Shipyards on ships allowed if the first docked entity is a station

Support?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Shipyards on ships allowed if the first docked entity is a station.

The blocks could be placed on any ship, it's just that to place orders, you'd be forced to have your ship docked to a station.

That's literally it (except for the fact that it would no longer work when undocked. No blocks lost, just all orders stop working—oh, and first docked entity means the entity that is not docked. All docked entities in said chain are docked to that one, be it directly or not.)

Reasons found so far:

Very nice docking procedures, and god knows what else.

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    What happens if someone undocked the docked shipyard?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    what,if I am reading this right..you want to dock a station >>>to<<< a ship?

Reaction score
    Lolwut?

No. I dunno how you read that—oh, of course—final docked entity means the entity that is not docked. All docked entities in said chain are docked to that one, be it directly or not.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    No, he wants the ability to dock a ship with shipyard modules onto a station and have it work.
    Other than the idea you posted in chat, I see no reason why this should really be a thing.

Reaction score
    No, he wants the ability to dock a ship with shipyard modules onto a station and have it work.
    Other than the idea you posted in chat, I see no reason why this should really be a thing.
    I'd've thought that'd've been enough.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    final means the last in the chain,that suggested that the station will be the last in the chain of docked entities on the ship,thats how I read it. You should say the first entity is a station and when a ship with shipyard module docks to a station,the shipyard works.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I love this idea as it would allow you to create 100% modular station designs where all you need is the central core be a station and everything else can be docked modules.

On the other hand I still fully support being able to use shipyards and factories on ships themselves with some restrictions so you can be nomadic.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Easily replenishing fighters without having to fly them all in from station shipyards, while also not allowing for endless fighters in combat. Adaptable modular station assembly. Replenishing of shuttlebays. Probably other things I am not thinking of.

(I don't actually support this idea, TBH. Shipyards on ships should be possible and unlimited, the blocks should just weigh a ton. Likewise for factories. But that doesn't mean that this suggestion doesn't have uses.)

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I love this idea as it would allow you to create 100% modular station designs where all you need is the central core be a station and everything else can be docked modules.
    As do I, actually.

One thing I wish I could make is a colony box. Basically a building with power, factories, etc all laid out and ready to go that I could take to a planet, drop off, and have an instant ground base. Just put a docking block on the planet and plug in.

Hand those things out to n00bs, or simply make it where all the parts are affordable with your starting cash/blocks so that you can just blueprint it and have a quick start on a new server instead of having to build your survival shelter from scratch every time.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    Or stop just out of range. Press 'm,' add faction block and rail dock, dock and start production and push-launching of drone clusters?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Shipyards on ships allowed if the first docked entity is a station.

That's literally it (except for the fact that it would no longer work when undocked. No blocks lost, just all orders stop working—oh, and firstdocked entity means the entity that is not docked. All docked entities in said chain are docked to that one, be it directly or not.)

Reasons found so far:

Very nice docking procedures, and god knows what else.

Thanks for reading!!
    This entire thing would be possible and a lot more if they would take one small lesson from space engineers.
    That is allow ships to turn to stations and stations to turn to ships.
    It wouldn't be that hard to do even. It would be making a control to allow that activation/deactivation then set the flags from one to the other.
    Such as a station is stationary can't move. They would also need a way to allow a ships core to be part of a station and honestly that would be easy enough if they made it the first build block for stations as well. Then again I keep saying easy. That depends on how they wrote their code. If they had done like I would have done which is use the same class for the objects just different flags and such then it would be easy. However, they may very well have two entire different sets of classes built around each.

Then you could build a station with dockable modules which basically is what you are wanting with the shipyard on a ship.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    (Haven't read previous posts, but just putting in my 2 cents)

As you may or may not know, there is a Nomadic Revolution of sorts brewing up. This is a matter of wanting to live off of a ship. This forces us to use stations, when we don't want to have to rely on a station. And don't go on about it ruining the use of stations, as I've been over that many times on the Mobile Shipyards Thread and I really can't be bothered going over it AGAIN.

TL;DR No because reasons so fuck you. :P

Vive La Revolution!

Last edited:
    Reactions: wolfboyft
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    My opinion is that all blocks should be allowed on any structure.

Balancing the game can be done by only allowing some to work when docked to a station or requiring more size or power.

limits, blah!

If you can create the system, run it! the ability to jump across a galaxy within a couple mins on a Vanilla server is here. why cant we also run a shipyard or factory?