Reaction score
    The main post has been updated to reflect the changes and updates made this past week.
    (thank you guys for the apologies for the loss of my last comment and update to the main post.)

SMEdit now on version control with version 1.3.56 out for download
    (You will need to register on the support forums for SMEdit to download)

SMEdit Classic version 1.3.56
    Nice to see that updates are being made. I am however having problems. Namely the download provided isn't exactly public (due to registration requirement) and I can't launch the version I do have in 32-bit windows because it can't allocate the memory needed ("cannot create virtual machine" error) even if I try to launch it from a fresh boot with only 28% of my RAM in use (and I have 3.25 GB).

Why do we need an account on those forums to download it?

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Nice to see that updates are being made. I am however having problems. Namely the download provided isn't exactly public (due to registration requirement) and I can't launch the version I do have in 32-bit windows because it can't allocate the memory needed ("cannot create virtual machine" error) even if I try to launch it from a fresh boot with only 28% of my RAM in use (and I have 3.25 GB).

Why do we need an account on those forums to download it?
    I will update the option menu to be more clear but the memory use is in gigs so putting 5 there will allocate 5 gigs of ram, and you can't leave it at 0.

I will be making it more clear very soon sorry for the unclear explanation.

Sorry for the inconvenience of registration, but we need to know who is using the application and to start to build an actual support for the application based on more than just people tossing me a like here on the main game forum. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the love here, but I have way too much in the works and planned for this development and need to start to understand what the needs of the community are who use the application to make sure we get it all or at least what we need.

The compiled jar file is on the main svn and you can download it there if you want to make a point to not to take part in the community. I will still answer when people post their problems here.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I will update the option menu to be more clear but the memory use is in gigs so putting 5 there will allocate 5 gigs of ram, and you can't leave it at 0.

I will be making it more clear very soon sorry for the unclear explanation.
    What's to be sorry for? In my opinion it was something that was perhaps unanticipated.

Given that my typical 32-bit environment only allows me to use 3.25 GB (the other 0.75 being for the OS kernel), the version of SMedit Classic I do have (before it got "locked", which was before that memory option was implimented) basically is trying to allocate 1820 MB (1.8-ish gigs) to the application. Now my system is a scrooge about memory so it refuses to allocate more than 1152 MB (1.1-ish gigs) for it to use. As a result it crashes with "cannot create java virtual machine". I'm trying the SVN now.

And after trying it, despite the fact I'm checking this out on another PC with 64-bit windows, the SMedit launcher won't launch in 64-bit mode saying "this java instance doesn't support a 64-bit JVN". The test computer has both 32 and 64-bit java installed so it should be able to use both without issue. Defaulting to 32-bit with the launcher will not allow me to allocate more than 1.8 gigs of memory to it (and it only loads with 980 megs despite that), which I can get around using the cmd console command "java -Xmx6144m jo_sm_classic.jar" instead of the launcher.

BTW "OS Trype"? Typo. XD;

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What's to be sorry for? In my opinion it was something that was perhaps unanticipated.

Given that my typical 32-bit environment only allows me to use 3.25 GB (the other 0.75 being for the OS kernel), the version of SMedit Classic I do have (before it got "locked", which was before that memory option was implimented) basically is trying to allocate 1820 MB (1.8-ish gigs) to the application. Now my system is a scrooge about memory so it refuses to allocate more than 1152 MB (1.1-ish gigs) for it to use. As a result it crashes with "cannot create java virtual machine". I'm trying the SVN now.

And after trying it, despite the fact I'm checking this out on another PC with 64-bit windows, the SMedit launcher won't launch in 64-bit mode saying "this java instance doesn't support a 64-bit JVN". The test computer has both 32 and 64-bit java installed so it should be able to use both without issue. Defaulting to 32-bit with the launcher will not allow me to allocate more than 1.8 gigs of memory to it (and it only loads with 980 megs despite that), which I can get around using the cmd console command "java -Xmx6144m jo_sm_classic.jar" instead of the launcher.

BTW "OS Trype"? Typo. XD;

having both 32 bit and 64 bit is only good if both version of java the exact same. With Java it is almost better to skip the 32 bit version if 64 is what you have. You will run into more problems having both, and as I have seen this problems with SMEDit before this seems to be the case, but try and make sure that both 32 bit and 64 bit are the same version and try again.

Again truly sorry to hear your having problems.

Reaction score
    having both 32 bit and 64 bit is only good if both version of java the exact same. With Java it is almost better to skip the 32 bit version if 64 is what you have. You will run into more problems having both, and as I have seen this problems with SMEDit before this seems to be the case, but try and make sure that both 32 bit and 64 bit are the same version and try again.
    I tend to use Firefox and it only comes in a 32-bit format (they have 64-bit nightly builds which are very unstable). Java.com's advise is if you use a 32-bit browser to use 32-bit java and if you use both, to download both in their respective browsers. I checked my versions and 32-bit was V7 Update 60 while the 64-bit was V7U25. The 64-bit version wasn't updating itself. Dealing with that now.

Edit: Yeah.. Firefox is still definitely only publically available in 32-bit. The nightly builds are in version 33 and in 64-bit but very unstable as they intend these builds to be for testing purposes rather than daily use. I checked a site that uses java and standard Firefox doesn't seem to care that I'm using 64-bit java (the site isn't telling me I disabled java). Further now I can use the launcher properly to setmy memory limit rather than use the .bat commands I made for Jo's original SMedit version (as non-functional as it is in the current starmade builds)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I tend to use Firefox and it only comes in a 32-bit format (they have 64-bit nightly builds which are very unstable). Java.com's advise is if you use a 32-bit browser to use 32-bit java and if you use both, to download both in their respective browsers. I checked my versions and 32-bit was V7 Update 60 while the 64-bit was V7U25. The 64-bit version wasn't updating itself. Dealing with that now.

Edit: Yeah.. Firefox is still definitely only publically available in 32-bit. The nightly builds are in version 33 and in 64-bit but very unstable as they intend these builds to be for testing purposes rather than daily use. I checked a site that uses java and standard Firefox doesn't seem to care that I'm using 64-bit java (the site isn't telling me I disabled java). Further now I can use the launcher properly to setmy memory limit rather than use the .bat commands I made for Jo's original SMedit version (as non-functional as it is in the current starmade builds)
    No worries will lock down all we need for SMEdit and then once again we have all that we need. If you have any requests for added features (lol other than new blueprint reading and writing) just drop a line here and I will reply.

Reaction score
    No worries will lock down all we need for SMEdit and then once again we have all that we need. If you have any requests for added features (lol other than new blueprint reading and writing) just drop a line here and I will reply.
    How about this: when moving the core around a ship (in any direction), SMedit updates the "model" but does not automatically re-center on the core. It stays centered around what "8,8,8" originally was on the model. We can rotate the model around that point and that's it. It should rotate around the core block itself rather than the true "center" of the ship. Makes figuring out the placement of certain blocks a bit more difficult.

Or a scroll bar or something so we can move the ship in the cardinal directions around the screen. Whichever method isn't headache inducing. :)

Reaction score
    Sorry, I didn't read all of the posts above. I'm really, really, sorry, but I'm a little short on time right now and need to ask this just in case, but when I try to download it, all I get is a zip file, with absolutely no SMEdit.jar in sight. There is however in SMEdit_Classic/jo/sm/edit a SMEdit CLASS File... Which I obviously can't run... I can't try and make a .jar out of it using eclipse either, b/c CLASS Files don't show up in the src/(default package)... Am I the only one... what did I miss?

Sorry again for not reading the posts above, I kind of bet that it is up there somewhere

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sorry, I didn't read all of the posts above. I'm really, really, sorry, but I'm a little short on time right now and need to ask this just in case, but when I try to download it, all I get is a zip file, with absolutely no SMEdit.jar in sight. There is however in SMEdit_Classic/jo/sm/edit a SMEdit CLASS File... Which I obviously can't run... I can't try and make a .jar out of it using eclipse either, b/c CLASS Files don't show up in the src/(default package)... Am I the only one... what did I miss?

Sorry again for not reading the posts above, I kind of bet that it is up there somewhere
    no you wouldn't have gotten this answer by reading above have not come across this problem before. It is a jar file chose "save as" and make sure it downloads as "SMEdit_Classic.jar" don't let it download it as a zip it isn't one.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    smedit is now working for me, but for some reason 90% of my blueprints can't be imported due to some exception

Reaction score
    smedit is now working for me, but for some reason 90% of my blueprints can't be imported due to some exception
    You need to remember that if the blueprint uses any of the new blocks from 0.15x, Smedit won't open them. Some blueprints will also fail to load because of bad tag data. Here is an example snippet for my small-ish Destroyer (from 0.14x) as captured by the cmd console window (ran it from a .bat file so I could see the exact details of the error).

Code:
      Reading struct
      Reading member #1 controller (VECTOR3i)
      Reading member #2 idPos (VECTOR3i)
      Reading member #3 EffectStruct (STRUCT)
      Reading struct
    Bad tag data:
    0000  f3 fd 00 00  00 02 fd 00  00 00 19 00  f3 fd 00 00  ????????????????
    0010  00 03 fd 00  00 00 19 00  00 00 0d 00  09 50 6f 69  ?????????????Poi
    0020  6e 74 44 69  73 74 0a 00  0a 63 6f 6e  74 72 6f 6c  ntDist???control
    0030  6c 65 72 00  00 00 03 00  00 00 08 00  00 00 0b 0a  ler?????????????
    0040  00 05 69 64  50 6f 73 ff  ff ff fe 00  00 00 0a ff  ??idPos?????????
    0050  ff ff ee 0d  00 0c 45 66  66 65 63 74  53 74 72 75  ??????EffectStru
    0060  63 74 f3 fd  00 00 00 00  fd 00 00 00  19 00 f3 fd  ct??????????????
    0070  00 00 00 01  fd 00 00 00  19 00 f3 fd  00 00 00 02  ????????????????

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Bobby Bighoof can you please make it so that I can load ships with the recent patches. Smedit is the only thing that can save pretty ships, because systems are changing and we need a quick way to remove the systems, so that we can make new ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Bobby Bighoof can you please make it so that I can load ships with the recent patches. Smedit is the only thing that can save pretty ships, because systems are changing and we need a quick way to remove the systems, so that we can make new ones.
    Its not that easy. This is a hotfix so older blueprints can be loaded (if they haven't been modified by the new build already). He's working on a total re-write of SMedit that can handle the new stuff. You can check his own forums for progress updates (I'm not a frequent visitor there myself) on "SMEdit 2".

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So, i gave smedit an honest effort, and went into some fairly detailed hull coloring and symmetry efforts, and produced this Saajuk-Cor ion cannon frigate from the original Homeworld, using only the extracted .obj from the original game, and then hull coloring only in smedit Classic. This screenshot shows extensive battle damage after a major battle, though, but I have to leave something to the imagination - don't want anyone stealing the design before it's done %)

Unfortunately, smoothing doesn't work very well in Smedit or Classic, yet. Lots of artifacts were produced by "corner" hull blocks where they shouldn't have been, instead of wedges. Smedit probably shouldn't be allowed to use corner, penta, tetra in smoothing. Only wedges.

Reactions: stanlystarbuck
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So, i gave smedit an honest effort, and went into some fairly detailed hull coloring and symmetry efforts, and produced this Saajuk-Cor ion cannon frigate from the original Homeworld, using only the extracted .obj from the original game, and then hull coloring only in smedit Classic. This screenshot shows extensive battle damage after a major battle, though, but I have to leave something to the imagination - don't want anyone stealing the design before it's done %)

Unfortunately, smoothing doesn't work very well in Smedit or Classic, yet. Lots of artifacts were produced by "corner" hull blocks where they shouldn't have been, instead of wedges. Smedit probably shouldn't be allowed to use corner, penta, tetra in smoothing. Only wedges.

you can actually set it so that it only smooths with wedges

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Quick update for everyone interested or for those who do not visit the support site too much; Jo (the original SMEdit developer) has join us on the site and will be working as a consultant to the project as it continues.

The source will be returning to its original svn on github with the StarMade/SMTools team

https://github.com/StarMade

We will be leaving the old SMEdit as "SMEdit_Classic" for old game code and old blueprints, and will just continue on with SMEdit without changing to "SMEdit2"

I will become the official project leader / developer doing most of the leg work there to insure we get SMEdit back to being the leader and flag ship of StarMade modding tools (lol not that I wasn't much of a lead before now its just a bit more official with the support of Jo and the rest of the SMTools team.)

So look for a huge update / patch in the next few days. I have to get what we have cleaned up and committed to the github svn and make some changes to our update checks and downloads of updates.

These latest updates of the game have helped to push us back a few days to getting this ready for official changes but we will get it all locked down and have a change out very soon (sorry for the still lack of new blueprint math. It isn't going to be hard and it has gone on long enough without it sorry for the delay.)

Bobbybighoof, project leader
    SMEdit

Reaction score
    Bobby I had a question is it possible to re add starbase editing to smedit classic?