SO LOST

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, by default Jump Drives only move you about 16 km at a time, its very short range. Warp Gates can move you up to 1600 km at a time.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Actually the jump drive and warpgate ranges are in sectors not km. Jump Drives have an 8 Sector range by default and warpgates have a 128 sector range by default.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually the jump drive and warpgate ranges are in sectors not km. Jump Drives have an 8 Sector range by default and warpgates have a 128 sector range by default.
    Yeah, but given that nothing in the interface actually shows you distances in sectors, its a lot easier to just go by the km distances it does show you.

I did think that the warp gate distance was farther than that though. Huh, my bad. Good to know before I started building that bridge over to the next galaxy.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Depends on the server though, some have it higher and others lower but the general idea is the warpgates are usually 8 systems min and the jump drives are half a system min. :)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Depends on the server though, some have it higher and others lower but the general idea is the warpgates are usually 8 systems min and the jump drives are half a system min. :)
    Hence where I said "by default" at the start of the post. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The distance you can jump in KM changes depending on your sector size. I set my sector size to 5000 because I feel the planets are way too close with default settings. With a sector size of 5000 I can jump 40KM at a time. If you want to experiment with sector size use admin command /sector_size XXXX. Some people like sector size of 10000 then it really feels like vast open space.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Some people like sector size of 10000 then it really feels like vast open space.
    Slight thread hijack, but man do I hate those servers.

I'm more than happy to trade realism for playability. I hate spending 20 minutes just to fly down the street for coffee.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yep we figured it out! I made my way to an asteroid belt and we needed Maset so I started to mine some and instead of the normal several thousand I thought I would've had for mining two whole asteroids, I only had around 400. Is that normal for that ore?

Didn't see these other two posts. I'm fine with the default sector size for now. It doesn't bother me. There's too many graphical glitches as it it and I don't want to mess with anything right now until the game is optimized more. But we love it and are really enjoying our server. We spend a lot of time mining though and looking for resources. Our factories also take a long time to produce anything so the going is slow right now.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    You're faction has to own the system to get the mining bonus.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You're too quick :P. Just figured that out haha. So just plop down a faction module on a nearby planet or something?

Reaction score
    You're too quick :p. Just figured that out haha. So just plop down a faction module on a nearby planet or something?
    Yes but do it in a place you will remember where it is obviously you don't have to worry too much about faction points on a personal server, but if you claim too many places at one time you will drop into negative faction points.

This causes your home base to be vulnerable to attack by default (this can be changed in the server cfg) .

The best course of action is to set the faction block on a derelict station some place easy to remember ( i like stations because they are static options on the map that you can set a nav point for and find easily again) do your mining and then reclaim (if using a planet or asteroid) or destroy (if using a derelict station) so that your faction unclaims the area and it doesn't cost you faction points while you aren't mining there.

Edit: cleaned up format.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah I'll find a nearby station and drop it on there. But speaking of space stations, is it possible to find one that isn't decaying and the blocks are still good? I saw a video where that's how someone made money. It takes a long time to mine minerals and then turn them into carved versions. They sell for a lot but it takes a while to wait for them to refine. So how can I find a perfectly good station I can salvage?

Also, we've claimed a planet but haven't gotten attacked yet. When does that happen?

Also, how do you repair a broken one? It says press M but it doesn't say how much it costs or anything.

Reaction score
    Yeah I'll find a nearby station and drop it on there. But speaking of space stations, is it possible to find one that isn't decaying and the blocks are still good? I saw a video where that's how someone made money. It takes a long time to mine minerals and then turn them into carved versions. They sell for a lot but it takes a while to wait for them to refine. So how can I find a perfectly good station I can salvage?

Also, we've claimed a planet but haven't gotten attacked yet. When does that happen?

Also, how do you repair a broken one? It says press M but it doesn't say how much it costs or anything.

the cost is based on the value of the blocks in the station you are repairing so the more high value blocks the more the cost(you have to be on the station "and near its center of mass i think" then press m and u will get the repair option instead of the spawn new station option and the repair option will give you a cost.

Also right now pirates are bugged and don't spawn naturally at least as far as i can tell i've played for almost 100 hours now and have yet to see an actual pirate ship even when attacking a station.

I've been told that if you force spawn a wave of pirates then they will start defending stations but i don't know if that fixes their regular spawning and you need to do it each time you restart the server.

However its good to develop good habits for when things are working as intended

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What are the different ways to repair a ship? I repaired one at the shop yesterday but none of my blocks that were destroyed came back. Is there a way to recover lost blocks? If not, how can you prevent redoing every ship that gets damaged?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What are the different ways to repair a ship? I repaired one at the shop yesterday but none of my blocks that were destroyed came back. Is there a way to recover lost blocks? If not, how can you prevent redoing every ship that gets damaged?
    Make a shipyard. I recomend watching a tutorial on how, as they are a bit more complex than most structures. They can rebuild a ship to match a blueprint.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Right now though it'd be safer until the update to just make sure you have a copy of the ship saved as a blueprint and unmake the ship, than drop the blocks into the BP. That said that only works well for smaller ships, as for larger ones I'd just wait until the shipyard is functioning right.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Idk how to make a Blueprint :(

Also how do you claim a space station?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Blueprint ui is reached by pressing 'u', you must be in your core to save.

Press 'h' to get to the faction menu. Make a faction, invite your friend. Build/buy a Faction block and place it on your station. Press 'r' on the block and enter your faction sig.