SO LOST

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    You should still see the tutorials even if you know everything, if only for the looks. They're fancier than most of what you've seen in-game so far.
    Practice makes perfect mate. Welcome to StarMade, and enjoy your stay :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yes sir! I'll check them out! I'm gonna try to make an awesome miner tomorrow. I hope it turns out okay lol. I have no idea how to build it up right.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441152575,1441150298][/DOUBLEPOST]Is building a harvester like this efficient?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Yes sir! I'll check them out! I'm gonna try to make an awesome miner tomorrow. I hope it turns out okay lol. I have no idea how to build it up right.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441152575,1441150298][/DOUBLEPOST]Is building a harvester like this efficient?

Not sure if intended video or not

Reaction score
    You post fast. Check again :p
    The video is really old.
    The ship he built was small... and the power system very very small.

salvage modules have a cut off limit around 50 so you want them 50 in a line.
    The next mark is 99 but very small gain so 50 is what I always do.

You want about 10x10 (width/height) of single beams.
    so x is salvage module and o is empty space

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
    oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Ect.... line of 50...

The width and height make it easier to get all the blocks
    While the length makes each beam mine faster.

You need to also slave cannon computer with the salvage computer
    You need 1:1 cannon modules to salvage modules so you can fire non stop.

Really tutorial is your best bet
    Just run single player for little bit to run through tutorial.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You need to also slave cannon computer with the salvage computer
    You need 1:1 cannon modules to salvage modules so you can fire non stop.
    So I slave a salvage computer to a cannon computer is what you're saying? Is that what you mean? Do I only need one of each for all of those salvage modules?

Why do I need cannon modules if I'm only making a miner though?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Linking other systems to the salvage computer will give it different effects.....
    Linking cannons will make your salvage beams fire faster
    Linking beams will give your salvage beams more range
    Linking pulses will make your beams mine faster
    Linking missiles will spilt each salvage beam into multiple 'shotgun' type beams for maximum spread.

Do you understand? Im happy to clarify
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441158844,1441158655][/DOUBLEPOST]When youve got a hold of some of the basics, have a look at benchs channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/benchminecraft/featured
    He has tons of tutorials on logic and other useful systems.
    Ill try and find some other tutorials for you
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441159488][/DOUBLEPOST]http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-simple-graph-for-weapon-linking.3751/
    This chart is really useful for seeing how linking different systems together changes the output.
    I would still suggest that you join a friendly multiplayer server for a bit and get someone there to take you through the ropes ingame.
    When I get more free time I'm happy to help.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That's helpful thank you. I saw that linking different weapons systems provides different effects but I didn't know it could be done with salvage computers too. So if I just link one salvage computer to one cannon computer and all the salvage modules to the salvage computer, I can mine continuously?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    If you haven't done so already
    1) create a faction with the faction tab
    2) buy a faction block
    3) place faction block on a planet, abandoned station, or build a space station (requires 1 million credits)
    4) Press 'R' on faction block and claim system for your faction

This will give you (if I remember correctly) 12x the amount of resources per mined block.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's helpful thank you. I saw that linking different weapons systems provides different effects but I didn't know it could be done with salvage computers too. So if I just link one salvage computer to one cannon computer and all the salvage modules to the salvage computer, I can mine continuously?
    No, you need cannon barrels too.

The more even the module numbers are, the higher the efficiency, and the greater the effect.

If you had 100 salvage modules and 1 slaved cannon, it would be 1% efficient and you wouldn't have any real detectable difference.

For salvage/cannon, you only need around 75% efficiency to get a continual beam.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Have a look at some tutorials online, if they dont help find a player to show you or download different ships, pull them apart and see how they work.
    When I get more time ill create some screenshots on what to do

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ah I think I got it but I don't understand what purpose the cannon barrels serve if I'm going to be mining.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    They arent for firing..... you can just use them to 'boost' your mining lasors with unique effects and elements

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ah okay. So do the checkerboard pattern and every empty space make a cannon barrel? Also, do the salvage modules need to be deep as well? Like stacked deep 10x10x10? So 10 across, 10 down and 10 deep. Or can they just be singular modules? Do I need more than one computer too?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The checkboard pattern is to give you multiple salvage beams....
    If salvage blocks are touching they count as 1 'group'
    each group will only fire 1 beam equal to the power of all the blocks in its 'group'
    you can have as many groups as you like
    The checkboard pattern allows you to mine more effctivly and effciently

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your main system is the Salvage, this is the beam that fires to harvest your blocks.
    The secondary system is the Cannon, these blocks don't fire, they just give a support effect to your main system.
    You need Cannon blocks linked to the Cannon computer which is linked into the Salvage computer in order to "power" the secondary effect of lowering your cooldown time for the salvage beams. The more cannon blocks you link in, the more it reduces the cooldown. Think of it like a throttle. If you only want a little cooldown reduction, you only link in a few cannon blocks. If you want a lot of cooldown, you link in a lot of cannon blocks.

You checkerboard the Salvage beams in long single rows because any blocks that touch each other count as being part of one beam. So a 3x3x1 or a 9x1x1 arrangement each produce a single beam of equal strength. By checkerboarding them, you get lots and lots of beams for a very wide area. Its the difference between having a .22 and a shotgun.

While its not important where or how you put in the slaved cannon blocks (they don't fire, so only the number you have linked in matters), the fact you have empty space in your checkerboarded salvage lines makes that a great place to stick your cannon blocks too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I got it! I figured it out with my buddy. My ship is mining .7 blocks/s. How do I increase that number? More modules and cannons or more power?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    More modules. Check the weapons menu (press T while inside the ship) to see the percentages of slave and effect systems. Don't forget to add those modules as well. Power modules only if you're losing energy while shooting the beam.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Excellent. Thank you for your help

We've started making our planet and everything. We got the build block and faction module and claimed our planet. I have a few questions now that we're up and going.

1. What are some important ship blocks we should look into? We were thinking warp modules and jump gates but how do you construct one? I'll look at the wiki but any tips or anything would help. Also if there are any other blocks to look into, let me know
    2. How do the AI blocks work?
    3. To make the different levels of armor, do you really have to make grey and then turn that into the different colored armor pieces?
    4. Are there differences to the colors of armor? Or just aesthetics?
    5. Is there an easier way to find your home base on your home planet? I find myself circling the planet until I see the lights that we've made so I know where to land
    6. Other than just flying around, are there easier ways to find asteroids to mine?
    7. Resources on planets are random, right?
    8. I saw a video where the person mined a space station to sell its parts and blocks. Is that still possible? I've only come across decayed ones.
    9. Is there a danger to moving further out into space or is it all relatively random in terms of danger/reward?
    10. I'm also getting weird jagged shadows all over during day time on planets and they flicker and it's annoying. Is there an option I can change to fix this?

That's it for now! Thanks again! We're both really enjoying the game!

Last edited: