SO LOST

Reaction score
    when slavage/weapons modules are like

XXXX
    XXXX they are more powerful, right, but only because all their power is gathered into 1 input.

making a

X X X X X

or a

XXXXX

salvage/weapon produce the same damage/salvage power per blocks, it will do 5 x 10 damages bullets by ex, or 1 x 50 damage

this is why you will do 20 groups of 25blocks by ex, instead of 500 groups of 1 ( huge area but very slow and laggy) or 1 groups of 500 ( 1 extremely powerful input, but hit one block at a time and so extremely inefficient )

however, doing this for weapons increases power cons by 10% for each new group of blocks. ( so it is more usefull to make several medium size groups, each with its own computer than many small groups, or one huge group ( except if you expect one-shoot ability ) )

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think I understand. We're going to have to redo our mining ship then :P. We didn't know you could slave the salvage computer to the cannon computer either. That will be a huge help.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Miner, starter factories on a planet or preferably a player made station if you have 1 million credits to make one, better miner, combat ship, real base/station, mothership. In that order.

Of course you can do what you want but that's generally what people do. Just one thing, did you skip the tutorial? If so, DON'T SKIP THE TUTORIALS. Just asking because I didn't do it in a very long time, so I'm unsure as to what it tells players (incidentally if your questions are answered in the tutorial).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Of course you can do what you want but that's generally what people do. Just one thing, did you skip the tutorial? If so, DON'T SKIP THE TUTORIALS. Just asking because I didn't do it in a very long time, so I'm unsure as to what it tells players (incidentally if your questions are answered in the tutorial).
    Also because the tutorials are awesomely made, a taste of things to come :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    My friend has a mining ship but I need to make one too but I'm out of credits. I suppose I could give myself some more if I wanted to cheat. But if I don't want else can I do to get more credits?

Also, how do you change the server settings?

I did skip the tutorials haha. I'll do them tomorrow

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Remember to sell all the rocks you gathered while mining (if you do a lot of mining), it may not be much, but some more cash to start you off is never a bad idea, and unless you intend to do a lot of decorating, they're useless anyway.
    Wherever the game is installed, there's a file called server.cfg - open with notepad. Lots of settings to modify.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yep I found it! Can't find the starting credits modifier but that's fine. I'll sell the useless junk. How do I find another SHOP NPC? I'm far away from the starting one. I guess I could always set a waypoint and find my way back. I increased the travel speed to 150 so it would be faster to get there.

Do I do anything with the minerals? Or is it really just the ore and crystals I want?

Oh and do factories have to be powered? If so, how do you?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Bad, bad, no, bad. Don't skip the tutorial, I can't stress this enough :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Afraid you'll have to either go back, or go exploring. I'd suggest back :D

Just for decoration at the moment i believe... Subject to change in the future. Probably.

Same as ships, lots of power modules. Long straight lines are the best options, T-shaped or such, as the look of the station allows. A matter of personal preference, really.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Do you have to link the power module to the factory or just being near it is enough?

And yeah I'll head back to the shop and sell my useless junk

And I'll do the tutorial maybe. I sort of have a grasp on it now. What does the tutorial cover? If I get a general list of topics I'll know whether I should go back to it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    You're using build block, right? If not, make one and use it. When in it just put the modules where you want them, no need to connect.

Everything and then some :D
    It covers the details that you might find useful.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What's a build block? Lol

Nvm I found it! Yeah that would help! Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So just so I'm clear, use a Build Block to make a T of Power Modules and then go into Build Mode and place the factories? That's how I do it?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The fun thing I do with salvagers is I take 2 salvager computers and interlace 2 checkerboards together so I can make a box and have as many beams as I want. :) This means less passes over a target to mine it and more beams. This works best when using logic controlled salvagers though since you can only manually use one at a time but with logic you can just turn it on and let it run. :)

As for being clueless as to what to do I'd start making pirate ships to challenge yourselves with since the starting pirates and stations must be rather boring by now. :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Press the esc key and the tutorial tab in the menu that pops up, the tutorial is split in sections, you can chose which you want to do. So FACTORIES, for example ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ha okay I'll do that!

Is there a way to save ships or dock them somewhere? For instance, a planet that's your home base?

I've learned a lot from this thread. If anybody wants to hop on my server tomorrow morning around 8:30 am est, let me know and add me on steam & xxmaelstrom or WNxTyr4el. I'd be glad to have some company. I also use Skype for voice.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441139683,1441138812][/DOUBLEPOST]How does advanced build mode work? I don't understand setting the axes and everything. Where do you set them? On your core? I do like symmetrical building lol. But how do the axes work?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You can set symmetry axis on any block and it doesn't have to be the core. As for saving your ships and stations open up the catalog with the U key and if in Single player there should be a single save button up top, that same button in multiplayer saves to local rather than the server, there is a button above it that saves to the server and a button the the right of it that lets you load up BPs from your computer. :)

Also what's your server IP setup a topic in the server section if you haven't already and it'll make it easier to grab people.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    When you are done with the tutorials, read the wiki.

If your factories are on a planet, you will also need Power Capacitors.
    Factories can not be placed on ships. Same for shops, shipyards....and I think I'm forgetting something.
    Make a homebase station, planets are limited in effectiveness. And harder to launch your ships.
    Use the Basic Factory to turn your minerals ( varis, etc) into carved versions. You'll get more credits.
    Eventually the shop won't be able to keep up with you. Make more factories and produce your own items.
    Buy/ make your own shop module and put it on your homebase. It's useful to store items.

Saving ships, depends what you mean.
    To save to disk, enter the core and press 'U', make a blueprint.
    To keep it protected, press 'H', make a faction, press 'M', make a station, put down a faction module, claim the station as homebase.
    Homebases and anything docked are invulnerable.

Cheat codes (not really, they are admin commands):
    • /give_credits <player> <amount
    • /give_slot <amount> (gives you <amount> of item in selected hotbar slot)
    • /shop_infinite (make the selected ('n') shop have infinite product)

By now, I'm hoping you've gotten the idea that the wiki contains a lot of answers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been reading the wiki a lot and it's helped in place of the tutorials I skipped. I will probably go back and do them tomorrow. Or I won't and I'll just take the knowledge I've gained here and build! I'll have to go back to the shop and get some more credits and blocks for my home base but I finally know how to claim a planet and build a good ship.