets and asteroids? Turn gravity off and just walk on them?
    Planets should have auto-gravity, meaning you can walk on them if you went down to the surface. Asteroids though, have no gravity, they are just rocks in spess.

Also, why are there no sound effects? I can only hear my ship and nothing else. No laser sounds, no walking, no music, nothing. Are there no sound effects at all?
    No sounds. Well, there is a "Thud" sound for getting hit, or being near blocks that are hit, plus a pew sound for cannons and a humming on the core. Game is Alpha, sounds are missing.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    There are next to no sound effects yet, as those don't have a high priority.
    Where in game does it show recipes for things?
    In the factory, select what you want to make. There should be a button like "show graph" next to the selector, click it. If it displays nothing, open and close the factory's menu and click it again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thanks for the help. What should I be crafting at first? Anything specific?

Is there an easy way to get back to my friend if we've lost each other too?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    On the top-right there is a map, below it are 3 numbers, the sector coordinates. tell them to your friend(or vice-versa), and he can use the navigation menu (n) and set a waypoint at those coordinates. Once there, you should be selectable in his navigation menu and vice-versa.
    As for what to craft specifically, I'd personally go with power and salvage-modules, in order to get more resources quickly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I gatcha. So just build a bunch of those and mine a planet or asteroid for resources?

How can I control my ship more easily? It seems I'm always spinning out of control

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    you mean when rotating with x or z?
    try holding ctrl and moving your mouse sideways.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm also getting a lot of lag on planets. Even though I have a 6 core processor @ 2.4 GHz with 8 GB RAM I'm still dropping in FPS. How can I fix this?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441122769,1441122331][/DOUBLEPOST]And how can I go faster than 74.8?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441124318][/DOUBLEPOST]We built a HUGE mining ship. It has probably 50 or so Salvage Modules and enough power to power them all and keep them going for a long time/indefinitely. But now we aren't sure what to make lol. There's so many blocks in the game. We probably just want to build up our ships and get more acclimated to the physics and such. We have trouble using the navigation but I may have figured out how to set waypoints so that will help next time.

Do you all build on a home planet where your factories and whatnot are? Or do you build them on your ship? We haven't quite figured out how to build on our ships yet so we picked a home planet and set a waypoint lol.

Last edited:

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    We built a HUGE mining ship. It has probably 50 or so Salvage Modules and enough power to power them all and keep them going for a long time/indefinitely. But now we aren't sure what to make lol.
    If you need inspiration on what to build, join a faction, a build server, or get on a server that promotes PVP.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you need inspiration on what to build, join a faction, a build server, or get on a server that promotes PVP.
    Not inspiration; direction. We need direction on what we should be building next. Our ships don't move that fast, so building faster and better ships is a priority right now, as well as mining. But we don't know how to make our ships go faster. We don't understand what the power modules do and how they work and whatnot. We just need help with it all. Not inspiration on ship designs yet.

We also don't understand the different functions of the types of materials, ore, crystals, capsules and minerals. If we had a better idea of what they were all used for, we could look for a specific type and narrow down our excavations.

Reaction score
    about the speed of ships.

with standart thruster with standart server settings, the max speed is 75, with an overdrive passive effect, it is 2 x 75 = 150

server max speed can be changed on settings in starmade folder ( most MP server use 100-150+ max standart speed )

but you don't want to spam W key for hours, so you will use Jump drive. use a jump computer, and connect jump modules, the more modules there are, the quicker is the jump drive loading ( it loads when you press left clic ) and you jump ( up to around 20km in standart settings ) by right clicking ( once jump drive is ready )

jump drive require quite a good amount of power to load.

about salvage ship, you should try to make a bigger ship, really, you need at least 30-300 non-adjacent line of 40-50 salvage modules to quickly eat any asteroid ( in less than 30 sec with Right click unfocused fire )

about power, don't make cubes of reactor, but make lines of power reactor, in line or in T or L or Cross shapes, you should use official wiki ( between Downloads and Help ), it explains rather well.

about lag on planet, planet are not very well optimized ( like salvage beams, beams, docked things, turrets, collision checks.....), most players have problem with them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    When you say non-adjacent line of salvage modules, what would that look like? And what do you mean by lines of power reactors? Can you show pictures maybe? Or link me to the right wiki page? Because there are tons of Power blocks and I'm not sure which one you mean.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Okay, so, what you need to make requires basic, standard, *and* advanced factories. Shields, specifically, take advanced factories. There's really no difference between the three factory types.

Basic Hulls
    --> Standard Armor
    --> Wedges

Cores

Power Reactors

Power Capacitors (for ships with any kind of gun bigger than a machinegun)

Thrusters

Shield Capacitors

Shield-Rechargers (dunno why the dash is in there, makes it weird to search them)

Weapon Computers (Cannon Computer, Damage Beam Computer, Missile Computer, Damage Pulse Computer)

Weapon Modules (Cannon Barrel, Missile Tube, Damage Beam Module, Damage Pulse Module)

Faction Module

Camera

Rail Turret Axis (two for each turret)

Rail Docker (two for each turret)

Bobby AI (one for each turret)

As for "non-adjacent" salvage things, he's talking about having outputs lined up in a Checkerboard pattern. Expand to suit your needs.
    I usually do 25 salvage modules per line, and have a second checkerboard filling in the empty spaces behind it.

X is the first layer, O is the layer behind it, or whatever.

XOXOX
    OXOXO
    XOXOX
    OXOXO
    XOXOX

You generally want your power reactors to be single lines, or whatever. A single group of reactors gets a bonus based on its dimensions (X + Y + Z), but not from the number of blocks in that group. So, a 10x10x10 solid cube of power reactors is less efficient per block than three 9 block lines branching off of a single corner block, and that same 3-way tree is just a tiny bit less efficient than a 28 block long rod.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That helps me out thanks!

Is there anything specific I should build once we finish salvaging? We aren't sure what we should be doing haha.

Reaction score
    this page of the wiki.

the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 power reactor layout are academic design. they have almost no purpose except in small drones.

last thing : an optimized line ( or cross or T or L...) of less than 9 block is less efficient ( energy/block ) than 9- groups of 9- blocks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ah, that link helps a lot thank you! I think if I understand right, that is how my friend built his ship. So it's just a matter of mining now. Whenever we do the scattered shot though, it doesn't seem to actually be mining anything. We'll have to take a look at it.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Ah, that link helps a lot thank you! I think if I understand right, that is how my friend built his ship. So it's just a matter of mining now. Whenever we do the scattered shot though, it doesn't seem to actually be mining anything. We'll have to take a look at it.
    Right click to mine like that so that the salvage beams don't converge on one block, use bigger groups, and slave a cannon system to the salvagers (if you have 25 lines of 25 salvage cannons, for example, you'll need to slave a cannon system to it with 625 cannon modules on it for 100% salvage time). "Normal" salvagers only fire for a second or two before reloading - salvagers with cannon slaves mine constantly, so they're the preferred tool.

As for what to build...
    Station? Ship? Doesn't matter.

Get an idea in your head, and make it a reality. Go big, give yourself something to work on that's big and fun and takes a lot of time. If you're in a safe place with turrets and such, why not work on a big ship with your friend? Like, in the 300 meter range, for starters. Add anything and everything that you want to. Interior design or whatever. It's a creative game, so do what you'd like. Make a glorious station or a cruise ship or whatever :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Right click to mine like that so that the salvage beams don't converge on one block, use bigger groups, and slave a cannon system to the salvagers (if you have 25 lines of 25 salvage cannons, for example, you'll need to slave a cannon system to it with 625 cannon modules on it for 100% salvage time). "Normal" salvagers only fire for a second or two before reloading - salvagers with cannon slaves mine constantly, so they're the preferred tool.
    So slave a Cannon Computer to the Salvage Modules instead of a Salvage Computer? Am I understanding that right? Also, do I understand the wiki post about Salvage Modules saying if they're in a block formation like so:

XXXX
    XXXX

then they are more powerful? Is that correct?

Winterhome

Reaction score
    So slave a Cannon Computer to the Salvage Modules instead of a Salvage Computer? Am I understanding that right? Also, do I understand the wiki post about Salvage Modules saying if they're in a block formation like so:

XXXX
    XXXX

then they are more powerful? Is that correct?
    No.

You need a Salvage Computer with Salvage Modules attached, and a Cannon Computer with Cannon Barrels attached. Then you press C to select the Salvage Computer, and press V to link the Cannon Computer. You can do that with any weapon system as the "slaved" system, on any weapon or support system. Cannon with Cannon slave is a machinegun, Missile with Beam slave is a high velocity long range missile, Salvage with Cannon slave is a "rapid" salvager, etc.

You don't want a "block" formation with salvagers, either. You want 25x1x1 lines of salvage modules in a checkerboard :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    OHHHH! THAT'S REALLY COOL! I'll have to try that. It would help if someone could hop in game with us next time to help us out lol.